---

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke or Georgetown

Duke (145K)
92%
Georgetown (120K)
8%

Total votes: 37

BigZuck

Re: Duke ($) vs. Georgetown ($$)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:41 pm

justonemoregame wrote:If attending law school, Duke and not even close. Only way I'd choose GTown is if 110% committed to Gov./PI and willing to do multiple internships during 2L/3L since it's easy to get those in DC.

Don't know if it's any good but there's also the Duke in DC program

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:43 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Current GULC student here: Go. To. Duke.

That is to say: if you are committed to going to law school at all, will pursue a Biglaw job in a major market, and are a studious and hard working enough student to give it a real effort, then Duke. Otherwise, 'don't go to law school' is the right answer.

Your debt won't be as bad as many, but you want every edge you can get in hiring. Duke far and away gives that edge.

wut is this law student lecture day

meachum

Postby meachum » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 pm

To clarify, if Duke were not an option, is Georgetown at 120K with family support categorically a bad idea??

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:57 pm

meachum wrote:To clarify, if Duke were not an option, is Georgetown at 120K with family support categorically a bad idea??

I would estimate debt-at-graduation, and personally, I would want it within 120K, but circumstances vary (does SO make money?) I don't think Georgetown is categorically bad around that price, especially if ties to NOVA/DC/MD, Gov. experience/sincere interest. It's hard to get that situation here, though, you almost have to have outside assistance, because COL in DC eats up 1/2 that figure or more.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I think Georgetown at 120k without family support is fine.

BUT you need to be comfortable with the possibility of working in a job that starts at 50k, probably some sort of small firm. Really, you need to be comfortable with that possibility at Duke too. Because its a very real possibility.

What worries me about OP is that it sounds like his interests outside of biglaw are the types of in-house and government work that people can normally only get after working biglaw. A substantial minority of Duke students aren't going to be able to get the kind of jobs OP wants.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”