The importance of location (WUSTL/U of I/SLU)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hands

The importance of location (WUSTL/U of I/SLU)

Postby Hands » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Hey, I was hoping I could probe some of you for opinions on the importance of law school location in regard to finding employment in a desired market. As of right now, I have been accepted to two of the three schools to which I have applied (listed in the title): University of Illinois and St. Louis University, both on full scholarships. I am expecting to receive acceptance from WUSTL with little if any scholarship money (which is what I received when I applied there in 2014).

What is the best course of action if I intend to find employment in the Great St. Louis Area? The best value would certainly seem to be U of I (a national ranking fifty spots higher than that of SLU, but for the same cost), but I would not establish the GSA connections of the other two.

Would I be better served taking the full ride at SLU? Instead, would I be best served to try and leverage a good first year at SLU to a transfer (and hopeful scholarship money) at WUSTL? I'm not familiar with the logistics of law school transfers and do not know if that's even a viable option.

Winston1984

Re: The importance of location (WUSTL/U of I/SLU)

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:21 pm

You should go to SLU if you want to practice in St. Louis. Now if you get into WUSTL with a good scholarship, obviously that comes into play.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:25 pm

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 pm

sublime wrote:Are you from St. Louis. Did you go to High School here?

But yea, especially if you are from here and are ok with local gov't work or small firm work in the area, SLU for free is a fine choice.

The bane of existence of living in St Louis: "Nice to meet you _____. So, where did you go to high school?"

Hands

Postby Hands » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:05 pm

sublime wrote:Are you from St. Louis. Did you go to High School here?

But yea, especially if you are from here and are ok with local gov't work or small firm work in the area, SLU for free is a fine choice.

I grew up in rural Illinois about 80 miles Northeast of St. Louis. I've also only experience the "what high school did you go to" thing in anecdotes about St. Louis-- I've never personally been myself.

Going to SLU seems like the sensible choice, if not for my vanity about going to lower ranked school.

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:46 pm

What kind of work are you hoping to do after law school?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”