UNC vs Indiana vs Colorado vs BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BlueLotus

Re: UNC vs Indiana vs Colorado vs BC

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:37 pm

I would have been much happier at a T14 (or any school that would give me a decent chance at a remunerative career). I will regret for the rest of my life not retaking the LSAT and going to school with better employment outcomes.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 pm

BlueLotus wrote:I would have been much happier at a T14 (or any school that would give me a decent chance at a remunerative career). I will regret for the rest of my life not retaking the LSAT and going to school with better employment outcomes.

I know people from NU with good grades who are unemployed. Also, difficult employment options don't make everyone go crazy.

Oh, and they too have an incompetent administration, are crazy expensive, bad food, bad winters, etc.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:I would have been much happier at a T14 (or any school that would give me a decent chance at a remunerative career). I will regret for the rest of my life not retaking the LSAT and going to school with better employment outcomes.

I know people from NU with good grades who are unemployed. Also, difficult employment options don't make everyone go crazy.

Oh, and they too have an incompetent administration, are crazy expensive, bad food, bad winters, etc.

Do you really think it's a viable option for OP to go to BC at STICKER price if he wants to work in Denver? Think of the cost of living in Boston. That kind of debt is going to be insane. I'm doing my public duty by discouraging him from going.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:08 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Do you really think it's a viable option for OP to go to BC at STICKER price if he wants to work in Denver? Think of the cost of living in Boston. That kind of debt is going to be insane. I'm doing my public duty by discouraging him from going.

The OP already said they wouldn't be going to BC at sticker

I'm not HoGo, but I think she was just responding to your illogical grudge against BC. You're on to something, but you're failing to realize that the problem is not really the school itself. I'm not saying that to try and kick you while you're down, I think that's just the reality.

I do sincerely hope you're able to break out of this funk and get the job that you want.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:BC is a TTTrap. Stay far, far away. Worst life decision I've ever made.

Go on...

The school literally destroyed my mental health. Incompetent shitboomers run the administration, high price tag (thankfully I got a scholly, but they are generally stingy), mediocre outcomes (stuck in the Vale myself, as are folks in the top of the class), terrible food, ghastly weather, cutthroat dog-eat-dog student body, recent free-fall in the rankings...shall I go on?

eschewing responsibility is productive

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:26 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:BC is a TTTrap. Stay far, far away. Worst life decision I've ever made.

Go on...

The school literally destroyed my mental health. Incompetent shitboomers run the administration, high price tag (thankfully I got a scholly, but they are generally stingy), mediocre outcomes (stuck in the Vale myself, as are folks in the top of the class), terrible food, ghastly weather, cutthroat dog-eat-dog student body, recent free-fall in the rankings...shall I go on?

I'm just dissuading people from likely financial ruin.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm

BlueLotus wrote:

eschewing responsibility is productive[/quote]

I'm just dissuading people from likely financial ruin.[/quote]

If your mental health couldn't handle law school, then there's an issue with your mental health and/or your decision to go to law school. You can't blame the T1 school for your personal issues. Along the same lines, if kids at the "top" of the class at a school that places something like 33% in biglaw/fedclerk are stuck in the vale, that's extremely likely to be an issue with those individuals at the top of the class. Doing decently at a decent law school is only half the battle for getting a job. You also need to be a person who can interview somewhat competently and does not have a terrible attitude...similarly, you still need a decent strategy and some degree of hustle, whether that means bidding well or networking in the region and legal arena you want to work in during LS, people at tops of classes aren't just entitled to jobs...even at t6's.

you say terrible food...what the hell are you talking about? boston has bad food? or are you saying the cafeteria at BC has bad food? and like who cares? we are all adults. if the food is bad, don't eat it. eat something else, bring something from home. who gives a shit?

ghastly weather is not an issue you have with bc law. it's an issue you might have with the northeast. yeah, it's cold 3 months of the year. that's what happens in the top half of the country. you would have the same issue with harvard.

nobody else reports a cutthroat student body at BC, which again supports the inference that there is something wrong with you on a social level. in fact, that is usually why people come to BC over BU (all else being equal)--because people typically report better student body interactions/mindset/whatever.

"free fall" in the rankings? are you talking about the ludicrous USNWR, or are you talking about something like ATL that actually ranks based on legitimate things like employment outcomes (I believe BC is something like 20)? If the former, you are dumb and sound like a 0L who doesn't know anything about anything; and if the latter, you are wrong.

