Trying to defer $$$ at WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
msmizz85

Trying to defer $$$ at WUSTL

Postby msmizz85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi!

I applied to WUSTL in January before deciding that I wanted to take a gap year. WUSTL responded by accepting me and offering me $$$$. I want to defer the acceptance and scholarship. Do schools generally let students do that or will I have to let go of the offer? Also, can I expect similar offers in the next cycle?
Last edited by msmizz85 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: Trying to defer $$$ at WUSTL

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 pm

are their deferrals binding?

msmizz85

Postby msmizz85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Clearly wrote:are their deferrals binding?

I don't know. If so, I don't think I'd be willing to agree to that.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Just ask them directly

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 pm

What do you mean by public interest law? And where do you want to live? You're probably going to say anywhere, or you're open, or you don't care but seriously, where would you prefer to live and work long term?

Limiting debt is a good call. But top 25 or so is a meaningless distinction, WUSTL would probably only be your best bet if you're targeting PI in St. Louis or some place close to the school. Is that what you're gunning for?

msmizz85

Postby msmizz85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:What do you mean by public interest law? And where do you want to live? You're probably going to say anywhere, or you're open, or you don't care but seriously, where would you prefer to live and work long term?

Limiting debt is a good call. But top 25 or so is a meaningless distinction, WUSTL would probably only be your best bet if you're targeting PI in St. Louis or some place close to the school. Is that what you're gunning for?

No, I'm really not targeting St. Louis. I know I want to live and go to law school in a city, but I am open to anywhere.

Since thats not the case, I am probably better off weighing my options. My biggest concern is that this is my best offer scholarship/ranking wise that I'll get. Will Wash U hesitate to offer me this next year if I turn it down?

msmizz85

Postby msmizz85 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Further info: I'm leaning towards working as a public defender or within the non-profit sector. Not gunning for super prestigious public interest positions.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:32 pm

msmizz85 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:What do you mean by public interest law? And where do you want to live? You're probably going to say anywhere, or you're open, or you don't care but seriously, where would you prefer to live and work long term?

No, I'm really not targeting St. Louis. I know I want to live and go to law school in a city, but I am open to anywhere.

Since thats not the case, I am probably better off weighing my options. My biggest concern is that this is my best offer scholarship/ranking wise that I'll get. Will Wash U hesitate to offer me this next year if I turn it down?

They'll probably offer it again. But you might not even bother with WUSTL if you aren't targeting Saint Louis.

Seriously, where would you prefer to live? Your answer to that question will guide whether this is an offer you even need to have next cycle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”