northwestern vs. michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mike241

northwestern vs. michigan

Postby mike241 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Last edited by mike241 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zugzwanger

Re: northwestern vs. michigan

Postby zugzwanger » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:21 pm

NU > Michigan for sure if you decide on T14.

"sizable, but significantly less than full scholarship" is too vague to give advice on. You're going to get a lot of people tell you to give more info and/or retake for scholarship from T14...but the only thing I can say for sure is NU > Michigan if you go T14.

PM me if you have specific questions I'm at NU.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:24 pm

What kind of government/public interest work? Generally, those jobs don't pay a ton so servicing sticker debt is going to be difficult. Even with options such as IBR/PAYE and PSLF, having that debt hanging over your head and continuing to grow isn't something that can easily be dismissed. Not to mention the fact that PSLF may not be around later down the road.

If by gov't/PI you mean generic public defender/district attorney type gigs, then I personally would seriously consider a discounted regional school.

iVi

Postby iVi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:26 pm

zugzwanger wrote:NU > Michigan for sure if you decide on T14.

"sizable, but significantly less than full scholarship" is too vague to give advice on. You're going to get a lot of people tell you to give more info and/or retake for scholarship from T14...but the only thing I can say for sure is NU > Michigan if you go T14.

Mind sharing your reasons?

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:31 pm

zugzwanger wrote:NU > Michigan for sure if you decide on T14.

Isn't NU's PI/Gov placement not great? If OP is really interested in PI then Michigan+LRAP does not seem like a bad deal.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:37 pm

we don't have enough information to give you good advice. but my gut tells me it's going to be "none of the above." (because sticker at either is pretty much indefensible, especially if you're opposed to > half of the jobs available from either; I'm also guessing this "T30" is a pretty random school and it sounds like the COA is going to be six figures, which, again, sounds like a pretty bad idea)

but fill this out.

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Gotta answer Zomb Mac's questions

Guessing the correct answer is "Neither, retake." Or "Neither, go to a strong regional in the place where you want to practice for cheap." A T14 degree is overkill for a lot of gov/PI type work, better to go to the local school for cheap.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”