TLS, it's time to have a talk. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
brianiac

New

Re: TLS, it's time to have a talk.

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:19 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:This, you were rejected from GULC, so what makes you think you'd have more luck anywhere else?
I'm getting tired of this question. Ignored
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Lol, so your plan is to pay off sticker debt while doing DUI defense and funding a state senate run? Ok.
I'm not going to do DUI defense. I don't know where you got that idea. I intend to work with businesses and strengthen my ties with that community. Stop inventing things.
flawschoolkid wrote:You'll get along with all the other vapant idiots at George WashingTTTon
Ignored
Jim Jones wrote:i hope youre running for republican because its way easier to get elected as a republican because they might actually think your retarded plan is inspiring.
It is not a crazy idea to go to law school to go into politics. Many have done it. News flash: Obama has done it.
tacocat wrote:It's amazing how consistent his schtick is - "I'm going to GWU because politics. Fuck you and your T14" - and the rage that ensues. The force is strong with Brainiac.
I didn't say fuck the T14. I said stop being T14 or bust. There is a difference.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Jim Jones wrote:can i be your chief of staff
nah pick me

tacocat

New

Post by tacocat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:20 pm

brianiac wrote: I only applied to one T14 school, and I was rejected in part because...I suspect I have a lackluster letter of recommendation from the chair of my department because she's extremely liberal and dislikes hearing opinions that aren't her own (I'm taking a course with her now on women's rights and you should see her get wound up).
Sounds like poor judgement...asking the liberal women's rights teacher you told to get back in the kitchen to write you a LOR.

lurkerlarry

New

Post by lurkerlarry » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:21 pm

‘Special snowflake’ syndrome, is a disease in which the subject believes that because they occupy a subculture mildly different to the mainstream, they are inherently better, and above them. The subject will never state that they are better, but it is implied, as is the belief that they are rare in their qualities, despite, in reality, being an only slightly less common cliche.

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:21 pm

brianiac wrote:
middlebear wrote:I'm sorry, you clearly have either not read any of the Choosing threads or have absolutely no RC skills. Most of this forum is NOT T-14 or bust, most of this forum is incredibly debt-averse and often encourages regional schools w/$$$. You're just pissed TLS has called shenanigans on your life choices.
I already address this. I don't deny there are exceptions to the rule. But the vast majority of posts are T14 or bust. It appears that it is YOU who has absolutely no RC skills.
jchiles wrote:I feel like I've seen this plan before on TLS and heard it IRL. OP, do you know anyone in Congress that followed this path? I guess it sounds logical but I know I've never heard of it actually going this way for someone.
Many, many, many people in Congress went to law school. This is basic stuff people. Go on Wikipedia and look up some biographies.
Jim Jones wrote:Which T14s could you have gotten into
I already explained this and feel no need to repeat myself.
TheUnicornHunter wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=242874

If your theory is right, this thread makes no sense. Chill Mormon Bro comes on TLS asking for advice between UVA for free and BYU for free. Nobody's willing to give it to him, because even though UVA has objectively better placement, almost everyone recognizes that his life circumstances might make BYU make sense. Only when people realize that he wants TLS to tell him to go to UVA does TLS really oblige.

TLS gives tailored advice all the time. In your case, the tailored advice is that you have a terrible plan.
I didn't read the thread, but are you telling me that your proof that TLS isn't T14 or bust is a thread in which TLS tells a poster to attend UVA over BYU? That is sad and proves my point.
Now we know why you didn't do too hot on your LSAT > There might be no correlation between Law School and Congress... In fact, 55% of Congressmen are NOT lawyers...

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0220181951

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Ironically, when you cut through all the bullshit, OP's not actually that wrong.
The "T14 or bust" mentality is carelessly perpetuated, even though many of us have no interest in biglaw.
People who are looking to work in a public defender's or prosecutor's office should attend the school most regional to them.
But any semi-reasonably inferences are quickly drowned out by these gems:
For example, I am going into politics and will attend a school with excellent placement in that realm. Those who want to work in the private sector but don't want to sell their soul and do 110+ hour (on average) weeks in the office can find non-biglaw jobs in any of the Tier 1, and in most of the Tier 2.

So I don't even know.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:25 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:Anybody who says Johann is a good poster needs to have their head examined. He almost singlehandedly makes TLS unreadable
Johann is a good poster because he is one of the few who actually gives a fair and balanced approach. 90% of posters on TLS cannot get over their biases.
umichman wrote:You seem butthurt that you did not get into a t14 with $$$. but don't trick other people into making bad financial decisions
Says the guy who paid sticker at Michigan. You and I should be on the same team.
Jason Taverner wrote:Please describe your network at home. How did you make those connections?

