Iowa (Full Scholly) vs Wake (Full Scholly)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawsRUs

Re: Iowa (Full Scholly) vs Wake (Full Scholly)

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:So the Iowa law library is amazing thing is just one bored mega-poster's calling card that he/she is trolling the on topics I take it?

There is actually a quick and easy way that I can see if OP is trolling or not. But I need to be online with OP at the same time and date.

Ladzach

Postby Ladzach » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:23 pm

I was just awarded a full tuition scholarship this afternoon at Baylor. So this is something to consider now. That was a surprise.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Ladzach wrote:I was just awarded a full tuition scholarship this afternoon at Baylor. So this is something to consider now. That was a surprise.

Granted, I know Baylor doesn't have good employment #'s, but the fact is you're going to be much better off job-wise going to school in TX (w/scholly, of course) than in NC or Iowa. I'm sure someone said this above, but if you don't have any ties to the area you to go a regional school in, it is going to be VERY difficult to find a job. A tiny firm or whatever in NC/Iowa is going to pick a local kid over you most of the time, which is an unfortunate fact of life.

If you only have ties in TX, you should probably be looking at TX schools, just so you can get a job afterwards.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 am

Pretty positive this is flame

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:19 am

Pretty positive this is second rate trolling..

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:Well going to one of these schools will close more doors than not. You'll graduate with limited legal prospects in the immediate region of either school (neither has any broad reach to speak of)

Go to Iowa if you want to live in that immediate region (meaning Iowa, not Minnesota, Wisconsin or Chicago) for a long time.

Regarding the above: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2013/

Only ~35% of Iowa grads stayed in the state after graduation and about 11% went to IL and another 10% went to MN. The geographical limitations of that school are not as grim as you're making them out to be.

Otherwise, I agree on all other points. BL + FC is about 20%, though.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 am

bl1nds1ght wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:Well going to one of these schools will close more doors than not. You'll graduate with limited legal prospects in the immediate region of either school (neither has any broad reach to speak of)

Go to Iowa if you want to live in that immediate region (meaning Iowa, not Minnesota, Wisconsin or Chicago) for a long time.

Only ~35% of Iowa grads stayed in the state after graduation and about 11% went to IL and another 10% went to MN. The geographical limitations of that school are not as grim as you're making them out to be.

Nothing says that 21% in IL and MN are working as lawyers. That could include people who moved back home to work at their local Starbucks and "JD advantage" folks.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:

Nothing says that 21% in IL and MN are working as lawyers. That could include people who moved back home to work at their local Starbucks and "JD advantage" folks.

Sure, definitely not going to disagree there.

I just wanted to point out that only 35% stay in Iowa. They're obviously not locked to that single state. And with 77% of Iowa grads in bar-required positions, it's not a stretch to imagine those leaving the state are likely to find actual law jobs at their destinations.

Fuck, Northwestern places 79% of its grads into bar-required positions. The only real difference here is that NU grads get significantly more BL jobs.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:46 pm

I assure you that most of the folks going to MN or IL are from those states. And the rest were probably the top of the class and able to land Minneapolis or Chicago biglaw

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I assure you that most of the folks going to MN or IL are from those states. And the rest were probably the top of the class and able to land Minneapolis or Chicago biglaw

This absolutely makes the most sense. I'm not sure that it would work any other way.

ButAChickenWing

Postby ButAChickenWing » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:55 pm

Apparently there's a pretty active swingers club at Wake, so that's a tic in the 'pro' column. Better not defer though, I heard they're all 2Ls.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm

OP: "Hey guys I need some sage advice, can you help me?"

Respondents: "Here is some sage advice"

OP:

https://algeropportunity.files.wordpres ... i-want.jpg

Ladzach

Postby Ladzach » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Seriously, so many of you are jerks, in addition to being statistically inept.

So for starters, Iowa is not my first choice; I am holding out for UT with either being accepted this cycle or retaking and getting that 170 that I more than capable of and getting in next year. However, with Iowa as my backup plan at full tuition in the event that things don't go according to planned, so many of you are being extreme in your hyperbole of "you won't get a job!" if you are an out of state resident or "those graduates placed in these states are likely baristas hahaha" is trumped by the facts.

The facts are that 80% of Iowa grads got jobs last year that required bar passage within 9 months after graduation. A little over half (52%) of the students over the past few years of incoming classes have been out of state students, with california being the second leading state behind Iowa. Statistically this means that out-of-state students are getting legal jobs (granted they aren't biglaw and don't pay perhaps more than 70k) and grads are able to find work in other markets such as Illinois and Minnesota. I visited the law school, and a 3L student who showed me around the school was an out-of-state who has a clerkship lined up after graduation.

I am not saying that Iowa is a T14 with national reach, and that I would be some sort of prestigious asshole if I attended Iowa. But attending Iowa law school for free is a backup plan I am comfortable with.
Last edited by Ladzach on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ButAChickenWing

Postby ButAChickenWing » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 pm

... #NotClearOn no one taking the swinger's club seriously.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 am

Epic "I'll do what I want!" hissy fit. Complete with anecdotal evidence.

*slow clap*

Ladzach

Postby Ladzach » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:14 am

lawdoggy wrote:Epic "I'll do what I want!" hissy fit. Complete with anecdotal evidence.

*slow clap*

I hope you are just a lowly internet troller. Otherwise, you are a complete idiot who has trouble interpreting language, and on top of that, an obnoxious, arrogant asshole.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:55 am

lawdoggy wrote:Epic "I'll do what I want!" hissy fit. Complete with anecdotal evidence.

*slow clap*

When is anecdotal evidence discounted and relegated into irrelevant oblivion?? Stop trying to pretend that people (yourself included) make decisions on the basis of objective and "oh-so-coveted complete and perfect information". It's a damn intellectual cop-out. You contribute nothing. Stop trolling.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:53 am

It doesn't make sense to plan on working in one area for 5-10 years and then move to a totally different part of the country. Its not that easy to move around in this field. Even if your new state has reciprocity with your old one, you'll still have to learn new statutes, caselaw, and local practices, and most importantly - you'll have to build a new professional network from scratch.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 am

Seriously, people that say "oh I'll just up and move" are 100% clueless about this profession.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 am

OP if "obnoxious, arrogant asshole[s]" bother you there literally is no worse profession than the law.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 am

BasilHallward wrote:

*slow clap*

When is anecdotal evidence discounted and relegated into irrelevant oblivion?? Stop trying to pretend that people (yourself included) make decisions on the basis of objective and "oh-so-coveted complete and perfect information". It's a damn intellectual cop-out. You contribute nothing. Stop trolling.

Oh I dunno, round about the time when people decided that basing life decisions on information like "I know this one guy that did this one thing this one time" isn't really smart.

Ladzach

Postby Ladzach » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 am

lawdoggy wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:

*slow clap*

Oh I dunno, round about the time when people decided that basing life decisions on information like "I know this one guy that did this one thing this one time" isn't really smart.

Oh, is that what I am doing? Yeah, if you read my comment, that is all you will find.

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:50 am

3L at Wake here. If I were to do law school over again, I would still go to Wake. If you have any detailed questions feel free to PM me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”