Stanford vs Berkeley vs NYU/Duke/UT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hannahp38

Stanford vs Berkeley vs NYU/Duke/UT

Postby hannahp38 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Numbers based on the one year COA according to each school's website, & then subtracted scholarship money I've been offered (details in parenthesis). I haven't tried to negotiate any scholarships yet. These are all merit based, despite that my parents aren't paying anything for law school I'm still not qualifying for need based bc of their money.

UT Austin: $28,698 (25k per year + in-state tuition)
Duke: $47,750 (30k per year)
NYU: $62,892 (20.8k per year)
Columbia: $85,755 (no scholarship info received yet)
Berkeley: $75,857 (no scholarship info received yet)
Stanford: $84,012 (not yet accepted - so I realize this might not happen haha, if I manage to get in prob no $)

I want to work in California in the future. 173 LSAT (retake from 159- yes, I really wish I had canceled that one lol), 3.92 GPA. My interests are in entrepreneurship/small business law.

My question is - any reason to consider UT or Duke based on money or NYU/Columbia for any reason if my long term goal is California? And if I get offered $ at Berkeley and accepted at Stanford, is it worth it to choose Stanford over Berkeley for the ranking? Any opinions appreciated!!

gnomgnomuch

Re: Stanford vs Berkeley vs NYU/Duke/UT

Postby gnomgnomuch » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:51 pm

At this point I'd go for Berk - solely because you want cali - if you use their scholarship match, you might get a decent-ish offer.

Can't justify 150k for Duke, though 190ish at NYU isn't completely unreasonable.
Columbia isn't worth it for 255k when you've got NYU for 60k cheaper.
UT shouldn't really be an option at this point, because you've got better options in the t14 and Texas --> Cali isn't ideal.

If you can get Duke/NYU to get down to 100/140k it would be more reasonable.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:34 pm

I'd think you'd have to take Berkeley. I would definitely try to negotiate for some scholly at Berkeley to reduce costs. Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply to UCLA since you want CA?

At those price tags, NYU, Duke, and Columbia just don't make sense unless you're gunning for biglaw. And even then, it's tough for me to call those good options. The cost would make UT attractive if you weren't set on Cali, but it's just so unlikely from there that I think you'd be better off paying more at Berkeley.

Anyway, congrats on your LSAT raise and good luck getting a good offer from Berkeley!

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Boalt is a no-brainer for California, but not recommended at sticker. With your numbers, Duke needs to up its anty. UT doesn't carry much beyond the state line.

Yeah, I'd pay sticker for SLS.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:58 pm

I think something went horribly wrong with your cycle of those are your money offers with a 173/3.9

What happened at Cornell, Northwestern, Harvard, etc?

I don't think any of those offers are justifiable with your numbers. Definitely drop UT though, makes no sense with your goals.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:59 pm

What is the total debt at repayment for each of those schools (expected tuition increases - normally of about 2.5k per year, interest that accrues while you're still in school, and loan origination fees -- hint: this might be a lot more than simply multiplying your cost per year times 3).

And what kind of work do you want to do in California?

hannahp38

Postby hannahp38 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:01 pm

ILoveYou wrote:I'd think you'd have to take Berkeley. I would definitely try to negotiate for some scholly at Berkeley to reduce costs. Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply to UCLA since you want CA?

I did apply to UCLA and USC as well. At this point USC's scholarship offer was a little insulting and I haven't heard from UCLA. Considering Berkeley is ranked higher and I think I'd rather live in the Bay Area in the future, UCLA would have to offer substantially more than Berkeley for me to consider it.

BigZuck wrote:I think something went horribly wrong with your cycle of those are your money offers with a 173/3.9

What happened at Cornell, Northwestern, Harvard, etc?

Honestly I think it must be my original 159 that's killing me. Can't tell you how badly I wish I'd cancelled that score. My softs aren't bad so I really think it has to be that?? Unfortunately I didn't apply to Cornell or Northwestern, and Harvard rejected me.

Nomo wrote:What is the total debt at repayment for each of those schools (expected tuition increases - normally of about 2.5k per year, interest that accrues while you're still in school, and loan origination fees -- hint: this might be a lot more than simply multiplying your cost per year times 3).

And what kind of work do you want to do in California?

That's a good point, I should calculate all that instead of just the COA off the websites. Will do tonight. I want to do business law but focus on entrepreneurs/small businesses. Been running my own small business for almost two years and from my experiences I feel like small business owners are the types of people I want to work with in the long run.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:59 am

You got dinged at H already? Something might be wrong with your app with those numbers, also wait until you get final scholarship offers and decisions to make this thread

Return to “Choosing a Law School”