What advice do you have for aspiring politicians?
Volunteering on campaigns, interning in the offices of local pols, working phone banks, canvassing, etc.

My advice would be to follow your passion. God has something planned for all of us. It is our job to listen to Him, and not blindly pursue prestige and money.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Tuition at HLS was about 12,000/year when Obama went. Different ballgame.

And yea, I bet local business owners are going to be tripping over themselves to pay for your legal services when you set up a solo shop after three years at GW.

buntort

New

Post by buntort » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 pm

brianiac wrote:A wise man once said: "We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone."
Did you seriously fucking quote Ronald Reagan?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lurkerlarry

New

Post by lurkerlarry » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 pm

this thread is amaze
Last edited by lurkerlarry on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:28 pm

twenty wrote:Ironically, when you cut through all the bullshit, OP's not actually that wrong.
The "T14 or bust" mentality is carelessly perpetuated, even though many of us have no interest in biglaw.
People who are looking to work in a public defender's or prosecutor's office should attend the school most regional to them.
But that's TLS common wisdom anyway, with the huge caveat that you shouldn't pay sticker for a chance at a job that pays 60k a year. I've never seen a TLS poster get told to go to some random T14 instead of a strong regional with $$ if they say they want to work as a PD/ADA.

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:28 pm

I don't understand the point of this thread - you know how people feel about this. Politics is a really unlikely outcome and setting up shop in your home state will force you to take cases (like dui cases) that you might otherwise feel are below you because thats the only way to make ends meet when you start up.

What your doing doesn't make that much sense so people aren't going to have much sympathy and your not providing a very good justification about why your right and all these highly educated (and experienced) people are wrong.

I understand you feel differently but please leave us alone. Everyone told you how they feel take it - or don't, but don't get on here throwing around generalizations about how people on these forums dole out advice for the sake of people like you who need it.

None of this helps. It doesn't make people feel good because your trashing the collective wisdom of law students and practicing attorneys who take time out of their busy schedules to provide free advice, and it doesn't make you feel good because nobodies going to change their mind without you providing substantive reasons explaining how your path makes any sense.
Last edited by fratstar1 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:28 pm

which state are you in, i need to know if i want to join your staff

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:29 pm

brianiac wrote:
jchiles wrote:I feel like I've seen this plan before on TLS and heard it IRL. OP, do you know anyone in Congress that followed this path? I guess it sounds logical but I know I've never heard of it actually going this way for someone.
Many, many, many people in Congress went to law school. This is basic stuff people. Go on Wikipedia and look up some biographies.
Sure champ but I was referring more to the orderly progression from part-time local lawyer to U.S. senator. Robert Caro's biography on LBJ might be worth checking if you're interested in how local and national campaigning works.

And the people I know who are getting anywhere in politics devote everything to it; there are so many volunteers and and parttimers that do the grunt work but its the people who commit to a campaign full time and actively & regularly participate in their party organization at the local and state levels that seem to get somewhere.

hopeboaltberkeley

Bronze

Post by hopeboaltberkeley » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Honestly why don't you just intern or work in DC for a year to start building a network there, retake the LSAT and go to GTown. Work on a campaign, in an official's office, or at a think tank.

I feel like a 3 point improvement could make the difference and you have plenty of time to make that improvement. Your resume/personal statement could be improved by the experience and you would have time to get a better letter of rec. The 1 year school break will be refreshing too.

Even by your really specific non-t14 criteria GT's network would be better than GW's. Don't risk transferring into Gt. there's a chance you won't make the cut. You'll lose your chance at scholarships and (I think?) law review. The latter of which I imagine would be a great networking opportunity.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:30 pm

A little annoyed you happen to be headed to GW and portraying yourself in this manner. But it's a big school so meh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buntort

New

Post by buntort » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:31 pm

brianiac wrote:I can almost here you sneering about my intelligence.
:lol:

