USC v UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick one

USC (same COA)
28%
UCLA (same COA)
72%

Total votes: 47

RubyRod

USC v UCLA

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:01 am

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ub3r

Re: USC v UCLA

Postby ub3r » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:25 am

I'll probably go UCLA. Not just because it's cheaper for me, but because it has better numbers in most significant categories.

That said, I'll visit them both for the first time in April and I'll have a stronger feeling for it then. But then again, not much that I see with my eyes can sway my emphasis on employment prospects.

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:53 am

ub3r wrote:I'll probably go UCLA. Not just because it's cheaper for me, but because it has better numbers in most significant categories.

That said, I'll visit them both for the first time in April and I'll have a stronger feeling for it then. But then again, not much that I see with my eyes can sway my emphasis on employment prospects.

Don't do it Uber. Think of Columbia! Just how the name rolls off the tongue. Columbia. Columbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHXc6IHeOG4

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Want to do biglaw? USC (2014 biglaw statistics indicate that USC did pretty well)
Want to do public interest? UCLA (more opportunities/clinics to get involved in public interest work)
Want to do clerkships? More or less equal

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Visit both. At this point it's more of a personal decision than anything. UCLA is probably slightly better overall, but it's such a small difference that you should probably just go to the one that you get a better feeling from when you visit. UCLA usually has slightly better employment outcomes (but the difference is pretty negligible and this fluctuates from year to year) and USC will probably have a lower COL (depending on where you choose to live). Also, USC has a much smaller class size if that matter to you.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:59 pm

UCLA! Not even close! :P

UCLA is on par with Michigan. USC is about on par with WUSTL.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:17 pm

UCLA because better employment outcomes and better location, imo.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:18 pm

At same COA, UCLA seems credited.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Dude. UCLA. Come on.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:21 pm

ub3r wrote:I'll probably go UCLA. Not just because it's cheaper for me, but because it has better numbers in most significant categories.

yea this was a weird year. they are usually identical with USC coming a little ahead. (if you counted firms with 50+ attorneys as big law last year, their bl/fc placement would be the same)

look at aba reports all the way back to 2009

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:28 pm

starry eyed wrote:if you counted firms with 50+ attorneys as big law last year, their bl/fc placement would be the same

Okay, but 50 attorney firms are quite specifically not biglaw.

OP: I said UCLA, and here's why

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:31 pm

one single year of data comparing usc and ucla is useless.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:41 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
starry eyed wrote:if you counted firms with 50+ attorneys as big law last year, their bl/fc placement would be the same

Okay, but 50 attorney firms are quite specifically not biglaw.

OP: I said UCLA, and here's why

dude: IN ONE YEAR (this past year), if you counted 50+ as big law, they would be almost identical

in past years, USC has held a slight edge... now tell me how UCLA is the clear winner here?

It's pretty lame to spout off percentages on one year of data and think you are making a winning argument.

since we are talking percentages, the school funded job rate is like 10% higher at UCLA-that's bad

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Wait for this year's ABA date to come out. Most of the time USC and UCLA are about the same in terms of employment. Last year may be an aberration or the start of a trend

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Okay, I'm not here to do all of OP's research for him/her. I linked to a page I could type the url for off the top of my head as a good place to start comparing schools. OP definitely should consider data going back several years. OP should consider a lot of things. If OP is smarter than some of the rest of you seem to be, I'm sure this info won't be too difficult to find.

Also, the fact that you only want to call 50+ attorney firms biglaw for one year doesn't make it any less of a dumb idea. Saying the same pretty stupid shit twice and thinking you're making a winning argument is beyond lame. I agree with the dark shepard, it would be best if you could wait for this year's data--last year could totally be an outlier. Most people I've talked to don't think so.