If you want to say that a regional powerhouse school like BC is a moderately risky decision, in the aggregate (ie across a random sample of applicants), at sticker (given how much it costs and the % that get biglaw), fine. that's reasonable advice and is all over TLS...but your attempts to dissuade people from going to the school you graduated from because you personally and a small handful of people you know have issues--social, mental, attitudinal, whatever, are not helping anybody.

you troll against BC in this absurd way all over these forums. give it a rest and get some help.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:44 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

I'm just dissuading people from likely financial ruin.[/quote]

If your mental health couldn't handle law school, then there's an issue with your mental health and/or your decision to go to law school. You can't blame the T1 school for your personal issues. Along the same lines, if kids at the "top" of the class at a school that places something like 33% in biglaw/fedclerk are stuck in the vale, that's extremely likely to be an issue with those individuals at the top of the class. Doing decently at a decent law school is only half the battle for getting a job. You also need to be a person who can interview somewhat competently and does not have a terrible attitude...similarly, you still need a decent strategy and some degree of hustle, whether that means bidding well or networking in the region and legal arena you want to work in during LS, people at tops of classes aren't just entitled to jobs...even at t6's.

you say terrible food...what the hell are you talking about? boston has bad food? or are you saying the cafeteria at BC has bad food? and like who cares? we are all adults. if the food is bad, don't eat it. eat something else, bring something from home. who gives a shit?

ghastly weather is not an issue you have with bc law. it's an issue you might have with the northeast. yeah, it's cold 3 months of the year. that's what happens in the top half of the country. you would have the same issue with harvard.

nobody else reports a cutthroat student body at BC, which again supports the inference that there is something wrong with you on a social level. in fact, that is usually why people come to BC over BU (all else being equal)--because people typically report better student body interactions/mindset/whatever.

"free fall" in the rankings? are you talking about the ludicrous USNWR, or are you talking about something like ATL that actually ranks based on legitimate things like employment outcomes (I believe BC is something like 20)? If the former, you are dumb and sound like a 0L who doesn't know anything about anything; and if the latter, you are wrong.

If you want to say that a regional powerhouse school like BC is a moderately risky decision, in the aggregate (ie across a random sample of applicants), at sticker (given how much it costs and the % that get biglaw), fine. that's reasonable advice and is all over TLS...but your attempts to dissuade people from going to the school you graduated from because you personally and a small handful of people you know have issues--social, mental, attitudinal, whatever, are not helping anybody.

you troll against BC in this absurd way all over these forums. give it a rest and get some help.[/quote]

Can you defend this kid going to a school with an LST employment score of 63% at STICKER? That kind of debt is unsustainable.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:06 am

BlueLotus wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

I'm just dissuading people from likely financial ruin.

objctnyrhnr wrote:If your mental health couldn't handle law school, then there's an issue with your mental health and/or your decision to go to law school. You can't blame the T1 school for your personal issues. Along the same lines, if kids at the "top" of the class at a school that places something like 33% in biglaw/fedclerk are stuck in the vale, that's extremely likely to be an issue with those individuals at the top of the class. Doing decently at a decent law school is only half the battle for getting a job. You also need to be a person who can interview somewhat competently and does not have a terrible attitude...similarly, you still need a decent strategy and some degree of hustle, whether that means bidding well or networking in the region and legal arena you want to work in during LS, people at tops of classes aren't just entitled to jobs...even at t6's.

you troll against BC in this absurd way all over these forums. give it a rest and get some help.

Can you defend this kid going to a school with an LST employment score of 63% at STICKER? That kind of debt is unsustainable.

BlueLotus- Maybe try reading the thread before shitting all over it? Only one person here even suggested going to BC, and that was only if OP was interested in biglaw (which OP had already stated s/he was not). That bad advice was quickly dismissed. No one else suggested that OP go to BC, and s/he stated a few times s/he wasn't considering it. It was a settled matter, and then you came in and shit all over the place. Objctnyrhnr's analysis was pretty spot-on.

To the OP- CU has my vote here. Lateraling or relocating out of the market of a regional school is like transferring schools; it's not impossible, but it is difficult enough that it should not be "the plan." If you want to end up in Denver, the most realistic way to make that happen is to go to school there. Could you get to Denver from UNC? Perhaps, but it would be significantly easier out of CU. Not to mention the whole "do 5-10 years in Charlotte before uprooting my life and moving 1/2 way across the country" plan sounds like throwing away 5-10 years of effort building a network and a life/home in NC.

TL/DR: Bluelotus needs to stop shitting on this thread and OP should go to CU.

barbiegurl

Postby barbiegurl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 pm

I say go to CU, especially if you want to work in Denver. Colorado has a solid legal market (only two law schools, so it's not over-saturated with graduates). I just visited CU, and the school has a great vibe with engaging faculty and good programs. It's also ridiculously beautiful.

