---

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke or Georgetown

Duke (145K)
92%
Georgetown (120K)
8%

Total votes: 37

meachum

---

Postby meachum » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:29 pm

----
Last edited by meachum on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Re: Duke ($) vs. Georgetown ($$)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:32 pm

How much will you, personally, be in debt at both when all is said and done?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Duke is definitely worth $25k more. Especially with someone with ties to the South.

meachum

Postby meachum » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:How much will you, personally, be in debt at both when all is said and done?

Assume half of the stated amounts. I listed them as full COA figured because this will be a financial burden to my parents as well. I'm no trust fund baby, so they will absolutely be affected by the total cost. They will be contributing around half for either number, not just a flat amount.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:58 pm

meachum wrote:
BigZuck wrote:How much will you, personally, be in debt at both when all is said and done?

Assume half of the stated amounts. I listed them as full COA figured because this will be a financial burden to my parents as well. I'm no trust fund baby, so they will absolutely be affected by the total cost. They will be contributing around half for either number, not just a flat amount.

Definitely Duke. It's a 12k difference, which is really negligible.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Current GULC student here: Go. To. Duke.

That is to say: if you are committed to going to law school at all, will pursue a Biglaw job in a major market, and are a studious and hard working enough student to give it a real effort, then Duke. Otherwise, 'don't go to law school' is the right answer.

Your debt won't be as bad as many, but you want every edge you can get in hiring. Duke far and away gives that edge.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 pm

Is Duke really that much better?

How about compared to Cornell and Northwestern?

Duke placed 60.1, Cornell 68.4, Northwestern 63.3. Isnt this more important than Duke being ranked 8 this year?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Is Duke really that much better?

Duke placed 60.1, Cornell 68.4, Northwestern 63.3. Isnt this more important than Duke being ranked 8 this year?

Who mentioned anything about the ranking being a factor?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm

You listed two comparison schools but you did not list the school that the OP is actually considering instead of Duke. That's weird, dude.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:15 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Current GULC student here: Go. To. Duke.

That is to say: if you are committed to going to law school at all, will pursue a Biglaw job in a major market, and are a studious and hard working enough student to give it a real effort, then Duke. Otherwise, 'don't go to law school' is the right answer.

Your debt won't be as bad as many, but you want every edge you can get in hiring. Duke far and away gives that edge.

I actually don't agree that Duke "far and away" gives an edge over GULC. The schools aren't that different. But Duke has somewhat better employment numbers overall, and the difference is probably worth the extra $25K (or $12.5K or whatever).

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:22 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I actually don't agree that Duke "far and away" gives an edge over GULC. The schools aren't that different. But Duke has somewhat better employment numbers overall, and the difference is probably worth the extra $25K (or $12.5K or whatever).

80 gtown students employed by the university in c/o 2013. That's a red flag to me

for comparison, Duke had 2

I don't think any of the classic self-selection arguments can explain that disparity

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

80 gtown students employed by the university in c/o 2013. That's a red flag to me

I don't think any of the classic self-selection arguments can explain that disparity

Where are you getting those numbers? LST states that 12.9% of GULC grads are in school-funded jobs, while 4.6% of Duke grads are. That's definitely a disparity, but it's not as wide as you're suggesting.

In any case, I agree that all the school-funded jobs should count against GULC. But even if you take all the school-funded stuff out, Duke just appears somewhat (but not "far and away") better than GULC. One's fortunes are unlikely to change dramatically by picking one over the other. But like I said, I would choose Duke were I the OP.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 pm

If BigLaw is a factor in your plans (as a stepping stone to a gov't gig or otherwise), answer has to be Duke.

That's a large price tag for either - though can't in good conscience recommend G'Town when the median Hoya doesn't land BL or clerkship.

ETA: can't spell for sht
Last edited by TheOnePercent on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Postby transferror » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Duke is definitely worth $25k more. Especially with someone with ties to the South.

This is the right answer, especially considering the ties to the South.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:30 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Where are you getting those numbers? LST states that 12.9% of GULC grads are in school-funded jobs, while 4.6% of Duke grads are. That's definitely a disparity, but it's not as wide as you're suggesting.

In any case, I agree that all the school-funded jobs should count against GULC. But even if you take all the school-funded stuff out, Duke just appears somewhat (but not "far and away") better than GULC. One's fortunes are unlikely to change dramatically by picking one over the other. But like I said, I would choose Duke were I the OP.

The 2013 aba reports. I missed the short term school-employed number for duke, which brings their total to 11. My mistake.

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to shame gulc and I blew it

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:

You listed two comparison schools but you did not list the school that the OP is actually considering instead of Duke. That's weird, dude.

Im currently deciding between those schools (still waiting on NU) but wanted to see what you guys thought.

I wanted to see if your rational was D>NCG or DCN>G or D>NC>G.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:52 pm

canadianbrother wrote:I wanted to see if your rational was D>NCG or DCN>G or D>NC>G.

What's your target market (assuming BL or bust)? If aiming NYC, would honestly take Cornell over all (based on placement stats alone). If aiming Chicago, would take NU over all at equal price (though you're probably looking at marginally more $ at N/C than D despite their better placement stats).

Arbitrage those discrepencies in job placement relative to mag rankings.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:34 am

Well for me its any big law, no real strong ties anyway. URM (AA) and a weak IP background (B.S. Biology) still patent eligible. Rather do corporate, but I'd also do IP if it means having a job.

Current offers are Cornell 35/year and GULC 45/year. Trying to get Cornell to match GULC, they havent responded yet, but if they dont, would Cornell still be worth 30k more than GULC? Would the URM + IP boost overcome the placement advantage of Cornell?

meachum

Postby meachum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looks like there is a strong consensus for Duke.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Anyone else see OP's handle and think...

Also, for such a small difference in cost and your family helping out that much: Duke.

meachum

Postby meachum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Ex Cearulo wrote:Anyone else see OP's handle and think...

Also, for such a small difference in cost and your family helping out that much: Duke.

Haha Glad you picked up on that! I created the profile while binge watching season 3 HOC and he's always been among my favorite characters. No clue if the spelling is accurate though.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:21 pm

meachum wrote: Haha Glad you picked up on that! I created the profile while binge watching season 3 HOC and he's always been among my favorite characters. No clue if the spelling is accurate though.

It's Meechum. Strongly recommend you contact a mod and have it changed immediately :lol:

UFlaw99

Postby UFlaw99 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Bro, definitely Duke... it has much better employment numbers than Georgetown which hires like 20% of it graduating class and since your from the South and likely to practice there, DUKE holds more weight in the southeast and would work better which your ties to the south.

Since the difference in the amount is so little it would be stupid to go to Georgetown to save $20k when you are already paying so much money anyways.

PKP319

Postby PKP319 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:44 pm

I think Duke is probably TCR. But, I think that is a good deal for Georgetown (in a scenario where Duke at that price wasn't the alternative). The cost of living difference is so extreme, though, and should be heavily considered.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:16 pm

If attending law school, Duke and not even close. Only way I'd choose GTown is if 110% committed to Gov./PI and willing to do multiple internships during 2L/3L since it's easy to get those in DC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”