TLS, it's time to have a talk.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
idissent

Re: TLS, it's time to have a talk.

Postby idissent » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Big Red wrote:
idissent wrote:Anyone in local politics will tell you that going off and integrating yourself into the DC establishment is probably one of the worst possible options when trying to enter politics, but Brian is beyond reason and super entertaining so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

there's a pretty long list of former staffers who run for the House and win? Not challenging, just curious what you mean by this. Do people really get hit that hard for being "DC INSIDERS" in state elections?

OP talked about running for state senate and starting local, and in local elections I've witnessed/worked with, it's a detriment to spend a significant amount of time living in DC when you could be at the top state school ~living amongst the people~. I'm sure there are plenty of staffers who start out in their home state, go to DC to work for someone from their state or a committee of their party, and return home to run, but they largely worked for their state/party the whole time. I'm definitely for your advice of becoming a staffer as a way to get into politics, but going to GW without the guise of working for a republican while there just gives your primary opponent ammo.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Interesting, wanted to make sure my (ignored) advice wasn't bad advice

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:32 pm

You TLSers are only concerned about the financial gain. You are not thinking about the life fulfillment gain of doing meaningful work, and the spiritual gain from following your calling.

No doubt many are, but you missing the big picture. Prestige gets priority in legal interviews. Prestige gets priority in govt interviews.

In any work, fulfilling to you or not, a resume from HLS almost always gets an interview over those from much lower ranked schools (all other things being equal). Heck, even the local owner of a solo JD practice would love, love to have someone with a HLS certificate on the wall if he was going to expand to a two-man shop, particularly if you only want to work 40 hours and don't care about making bank. Next up would be instate Uni.

dm1919

Postby dm1919 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Why would anyone in their right mind want to go into elected politics? What's the draw of elected politics?

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:38 pm

dm1919 wrote:Why would anyone in their right mind want to go into elected politics? What's the draw of elected politics?

Have you not read this thread?

idissent

Postby idissent » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Twenty-somethings who want to be career politicians baffle me. Aren't you supposed to be disillusioned?

dm1919

Postby dm1919 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Big Red wrote:
dm1919 wrote:Why would anyone in their right mind want to go into elected politics? What's the draw of elected politics?

Skimmed it. My takeaway is that some GW Law 0L wants to go to GW Law to get into elected politics in some backwater/important state/U.S. House of Representatives/U.S. Senate.

I asked "why would anyone in their right mind want to go into elected politics?"

Was my question answered somewhere in this thread?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:44 pm

dm1919 wrote:
Big Red wrote:

Skimmed it. My takeaway is that some GW Law 0L wants to go to GW Law to get into elected politics in some backwater/important state/U.S. House of Representatives/U.S. Senate.

I asked "why would anyone in their right mind want to go into elected politics?"

Do you think this is actually a real life person in their right mind?

dm1919

Postby dm1919 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:
dm1919 wrote:
Big Red wrote:

Do you think this is actually a real life person in their right mind?

Maybe this person is real, maybe this person isn't real. I would agree that this person/troll certainly isn't in their right mind. Nevertheless, there are so many current T14 law students who want to go to law school in order to get into elected politics. So this person/troll isn't unique in their drive to be an elected politician. I'm asking why so many law students want to get into elected politics.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Narcissism or nativety. Only two options.

dm1919

Postby dm1919 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:06 pm

hdunlop wrote:Narcissism or nativety. Only two options.

Exactly. These people who want to become politicians are NUTS. They're motivated to get power that they'll never have. They're deluded by shows like the West Wing (Washington can do so much for America) and House of Cards (I'm even smarter than Frank Underwood) that they can be someone really powerful and influential in Washington. Being elected in local/state politics means nothing, unless you're the governor, although most governors aren't important, although some are powerful in solidly Republican leaning or Democratic leaning states (Governor of California, New York, Kansas, for example). Being elected to Congress is meaningless too, unless you're in leadership, but that's pretty much meaningless too (cf. Politico). Even being President of the United States is pretty much meaningless too (cf. Politico, New York Times). He can't even get his Attorney General nominee, an eminently qualified individual, confirmed by the Senate.

Go become an investment banker instead and make some money.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 pm

havent read most of the thread because it doesnt warrant it, but people who want to be lawyers have no room to make fun of anyones career choice. you are unoriginal boring fucks who are doing this for money and power too. let the man go into politics if he want.s

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:People who want to be lawyers have no room to make fun of anyone's career choice. You are unoriginal boring fucks who are doing this for money and power too.

Money sure, but I really don't think too many people get into this field for power.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The King

Postby The King » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Last edited by The King on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:03 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
brianiac wrote:Haha, no I am not going to go off and be a 'community organizer'. I think we've all seen how that works out.

Ends in being President?

Edit to quote you lol

brianiac wrote: It is not a crazy idea to go to law school community organizing to go into politics. Many have done it. News flash: Obama has done it.

You got whooshed bro

You see, Obama was a community organizer and he became president. But the OP is a Republican and therefore hates Obama reflexively. He doesn't want to be a community organizer "Cuz we all know how that turns out!"