OP, if you're just gunning for biglaw, I say pick the one you want to live near more. UCLA seems to have more varied placement in good outcomes than USC, and the impression I've gotten is that last year wasn't a fluke--UCLA's placement power is probably going to continue to be greater than USC's. So it got my vote. Best of luck at whichever school you attend.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:06 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Okay, I'm not here to do all of OP's research for him/her. I linked to a page I could type the url for off the top of my head as a good place to start comparing schools. OP definitely should consider data going back several years. OP should consider a lot of things. If OP is smarter than some of the rest of you seem to be, I'm sure this info won't be too difficult to find.

Also, the fact that you only want to call 50+ attorney firms biglaw for one year doesn't make it any less of a dumb idea. Saying the same pretty stupid shit twice and thinking you're making a winning argument is beyond lame. I agree with the dark shepard, it would be best if you could wait for this year's data--last year could totally be an outlier. Most people I've talked to don't think so.

OP, if you're just gunning for biglaw, I say pick the one you want to live near more. UCLA seems to have more varied placement in good outcomes than USC, and the impression I've gotten is that last year wasn't a fluke--UCLA's placement power is probably going to continue to be greater than USC's. So it got my vote. Best of luck at whichever school you attend.

DOUCHEBAG ALERT

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:10 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Okay, I'm not here to do all of OP's research for him/her. I linked to a page I could type the url for off the top of my head as a good place to start comparing schools. OP definitely should consider data going back several years. OP should consider a lot of things. If OP is smarter than some of the rest of you seem to be, I'm sure this info won't be too difficult to find.

honing in on an almost irrelevant point of mine and adding curse words is a nice strategy... don't include the 50+ firms. then UCLA comes out ~5% ahead last year. you win bro- at least until the next report comes out lol

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:44 pm

I have done a lot of research on numbers and data. Thank you for the advice to wait on ABA for this year, I will definitely check to make sure this is not a trend. I was hoping to hear more outside of the data, which I am indeed smart enough to check, and the people giving thoughtful advice on the topic are very obviously aware of and able to understand the question was about something more than the rankings or statistics which are readily available. Numbers are crazy close, as is location for these schools. I am looking for input that I clearly cannot find on through simple internet research.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah, the locations are close as in both schools are in the same city, but the locations might as well be worlds apart based on surrounding neighborhoods.

Visit both before deciding, obviously.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Rigo wrote:Yeah, the locations are close as in both schools are in the same city, but the locations might as well be worlds apart based on surrounding neighborhoods.

This is more what I meant about the one you want to live near more, OP. They will feel significantly different. If you haven't already (sounds like you haven't) I'd echo the other posters urging you to visit both.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:00 pm

i have a hard time believing the COA would be the EXACT same. I would honestly choose the one that was cheaper, even if it's a 10k difference. That's savings/ability to buy a boat instead of putting toward debt.

I mean apartment options alone would account for UCLA being more expensive. Isn't it in the nice area of LA?

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:10 pm

starry eyed wrote:i have a hard time believing the COA would be the EXACT same. I would honestly choose the one that was cheaper, even if it's a 10k difference. That's savings/ability to buy a boat instead of putting toward debt.

I mean apartment options alone would account for UCLA being more expensive. Isn't it in the nice area of LA?

yea, but this assumes that op will live in close proximity to the school.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:29 pm

chimp wrote:
starry eyed wrote:i have a hard time believing the COA would be the EXACT same. I would honestly choose the one that was cheaper, even if it's a 10k difference. That's savings/ability to buy a boat instead of putting toward debt.

true. though i would personally prefer to live right next to my school as i have dealt with the commute in UG lol.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 pm

starry eyed wrote:
chimp wrote:

true. though i would personally prefer to live right next to my school as i have dealt with the commute in UG lol.

same here. LA traffic is no joke. but living 5-10 miles away from UCLA could make a huge difference rent-wise, so it could be worth it.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Am I right to plan on getting an apartment within biking distance to UCLA? I heard parking is extremely hard to come by.

Also, how similar is USC in this regard?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”