UVA vs. UF ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA vs. UF

UVA
46%
UF
54%

Total votes: 24

pleasegivemeadvice

UVA vs. UF ($$$)

Postby pleasegivemeadvice » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:13 pm

I am trying to decide between UVA at sticker price versus UF with a scholarship. UVA will cost me around $52k a year, whereas with UF it is around $3k-$4k a year. I am from Florida and have connections here, but I am not sure where I want to end up. I know that my goal out of law school is to try to get a federal clerkship. Perhaps biglaw after that.

I will be financing my entire legal education through loans. Thanks for the advice.

pleasegivemeadvice

Re: UVA vs. UF ($$$)

Postby pleasegivemeadvice » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:35 am

Last edited by pleasegivemeadvice on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:37 am

A layup! Retake the LSAT and go to a highly-ranked school for free or close to it, given your goals.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:54 am

Retake > UF > do anything else, even an unpaid internship > UVA at sticker

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:57 am

3.93! Definitely retake. If you crack the 170s you should have excellent options throughout the T14. Definitely take a year, get some more work experience, and study up for a retake!

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:14 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Retake > UF > do anything else, even an unpaid internship > UVA at sticker

This.

There are few words to describe how dumb and irresponsible debt financing full UVA COA would be in a situation like this.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 am

Yikes @ sticker, sorry OP, retake is best here, you don't have any other options??

pleasegivemeadvice

Postby pleasegivemeadvice » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:48 am

Emory at 27k a year
W&M at 10k a year
Rejected from Duke. Waitlisted at Penn.

I appreciate the feedback. I don't have any money to take a year off to retake the test since I have undergraduate loans and I graduate in May.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 am

pleasegivemeadvice wrote:Emory at 27k a year
W&M at 10k a year

I appreciate the feedback. I don't have any money to take a year off to retake the test since I have undergraduate loans and I graduate in May.

Get a job, then. No one said you had to study for it full time.

Jobs are awesome, actually. Money rocks.

tacocat

Postby tacocat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:15 am

bl1nds1ght wrote:
W&M at 10k a year

Not to mention your application will be stronger with a year or two of substantive work experience. That plus using the extra time to study and increase your LSAT, and you're looking at T14 with money. Possibly big money depending on the score. How much undergraduate debt do you have? And when you say UVA is $52k/yr and UF is $3-4k/yr, that's just tuition, right? How are you paying for cost of living?

pleasegivemeadvice

Postby pleasegivemeadvice » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:19 am

tacocat wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:
W&M at 10k a year

Not to mention your application will be stronger with a year or two of substantive work experience. That plus using the extra time to study and increase your LSAT, and you're looking at T14 with money. Possibly big money depending on the score. How much undergraduate debt do you have? And when you say UVA is $52k/yr and UF is $3-4k/yr, that's just tuition, right? How are you paying for cost of living?

Okay, understood. Not too crippling for undergraduate debt- around 20-25k when all said and done.
And yes that is just tuition because the cost of living is relatively similar. I will be paying for everything through loans.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:25 am

bl1nds1ght wrote:Get a job

tacocat

Postby tacocat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 am

pleasegivemeadvice wrote:
tacocat wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:
W&M at 10k a year

Okay, understood. Not too crippling for undergraduate debt- around 20-25k when all said and done.
And yes that is just tuition because the cost of living is relatively similar. I will be paying for everything through loans.

Yeah so even at UF you'd be taking on close to $70k in debt between tuition and col over 3 years. Add to that your undergraduate debt (not including whatever interest, if any, you'd owe) and you're at around $90k in debt. Considering you don't know where you want to end up, it doesn't sound great to be $90k in debt with a degree that will severely limit your options to one state.

pleasegivemeadvice

Postby pleasegivemeadvice » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks. If I am not going to take a year of working and retake, I suppose the general consensus is UF over UVA (at least in the comments).

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

PGMA, where do you want to live / work? south, midatlantic, or...?

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:21 pm

You need to calculate the real cost. Living expenses, plus tuition, plus loan origination fees, plus interest accumulating at an average of about 7.6% .... you're going to be paying double what you've listed for UVA. You're looking at paying more than 3k/month for 10 years. Even if you get biglaw you lose.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Also what you have listed for emory and w&m, is that how much they are giving you or how much you would have to take out?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:25 pm

If you're not going to retake/reapply then just don't go to law school. None of these options are worth it for you at those costs and/or with those goals.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:55 am

W&M at 10k a year

Ah, taking on more debt to avoid paying current debt. The American Dream. Also quite literally the worst reason not to retake, ever. Get a job.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:51 am

jbagelboy wrote:
W&M at 10k a year

Ah, taking on more debt to avoid paying current debt. The American Dream. Also quite literally the worst reason not to retake, ever. Get a job.

tacocat

Postby tacocat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
W&M at 10k a year

But jobs are, like, hard and stuff. And who cares about moar debt? Everyone knows JD = just dollarz. OP will be rich in no time.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 am

The biggest regret I have about law school is not taking a year off to retake the LSAT and get work experience. The difference WE makes during OCI is huge. I know this is hard to hear (I didn't want to hear it myself) but you'll be much better served in the long run by waiting a year, getting a job, and retaking the LSAT.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 am

The biggest regret I have about law school is not taking a year off to retake the LSAT and get work experience. The difference WE makes during OCI is huge. I know this is hard to hear (I didn't want to hear it myself) but you'll be much better served in the long run by waiting a year, getting a job, and retaking the LSAT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”