Whomp
Whomp
Whooooooomp

BNA

Postby BNA » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:43 am

I may be wrong, and definitely am not looking to contribute to the OP bashing, but I think the logic in your path to politics is backwards. IMO, future politicians don't make progress by involving themselves in low level, government work or opening their own practice. More likely, they integrate with powerful, successful and influential people who will one day support (and most importantly fund) their goals. Major clerkships and biglaw seem like the most reasonable paths to office, no?

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:42 am

brianiac wrote:Irregardless of a possible transfer, G/G are largely peers and I would feel honored to graduate from either institution.

I don't know what's worse: thinking irregardless is a word, or thinking a 160 is a good lsat.

(or using G/G)

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:29 am

SFrost wrote:
brianiac wrote:Irregardless of a possible transfer, G/G are largely peers and I would feel honored to graduate from either institution.

I don't know what's worse: thinking irregardless is a word, or thinking a 160 is a good lsat.

(or using G/G)

Irregardless is a word.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathon- ... 34749.html

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:15 am

G/G 4 lyfe.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:That still leaves the question of why you asked that specific professor for a LOR.

Because she is the chair of my department.

[/quote]

OP, your answer to this question exemplifies the incredible lack of knowledge and research with regards to your "plans". Anyone who has spent the time to actually read Dean's interviews and admissions personnel interviews -- let alone TLS, but you obviously don't view this forum as a reliable source -- will know that the most-critical aspect of your letter is that it speaks highly of you.

I took a degree in Gender Studies, and honestly, your initial post about "riling her up" comes across as beyond childish, chauvinistic, and rude; it doesn't suggest any level of respect for that professor.

You may be right to suspect that a letter from a department head will carry a bit more weight -- in the sense that if the DEPARTMENT head says you were narrow-minded and inconsiderate in class, it probably WILL get listened to.

Quit while you're only a few miles behind. It's clear that you don't realize it yet [who knows how not?] but with each additional post, you are further discrediting yourself, and coming across as more and more ignorant -- not to mention argumentative without any clear basis for your argumentation having been made apparent.

Therefore, any further commentary on your part will be interpreted as 100% grade A trolling -- which I'm sure we'll all enjoy; just...know where you stand, bub. We stopped taking you seriously like six pages ago.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:11 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
brianiac wrote:
fratstar1 wrote:I really can't take a year off. It's just not in the cards for me. And I'm not interested in retaking, there is too much for me to do. I have my senior thesis and my pre law school prep, plus planning for a summer vacation. But thank you for your advice anyways. As for transferring, I know it is not a sure thing and I go into this with open eyes, but I am also confident in my abilities. Irregardless of a possible transfer, G/G are largely peers and I would feel honored to graduate from either institution.

This thread is based on a false premise. If you're not a troll, you are one of the densest, most obstinate, least self-aware posters I have ever seen. And the quoted paragraph is comedy gold. You have little hope.

Yea this was what jumped the shark for me too. I was hoping OP was for real :(

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:13 pm

I enjoy reading the REAMS of bandwidth spent trying to convince the OP that his plan is a bad one

This dude is good.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:17 pm

anyone know which law school OP works for?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm

brianiac wrote:
ek5dn wrote:and brianiac..paying sticker for Michigan isn't a very wise financial decision (I don't remember who you called out for doing this), but paying sticker for George Washington is wayyy more egregious..

You TLSers are only concerned about the financial gain. You are not thinking about the life fulfillment gain of doing meaningful work, and the spiritual gain from following your calling.

Indy16 wrote:Also if you plan on just returning to your home state and building connections I don't understand why the "name brand" of a DC school has any real value to you. From what I've seen, it seems like many/most politicos go the state school route especially in state politics, which is where you'd be looking.

If you don't want to take the sincere advice in this thread (ignore the sarcasm and whatnot), then best of luck.

Yes but I see this as a long term play. GW may not matter in a local election. But I'm not just thinking about local elections forever... :wink:

When approaching flaw, assumption and strengthen/weaken questions on the LSAT, I always recommend and recommend that tutors teach students to break down arguments into a simple math-type equation:

Supporting Fact/Reasoning + _______ = Conclusion

OP's evidence is TLS posters only focus on job placement and the odds of repaying their debt. OP's conclusion is that this is mistaken because it discounts the importance of following one's soul.

The flaw in the reasoning is the assumption that being employed and soul fulfillment are mutually exclusive goals when in reality there may be a causal connection.

It is difficult to focus on spiritual growth and self-actualization when one is being harassed by creditors and doesn't know if they'll eat dinner. See e.g. Maslow's universally accepted pyramid of human needs and spiritual growth (basically "soul fulfillment" cannot take place until basic needs are satisfied).

For instance, someone who earns a high salary is likelier in a better position to do good than they would be if they were poor. It doesn't mean they're a better person for not being poor, just that it is easier to focus on charitable causes.

As for the political aspirations, tell your district's voters, the majority of whom have families to worry about, that they shouldn't worry about employment and economic growth but to instead focus on finding themselves and spiritual growth. See how that works out for you in the polls. Look throughout all of recorded history, and examine each period of social growth and social collapse. Then ask yourself whether the economy was good or bad in the decade preceding each period of growth/collapse.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”