Yale vs. Columbia (Hamilton)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dog

Re: Yale vs. Columbia (Hamilton)

Postby Dog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Retake.

But seriously, that commute would be awful, and you'd pay a ton to get to do it.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 pm

yamamoto90 wrote:I'd be making the 4-hour commute to/from New Haven for all 3 years.

This kills Yale as an option. Not even feasible. I drive ~4 hours every other weekend to see my SO and it is draining and awful and it's not nearly as bad as what you are suggesting. I also currently have no school work stress. I can't even imagine the amount of time that would be wasted where you could have done something else.

Now if you are willing to do long distance with your SO for 3 years and get an apartment in New Haven that at least makes it feasible (albeit still not the best choice imo). But keep in mind your primary home will probably be in New Haven and not in NYC with an occasional place to stay in in New Haven.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 pm

Obviously turning down that kind of money and location is hard. Obviously also, CLS has a strong international law program. That said, I have to jump in to note that, as a poster above said, you're shooting for a unicorn job in which Yale actually has a real edge. For mostly illogical reasons that have to do with employers stubbornly seeking out YLS grads and recruiting their own in the international human rights filed, YLS is a clear step above all other top schools with top international law programs. IHR is never a sure bet from either school, but I think you have to realize that by taking Columbia you are actually making it harder for yourself to land that dream job, and so you will need a contingency plan. Still possible, but definitely harder. If I were you, I would probably still take CLS because $$$ + family; shoot for the unicorn by leveraging low-paying internships in the beginning if necessary given your debt-free status; and be ready to jump to an alternative career hopefully about as fulfilling if the unicorn falls through.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:43 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
yamamoto90 wrote:I'd be making the 4-hour commute to/from New Haven for all 3 years.

This kills Yale as an option. Not even feasible. I drive ~4 hours every other weekend to see my SO and it is draining and awful and it's not nearly as bad as what you are suggesting. I also currently have no school work stress. I can't even imagine the amount of time that would be wasted where you could have done something else.

Now if you are willing to do long distance with your SO for 3 years and get an apartment in New Haven that at least makes it feasible (albeit still not the best choice imo). But keep in mind your primary home will probably be in New Haven and not in NYC with an occasional place to stay in in New Haven.

I agree the commute makes Yale seem really unappealing. This seems like a super personal decision given the SO, but I would also think about going not-so-long distance.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:08 am

Isn't George Clooney's wife going to teach at CLS? Get in nice with her and then try to steal her job out from under her.

science burner

Postby science burner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:12 am

Take the Hamilton. This is an easy decision.

You are not going to get to see your future husband at all if you go to Y. You'll either have to live in New Haven during the week and only see him on weekends (possibly every other weekend) or leave incredibly early and get home very late and only really get to spend time with him on the weekend. Is that really what you want?

I obviously don't know your relationship, but this doesn't seem like a great way to start a marriage. I know people in this type of situation and it's very stressful to them.

Is Yale really worth that to you?

Congrats on the scholarship!

AOT

Postby AOT » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 am

So full disclosure I've never visited Yale, so it could be true that the options there are just way more fantastic than I could ever even imagine.

But I have spent the last few days talking to people from NYU and CLS about IHR job outcomes from these schools and they actually seem to be pretty fantastic. NYU in particular sends (relatively) a ton of people to places like Human Rights Watch, human rights fellowships abroad and even to clerkships with the ICJ. I'd imagine that's true for Columbia too. Sure there's the whole what if you're a below median or otherwise unimpressive student argument, but tbh I doubt you would get those positions even from Yale if that's really the case.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:20 pm

One possibility, if you really want Yale, is spending 1L year in New Haven, then commuting 2L and 3L when you've established relationships and people's schedules are less lockstep anyway (or at least revisiting after 1L).

Which is not saying you should take Yale over Columbia, just throwing out something I hadn't seen mentioned.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 pm

No debt with a prestigious scholarship from a prestigious school located in a great city & living with your law school debt saddled spouse versus not seeing your significant other for the first three years of your marriage. As this time, the answer seems clear, but likely will become more difficult after you receive Yale's financial aid offer.

The play here is to talk to the Yale financial aid office about your situation.

P.S. Unfortunately, the only certainty is that you're going to create a life-long regret regardless of your decision.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 pm

On top of everything else mentioned ITT, you probably won't be eligible for Yale's repayment program if you're married by the end of law school and your husband is working.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:No debt with a prestigious scholarship from a prestigious school located in a great city & living with your law school debt saddled spouse versus not seeing your significant other for the first three years of your marriage. As this time, the answer seems clear, but likely will become more difficult after you receive Yale's financial aid offer.

The play here is to talk to the Yale financial aid office about your situation.

P.S. Unfortunately, the only certainty is that you're going to create a life-long regret regardless of your decision.

This is bad advice and a really bad postscript. Take the money and don't look back once.

eph

Postby eph » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Yale.

It was not my experience that the fin aid office there is unfeeling. If you need help they provide it. If you can afford it you pay. Funny how that works. Hard the think of a much better investment for a future lawyer than a Yale JD. If it is your combined income that is the issue put off getting married, it is 2015 after all.

That commute is impossible repeat impossible. I think nony's idea of the first year in New Haven makes a lot of sense.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”