Ohio State ($$) vs. Case Western ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tiddlywinks

New

Ohio State ($$) vs. Case Western ($$$)

Post by Tiddlywinks » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Hello all,
Well my decision has come down to Ohio State and Case Western. I've lived my whole life in Ohio and would prefer to practice here. I would be content doing PD/DA work, although if the opportunity for biglaw/corporate work presented itself I would take it. I realize going in and learning upon which area of law will ultimately get my interest isn't something I can 100% predict. So,
COA: Ohio State - 107k
Case Western - 54k (this has me living near campus for 1L and then commuting 50 minutes to school my 2/3L from my parents)
LSAT/GPA - 160 - 3.82 - Took LSAT once - Before you ask, I'm retaking in June. I learned of this site about 4 months ago and have read/creeped through countless threads. I realize with my GPA it'd be a waste to settle with such a low LSAT score so I'm not gonna be one of those "special" people who say they can't/won't retake. I'm 24 and 2 years removed from undergrad so I'd like to attend this year, but not at the cost of squandering an opportunity you have one chance to get right. First time I studied I solely used the Princeton review book and 20 old practice tests (40 and lower). I have learned of drilling Cambridge packets and Manhattan guides etc. so I believe I should be able to increase at least something.
My main thing is... how bad are both of these options with me wanting to stay in Ohio? I've seen LST, both options are very mediocre in that respect (both slightly below 60%, meaning 1/3 the class has crap/no jobs). However, Case has essential slashed their class in half and Ohio State has lowered theirs by 50~ students. This leads me to believe that there may be better job prospects/numbers with the lower level of graduates then the current LST scores indicated. Again, I'm looking to work in the Columbus/Cleveland area and not Cincy (takes Cincy law outta the equation). I'm thinking of depositing at tOSU and seeing if I can get more money from my retake, and if I score high enough dropping out and blanketing the T14 next cycle. Thanks a lot guys and feel free to be brutally honest.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Ohio State ($$) vs. Case Western ($$$)

Post by Mullens » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:14 pm

That's way too expensive for Ohio State. You should withdraw now and remove the temptation to attend this year if your score only marginally improves on your first retake. Retake in June and then again in October if you need to to maximize your potential. You know what you need to do, time to pull the trigger and commit to it.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 pm

I don't understand how retaking in June for THIS cycle has become a thing. With a 3.8, you should be retaking in june and applying NEXT cycle.

Princeton review is utter shit. If you got a 160 with that, you should cruise to a high 160s or low-170s score with the good prep stuff.

Don't blow a few hundred bucks on a seat deposit. Kill your retake and enjoy picking a t14 with $$ next cycle.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Definitely withdraw and wait until next year. If you want Ohio, OSU is a much better option, and an increase of 4 or 5 points on the LSAT may mean a full ride there. I sat out two different cycles, and it saved me well over $150k in debt in the end. Plus, you'll be able to save up a little more cash for when you attend. Also, be wary if there are any stips on those scholarships other than "good standing."

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Just wanna chime in to give you props for being level-headed about this and willing to retake to achieve your goals (which I suggest doing--don't waste that GPA on that LSAT.) As far as how smaller class sizes will impact the job stats for those schools, I wouldn't count on it being a huge boon. I wouldn't bother depositing for either of those offers, either. Just keep at it, get that LSAT up, and enjoy a more comfortable cycle next year.

Best of luck!

Tiddlywinks

New

Post by Tiddlywinks » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:10 pm

I've seen a bunch of people talking about getting off WL with $$ and upping their schollys with June retakes for that cycle so I assume that's why, since it means you can still go that year. But yeah, there's no stips other then good standing but seems like it's irrelevant lol. Problem I see with it all is that regional schools seem like they're hard to make sense.. Ohio State seems pretty stingy on scholly money, I feel like (not certain) the only full rides they give out are the Moritz Scholarships which are given to 3-5 students. I've seen tons of people with with 162ish LSATs get full rides to IUB/UIUC while Ohio State not so much. Getting a 165 makes it so that the TCR would be retake again for 3-4 points more for T14 with $$. being from Ohio, I love the school but it's just hard to make sense of it all, even with it being the best school in the state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”