Stanford versus Duke (with Mordecai $$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Stanford vs. Duke (Mordecai)

Stanford
26%
Duke with Mordecai Scholarship (full tuition)
74%

Total votes: 46

so.it.goes

Stanford versus Duke (with Mordecai $$$)

Postby so.it.goes » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi there TLS -

Trying to resolve a dilemma for "a friend" ;)

The basics:
-no undergrad debt
-no real preference of after-graduation market (other than NYC-avoidance, maybe?)
-generally interested in environmental law/land & resource use/property/development
-not opposed to biglaw but would like to keep options open
-as laid back as a Type-A person can be
-visited both places, loved them both

Obviously feel super #blessed to have these options, but would love any input/advice from a source that is not my cat.

Thanks in advance.

leslieknope

Re: Stanford versus Duke (with Mordecai $$$)

Postby leslieknope » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:50 pm

I would take Duke in your situation, tbh, and I'm not necessarily opposed to sticker debt at HYS. Since you don't really have well defined career goals that Stanford specifically could help you get, sticker debt at Stanford is probably going to be way more limiting to you than any loss of opportunities from going to Duke. It's an awesome school, congrats.

jemthey17

Postby jemthey17 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Have you received aid information for SLS?

so.it.goes

Postby so.it.goes » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:58 pm

thanks for the responses so far!

no, not yet - allegedly should be receiving SLS aid info very soon though.

so.it.goes

Postby so.it.goes » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 am

I guess one question could be -

What amount of aid $ would make Stanford a good bargain? (like...I would be stupid not to jump on it. Or am I being stupid not to jump on the Mordecai? Haha. I obviously need help here.)

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 am

If you get full need aid maybe Stanford but Duke is probably the better choice

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 am

I think you should figure out what you want to do before you go to law school tbh.

so.it.goes

Postby so.it.goes » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 am

To clarify, I guess...I expect to go biglaw after graduation. I just don't want to completely exclude the possibility of doing government work or something less lucrative. I have some experience in both the public and private sectors, so I could see myself deciding either way.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:04 am

so.it.goes wrote:To clarify, I guess...I expect to go biglaw after graduation. I just don't want to completely exclude the possibility of doing government work or something less lucrative. I have some experience in both the public and private sectors, so I could see myself deciding either way.

Then Duke no question.

(Plus you should still try to think more about what you want to do)

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:37 am

Congrats on your excellent cycle; enjoy Duke!

name of user

Postby name of user » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Congrats on your excellent cycle; enjoy Duke!

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Stanford is a defensible decision here.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:39 am

If you truly want to do environmental law work, Stanford is far and away an easy choice. Additionally, one can do a JD/MS in Environmental Resources (the exact name escapes me) without adding an additional year (still finish in 3, no summer classes still).

It doesn't sound that way though for you. I'd have a much clearer picture of why I was going to law school if I was in your position before making this kind of decision (which I did). If you're not certain about what to do, and you don't have a clear goal in mind, taking the money and eliminating the risk of being stuck in BigLaw seems to make a lot more sense.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:49 am

Instinctive wrote:If you truly want to do environmental law work, Stanford is far and away an easy choice. Additionally, one can do a JD/MS in Environmental Resources (the exact name escapes me) without adding an additional year (still finish in 3, no summer classes still).

It doesn't sound that way though for you. I'd have a much clearer picture of why I was going to law school if I was in your position before making this kind of decision (which I did). If you're not certain about what to do, and you don't have a clear goal in mind, taking the money and eliminating the risk of being stuck in BigLaw seems to make a lot more sense.

I basically agree with this. If the OP had a very specific environmental law/environmental policy goal in mind, then I think SLS would make sense (though I wouldn't go so far to say that it's "far and away an easy choice"). But with only a vague environmental law interest and an expectation of big law, then Duke with a Mordecai is the way to go.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 am

rpupkin wrote:
Instinctive wrote:If you truly want to do environmental law work, Stanford is far and away an easy choice. Additionally, one can do a JD/MS in Environmental Resources (the exact name escapes me) without adding an additional year (still finish in 3, no summer classes still).

I basically agree with this. If the OP had a very specific environmental law/environmental policy goal in mind, then I think SLS would make sense (though I wouldn't go so far to say that it's "far and away an easy choice"). But with only a vague environmental law interest and an expectation of big law, then Duke with a Mordecai is the way to go.

I would "basically agree" if the OP had WE with environmental issues or substantial UG coursework but genuine interest doesn't cut it.

so.it.goes

Postby so.it.goes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks everyone!

As far as my academic background goes, my undergraduate majors were environmental studies, political science, and urban planning. I have work experience with community development non-profits, city government, environmental education, and oil and gas.

Long-term goals: Work on environmental compliance issues; real estate development; energy law. Basically environmentally and economically responsible land use (whether on the policy end or the business end).

Also now looking at ~$40,000 in fellowship aid from Stanford, supplemented by loans.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 am

Stanford

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 am

Cost of living is super cheap in Durham and super expensive in the Bay Area. I'd go Duke for sure. 200k is a huge deal when you're starting out your career. With compounding interest, it's retirement 5 years early.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”