Columbia (sticker) vs UCLA ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia (sticker) vs UCLA ($$$)

Columbia (sticker)
18%
UCLA ($$$)
75%
Other
7%

Total votes: 44

skers

Platinum

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs UCLA ($$$)

Post by skers » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Well, sure. Median at CLS is a lot better than salvageable: it's a set of great offers and summering at a V20, assuming you're an okay interviewer. Bottom third is better described as "salvageable."
I'm sure this is true of people you know, but this is overstating things. How many of the offers for median CLS students are from Willkie and SRZ alone? Cahill? I mean, yeah you have some massive summer classes in the V20 who take students down to median, but again, "set of great offers and summering at a V20" isn't the modal outcome for a median student at CLS.

Would agree that median is more than "salvageable" though.
Working for the best hedge fund centered law firm in the world seems like a pretty good outcome smaug.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Well, sure. Median at CLS is a lot better than salvageable: it's a set of great offers and summering at a V20, assuming you're an okay interviewer. Bottom third is better described as "salvageable."
I'm sure this is true of people you know, but this is overstating things. How many of the offers for median CLS students are from Willkie and SRZ alone? Cahill? I mean, yeah you have some massive summer classes in the V20 who take students down to median, but again, "set of great offers and summering at a V20" isn't the modal outcome for a median student at CLS.

I'm honestly not sure how to interpret this since it feels like a personal indictment. So you probably know who I am.

I feel like "median" is such a wide range. There are median kids at Skadden. And some at Willkie too (which, for the record, is a good firm). The point is, as we agree, I could count on my fingers the number of NY firms that would give a median student a really hard time for their grades.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:13 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Jason Taverner wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I'm honestly not sure how to interpret this since it feels like a personal indictment. So you probably know who I am.

I feel like "median" is such a wide range. There are median kids at Skadden. And some at Willkie too (which, for the record, is a good firm). The point is, as we agree, I could count on my fingers the number of NY firms that would give a median student a really hard time for their grades.
I agree with this for the most part, I just think that, even if you're not shut out of too many firms with median grades, you also aren't very likely to get tons of V20 firms from median. There are some you have a solid shot at, but the idea that any normal person will waltz in and get scads of offers/sleep their way to a V20 isn't true.

I also didn't mean to be slamming any of those firms—they're just firms that give a lot of offers, and are thus more likely to be modal outcomes. They also aren't V20 firms, so I'm not sure why that was the line.

Also, not intended as an attack on you or anything. I just figure you might be drawing on your personal experiences when you say things like you did originally.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am

Jason Taverner wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Jason Taverner wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I agree with this for the most part, I just think that, even if you're not shut out of too many firms with median grades, you also aren't very likely to get tons of V20 firms from median. There are some you have a solid shot at, but the idea that any normal person will waltz in and get scads of offers/sleep their way to a V20 isn't true.

I also didn't mean to be slamming any of those firms—they're just firms that give a lot of offers, and are thus more likely to be modal outcomes. They also aren't V20 firms, so I'm not sure why that was the line.

Also, not intended as an attack on you or anything. I just figure you might be drawing on your personal experiences when you say things like you did originally.
okay you're right, I phrased my original statement poorly. Not a lot of offers at V20s. just 2+ offers overall is not unlikely, neither is winding up at a V20 (although the vault rankings don't really mean much anyway)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”