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:32 pm

hopeboaltberkeley wrote:Honestly why don't you just intern or work in DC for a year to start building a network there, retake the LSAT and go to GTown. Work on a campaign, in an official's office, or at a think tank.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:34 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:But that's TLS common wisdom anyway, with the huge caveat that you shouldn't pay sticker for a chance at a job that pays 60k a year. I've never seen a TLS poster get told to go to some random T14 instead of a strong regional with $$ if they say they want to work as a PD/ADA.
Me neither - go TLS. But I think when people are a bit more ambivalent about their career goals (probably because they don't read the sticky), we tend to default towards Cornell with a full ride over Emory with a full ride without really even giving much thought to it. Maybe that's because most of these posters have no clue what they're going to do with their law degree, and letting the 1L tides carry them into biglaw is TCR. I dunno. I don't see "homg too much T14!" as the problem as much as "homg, too many directionless 0Ls"

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Big Red wrote:If this is for real, you should really consider trying to get on the hill for year. You're not going to take this seriously so I'm not going to go into why that would be smart for you politically and personally, but try to remember me 3 years from now when you realize that's what you should have done :D
Sorry, but I'm not going to take a year off. It's just not possible. But I'm glad you are a future teller and know exactly what's going to happen three years from now.
tacocat wrote:Sounds like poor judgement...asking the liberal women's rights teacher you told to get back in the kitchen to write you a LOR.
You are impugning my character. I never said anything like that. But what is the point of having a class if you cannot debate ideas? Just because people of your political ideology want to tamp down discourse and the free expression of ideas doesn't make it a valid academic model.
lurkerlarry wrote:‘Special snowflake’ syndrome, is a disease in which the subject believes that because they occupy a subculture mildly different to the mainstream, they are inherently better, and above them. The subject will never state that they are better, but it is implied, as is the belief that they are rare in their qualities, despite, in reality, being an only slightly less common cliche.
Yes, the T14 or bust posters believe they are inherently better, and I am here to tell them they are not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:38 pm

twenty wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:But that's TLS common wisdom anyway, with the huge caveat that you shouldn't pay sticker for a chance at a job that pays 60k a year. I've never seen a TLS poster get told to go to some random T14 instead of a strong regional with $$ if they say they want to work as a PD/ADA.
Me neither - go TLS. But I think when people are a bit more ambivalent about their career goals (probably because they don't read the sticky), we tend to default towards Cornell with a full ride over Emory with a full ride without really even giving much thought to it. Maybe that's because most of these posters have no clue what they're going to do with their law degree, and letting the 1L tides carry them into biglaw is TCR. I dunno. I don't see "homg too much T14!" as the problem as much as "homg, too many directionless 0Ls"
I agree, but I think that's a feature not a bug. Government hiring requires a lot of dedication and work. BigLaw hiring from a T14 requires decent grades and a pulse (obviously, I'm exaggerating.) If people haven't figured out what they want to do with a law degree, definitely best to steer them to places that will maximize their shot at BigLaw. If they decide down the road that they want to do something else, it's a lot less harrowing if they have a job lined up just in case.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:39 pm

So many things I could say here! But primarily I hope OP's name is Brian otherwise the irony that he tried to call himself a brainiac and spelled it wrong is too much.

Also lol at him calling setting up a solo shop and running for office (not being in office, just running) as a "dual income stream." Both of those are more likely to cost him money than generate income.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:40 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:Now we know why you didn't do too hot on your LSAT > There might be no correlation between Law School and Congress... In fact, 55% of Congressmen are NOT lawyers...

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0220181951
First of all I did very well on my LSAT so I don't know what you're talking about. Second of all, you just proved that 45% of Congressmen ARE lawyers. Apparently you don't know what irony means.
twenty wrote:Ironically, when you cut through all the bullshit, OP's not actually that wrong.
But any semi-reasonably inferences are quickly drowned out by these gems:
For example, I am going into politics and will attend a school with excellent placement in that realm. Those who want to work in the private sector but don't want to sell their soul and do 110+ hour (on average) weeks in the office can find non-biglaw jobs in any of the Tier 1, and in most of the Tier 2.

So I don't even know.
Okay so what is the problem then. Which part do you find so objectionable.
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Tuition at HLS was about 12,000/year when Obama went. Different ballgame.

And yea, I bet local business owners are going to be tripping over themselves to pay for your legal services when you set up a solo shop after three years at GW.
I'm not worried about the money. I know the costs thank you. And GW has a fine reputation, even in my home state. So that is also not an issue. Let's spend less time talking about me and more time talking about the topic: how TLS posters need to move beyond T14 or bust.
I hear people have this T14 mentality even for public service, ALL THE TIME. You've just become used to it because you spend so much time here and have literally thousands of posts so you can't see it anymore.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”