UW ($$$$) or Duke ($$) for Seattle Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UW vs Duke

UW
78%
Duke
22%

Total votes: 37

rpupkin

Re: UW ($$$$) or Duke ($$) for Seattle Law?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 pm

UFlaw99 wrote:Bro simply go to UW because it will cost less and you get no advantage from going to DUKE in Sea-tac. If prestige of DUKE is what you are looking for then you will need to work in the East Coast or the South East where most of the hiring from DUKE will take place.

DUKE simply does not place well in the the Pacific Northwest so going to UW will give you better alumni network and connection in the Northwest than DUKE and will be a far better choice if you want to work in Seattle.

Avoid the extra cost when there is limited or no additional benefit.

tl;dr version: DUKE

huskies2015

Postby huskies2015 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm essentially in the exact circumstance as you are with the same COAs, except it is Michigan not Duke that I am considering. At this point I'm leaning towards UW, although I just talked with a 2L at Michigan who said at least 10 Seattle firms were at OCIs and he has a SA in Seattle, so I'm sure you would be fine with either, assuming those firms view Michigan and Duke similarly.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 pm

huskies2015 wrote:I'm essentially in the exact circumstance as you are with the same COAs, except it is Michigan not Duke that I am considering. At this point I'm leaning towards UW, although I just talked with a 2L at Michigan who said at least 10 Seattle firms were at OCIs and he has a SA in Seattle, so I'm sure you would be fine with either, assuming those firms view Michigan and Duke similarly.

As I already said, I think attending a T14 instead of UW might be a decent choice, but the fact that a single student at Michigan got a SA in Seattle does not therefore man that you can be "sure [the OP] would be fine." C'mon. Folks on both sides really need to turn down the certainty in their responses.

huskies2015

Postby huskies2015 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
huskies2015 wrote:I'm essentially in the exact circumstance as you are with the same COAs, except it is Michigan not Duke that I am considering. At this point I'm leaning towards UW, although I just talked with a 2L at Michigan who said at least 10 Seattle firms were at OCIs and he has a SA in Seattle, so I'm sure you would be fine with either, assuming those firms view Michigan and Duke similarly.

As I already said, I think attending a T14 instead of UW might be a decent choice, but the fact that a single student at Michigan got a SA in Seattle does not therefore man that you can be "sure [the OP] would be fine." C'mon. Folks on both sides really need to turn down the certainty in their responses.

I'm just giving anecdotal evidence that it happens. Not trying to sway him one way or the other. If I were in OPs position (which I kind of am), I would like to hear about it. Plus the number of firms that came surprised me. OP can use it as he wishes

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm

huskies2015 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I'm just giving anecdotal evidence that it happens. Not trying to sway him one way or the other. If I were in OPs position (which I kind of am), I would like to hear about it. Plus the number of firms that came surprised me. OP can use it as he wishes

My issue isn't with your anecdote--it's with the broad, categorical conclusion ("I'm sure you would be fine") you drew from it.

Speaking of your anecdote, are you sure there were 10 Seattle offices at Michigan's OCI? Or does the 10 include big law firms that have Seattle offices, but that sent interviewers from offices in other cities (e.g., NYC, SF)? That matters.

huskies2015

Postby huskies2015 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
huskies2015 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

My issue isn't with your anecdote--it's with the broad, categorical conclusion ("I'm sure you would be fine") you drew from it.

Speaking of your anecdote, are you sure there were 10 Seattle offices at Michigan's OCI? Or does the 10 include big law firms that have Seattle offices, but that sent interviewers from offices in other cities (e.g., NYC, SF)? That matters.

Fair enough, that probably was a baseless assumption.

And as i understood it, he meant 10 firms based in Seattle came to hire summer associates for Seattle positions. Again, I was shocked that it was that high.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”