Iowa v. Illinois v. Colorado v. Minnesota

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Iowa v. Illinois v. Colorado v. Minnesota

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
You were talking about non-elite schools, sure. But you said those Iowa kids who got big law would have got big law if they had went to Drake. The full 15%. That's nonsense you silly billy.

Yeah you might be right but I dunno. I also said the schools would almost swap employment numbers. I think Iowa has a better alumni network, and maybe the random joe or two gets a gig with a firm because Iowa doesn't suck, maybe.

So maybe the Iowa caliber Drake kiddos achieve 12% biglaw, not 15%. There is no way to know for sure. But people on TLS downplay the effect humans have on all this, prolly to manage their fragile egos. They cant suck if everything around them is a scam and not based on merit.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:06 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
You were talking about non-elite schools, sure. But you said those Iowa kids who got big law would have got big law if they had went to Drake. The full 15%. That's nonsense you silly billy.

Yeah you might be right but I dunno. I also said the schools would almost swap employment numbers. I think Iowa has a better alumni network, and maybe the random joe or two gets a gig with a firm because Iowa doesn't suck, maybe.

So maybe the Iowa caliber Drake kiddos achieve 12% biglaw, not 15%. There is no way to know for sure. But people on TLS downplay the effect humans have on all this, prolly to manage their fragile egos. They cant suck if everything around them is a scam and not based on merit.

Dude, you're straight up ignoring the fact that firms have class rank cutoffs for different law schools. Granted, neither Zuck nor I mentioned it, but it exists.

Would Iowa students be more successful out of Drake than Drake students? Perhaps, but like you said, we don't have any data on that weird hypothetical. We DO have data based in reality, though, and that data shows us that, in large part, the school you attend matters a lot.

Iowa students going to Drake aren't just going to be able to bootstrap their way into mostly the same employment outcomes they would have had from Iowa.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:21 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Dude, you're straight up ignoring the fact that firms have class rank cutoffs for different law schools. Granted, neither Zuck nor I mentioned it, but it exists.

Would Iowa students be more successful out of Drake than Drake students? Perhaps, but like you said, we don't have any data on that weird hypothetical. We DO have data based in reality, though, and that data shows us that, in large part, the school you attend matters a lot.

Iowa students going to Drake aren't just going to be able to bootstrap their way into mostly the same employment outcomes they would have had from Iowa.

Firm cutoffs matter to like, 5% of people who get legal jobs out of a Iowa. And I bet for these 5%, the "cutoff" between Iowa and Drake is pretty minor.

You just said something that effected like 3 people last year.

Also, how does the data point toward your hypothesis over mine?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”