LVbucknell

Postby LVbucknell » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:32 am

So assuming CU is out of the question, which school would be best. Assume the same goals and such.
basically my family is highly discouraging CU, and has offered to pay 1 years tuition at any school other than CU.
We have a bad personal history of people going to CU in my family such as drop outs and the like. All my family is from Denver/ Boulder, thats why there is a connection with CU.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 am

LVbucknell wrote:So assuming CU is out of the question, which school would be best. Assume the same goals and such.
basically my family is highly discouraging CU, and has offered to pay 1 years tuition at any school other than CU.
We have a bad personal history of people going to CU in my family such as drop outs and the like. All my family is from Denver/ Boulder, thats why there is a connection with CU.

Well, if you want to work in CO, that essentially just leaves CU and DU. If you won't go to CU, and didn't apply to DU…

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 am

middlebear wrote:
LVbucknell wrote:So assuming CU is out of the question, which school would be best. Assume the same goals and such.

Well, if you want to work in CO, that essentially just leaves CU and DU. If you won't go to CU, and didn't apply to DU…

Yup

Again, don't go to law school until you have a much firmer grasp on how legal hiring works. Packing up and moving to a random school in Indiana, North Carolina, etc. when you want to work in Colorado is a recipe for ending up without a legal job and wasting 3 years of your life. No firm in Colorado that does water law is going to care that you went to UNC.

N
O

F
I
R
M

W
I
L
L

C
A
R
E

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:34 am

OP: I see that the post irked you and you called it, like, not constructive, but it's the best advice that has been given thus far in the thread, so I am going to quote it for truth.
BigZuck wrote:I say none of the above because you don't understand how law school and legal hiring works. Law school just doesn't make sense at this point in time.

Law schools place regionally, there is no geographic flexibility here to be found.

Once you acquire more focus then TLS can give you advice.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:37 am

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Seems to be a bit of misinformation floating around in this thread. Colorado does not have "a solid legal market". And most firms do care very much where an applicant attended law school.

Indiana & Colorado have two of the three lowest "employed at graduation" percentages among the top 43 law schools (Wash & Lee has horrendous placement figures at graduation).

Top Colorado law grads cannot even get interviews at a couple of the largest Denver firms because they're not T-14.

Nevertheless, among your choices CU is the best option in light of your strong geographical preference. CU does have an environmental law journal & significant participation can be very helpful in your job search.

LVbucknell

Postby LVbucknell » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:58 pm

landshoes wrote:0L but with a lot of ties to the legal market in CO, family members who are prominent attorneys there, etc.

CU is the correct answer for water law in your situation. Your family is being irrational and it's really weird that they associate the state flagship with loserdom. What do they mean, people have dropped out? It really is bizarre. Are they hardcore anti-Boulder types? IDGI.

WUSTL is not really on the map in CO. That's not to say that you couldn't convince people that it's a good school, but it doesn't carry any particular prestige there that would make it better than CU, especially if you're looking at sticker. Sticker at WUSTL for CO water law is really quite crazy. So that option, at least, is out.

I really wish I were interested in settling in CO long-term, because the quality of life in Boulder is unbeatable.

Yes. My dad and multiple other family members and close friends went to CU undergrad, couldn't deal with the distractions and dropped out. So yeah it's as simple as that and really dumb. They aren't anti boulder, just against it as a school environment.

They are willing to pay 1 year at another school though, making UNC and Indiana essentially full rides.

As far as DU goes, they didn't give me much of a scholarship.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:26 pm

LVbucknell wrote:Yes. My dad and multiple other family members and close friends went to CU undergrad, couldn't deal with the distractions and dropped out. So yeah it's as simple as that and really dumb. They aren't anti boulder, just against it as a school environment.

They are willing to pay 1 year at another school though, making UNC and Indiana essentially full rides.

As far as DU goes, they didn't give me much of a scholarship.

I mean, there's a reason I refused to even apply to CU undergrad - but the law school experience is going to be completely different. And you can't let them having biases that even you admit are "really dumb" lead to you picking a school that won't get you to the market you want to work in.

And yeah, since DU didn't give you a lot of money, they're definitely not worth picking over CU. Boulder's the right call, don't let your parents inadvertently trick you into trapping yourself in North Carolina for the rest of your life.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:49 pm

In case this helps your family at all, the law school is on the edge of the main campus, in its own little bubble, with very little connection to or contact with the UG/main campus (unless you want to make the effort, of course). You also don't have to live in Boulder.

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 pm

If BigLaw isn't your focus, go with the cheapest option. You'll be happy you did in the long run.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”