Fordham ($) vs. Cardozo ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school

Fordham 30k
50%
Dozo full scholly
50%

Total votes: 10

confused_humpback

Fordham ($) vs. Cardozo ($$$)

Postby confused_humpback » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:57 am

The run down ..

Fordham COA is 250k with a 90k scholarship (top 40% stipulation). Will be borrowing to make up the 160k difference.

Cardozo COA is 240k with a full tuition scholarship (no stipulations). I'd be borrowing 80k for my cost of living.

I'm from NYC. Want to work in NYC—have no significant ties elsewhere. My career goals are to do labor issues related public interest work (501(c)(3) workers' centers, co-op associations, etc) and to do union-side labor law.

My GPA was a weak 3.2 (at a non-prestig UG), few years out of school, generally weak softs. LSAT was 170, but I took it twice (161 first attempt).

deadpanic

Re: Fordham ($) vs. Cardozo ($$$)

Postby deadpanic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:04 am

Do not go to either. Both would be terrible options. You under performed for your numbers. Reapply early next cycle.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:06 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

confused_humpback

Postby confused_humpback » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:20 am

deadpanic wrote:Do not go to either. Both would be terrible options. You under performed for your numbers. Reapply early next cycle.

I've actually been told this before. My only question is what would my alternative be? I don't think my numbers are good enough to secure significant scholarships at T-14s or other, better schools in NYC. Keep in mind, Fordham offered me their highest merit amount.

The only apparent alternative is to be trying to score full rides at mid-ranked T1 schools. And I'm not sure how important school rank is to my situation considering I'm not going in the direction of biglaw? And I'm not so keen on waiting another year if it just means leaving NYC for just a full ride no stipend scholly from a different school that is ranked slightly better.

That's just my logic on the situation—not sure if I'm missing a blind spot.

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 am

confused_humpback wrote: Keep in mind, Fordham offered me their highest merit amount.

Actually, this is not true. Even disregarding named scholarships, they go higher than 90k. I received a $105,000 total with no stips from Fordham this cycle at first.

If you decide to wait a cycle but really do want to end up at Fordham next cycle still you should stay in touch with them via email, let them know how much you want them, etc and then get back to them next year/see what they offer.

Not really advising on what choices you should make, but just wanted to tell you what little I do know.

confused_humpback

Postby confused_humpback » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 am

tealeaves12 wrote:
confused_humpback wrote: Keep in mind, Fordham offered me their highest merit amount.

Actually, this is not true. Even disregarding named scholarships, they go higher than 90k. I received a $105,000 total with no stips from Fordham this cycle at first.

If you decide to wait a cycle but really do want to end up at Fordham next cycle still you should stay in touch with them via email, let them know how much you want them, etc and then get back to them next year/see what they offer.

Not really advising on what choices you should make, but just wanted to tell you what little I do know.

Ah yeah. They did mention I would probably get that 5k increase if I negotiated. Didn't really follow through because even at 35k/year it didn't sound very practical in my situation. Thanks for the heads up.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:40 am

Didn't realize Fordham had such sTTTipulations.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:41 am

But yeah, wouldn't go to either. But if you are going to go, Dozo is a better option here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”