Emroy $$, Tulane $$ or U Iowa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bbrown90

Emroy $$, Tulane $$ or U Iowa

Postby bbrown90 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey Guys- trying to make final decisions. I am not sure what kind of law I want to practice, but want to be involved with international programs and human rights. Possibly litigation as well- we'll see if I don't bomb. Or maybe I will change my mind 6 other times.

I realize these schools are all over the place, but I am not concerned about location. I would be happy to end up in any of these areas. Except Iowa- but they place pretty well outside of state from what I understand.

Anyway- what do you guys think about these schools in terms of reputation and job placement? I want the best education I can get, and the best bang for my buck. Because other than scholarships, I'm taking out loans. Here is my pro/con list so far, please feel free to add.

Emory- Pro: strong reputation in the area, $57,000 scholly over 3 years, ties to Atlanta, fantastic International Law program, seems to be the most portable, great employment stats
Con: I've heard many horror stories about Emory students- can anyone speak to this?
Tulane- Pro: $60,000 scholly, LOVE New Orleans, laid back atmosphere, fantastic International Law program and one of the largest library collections of International Law literature
Con- less prestigious than Emory (possibly?), COA is still right up there with Emory. Possibly can get more money from this one though. Lower employment stats than Emory.
Iowa- Pro: cheap COL, great ranking and reputation in the Mid-west, in state tuition after a year. Solid programs in all areas of law, incredible law library
Con- it's in Iowa. It's a college town, so a bunch of little ones running around. Also, a real lack of diversity.

If any current students could provide any insight, that would be great too. :)

bbrown90

Re: Emroy $$, Tulane $$ or U Iowa

Postby bbrown90 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Also I clearly cannot spell Emory.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:43 pm

None of these are advisable options

Retake, reevaluate, dont go, etc etc etc

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:45 pm

You should have framed all of these schools with their total cost to you. $57k scholarship over 3 years means nothing when you evaluate schools without putting that in context of what they actually charge in tuition.

Do that.

I also go to Iowa, and if you want international human rights law, retake/reapply/go to Harvard, Stanford, Yale. 95% chance you do not practice int'l law from any of these schools. People are going to rip you to shreds on here.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 pm

What do you mean by international law?

How much debt will you be in at each? Georgetown law's website has a calculator, run the calculations and let us know total cost of attendance with tuition increases, interest, loan origination fees, etc.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 pm

bbrown90 wrote:Iowa . . . incredible law library . . . .

NO, GOD NO.

NO.

bbrown90

Postby bbrown90 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:56 pm

DportIA wrote:You should have framed all of these schools with their total cost to you. $57k scholarship over 3 years means nothing when you evaluate schools without putting that in context of what they actually charge in tuition.

Do that.

I also go to Iowa, and if you want international human rights law, retake/reapply/go to Harvard, Stanford, Yale. 95% chance you do not practice int'l law from any of these schools. People are going to rip you to shreds on here.

I figured. Thought I would try anyway. Here are the schools with total cost to me:

Emory and Tulane are neck and neck (around $120,000), Iowa (around $90,000). Possibility of getting more from Tulane.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:57 pm

-How many times you have taken the LSAT

bbrown90

Postby bbrown90 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:00 pm

LawsRUs wrote:-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Once. 160.

But I don't know if I would do much better the next time around. I took a class, studied my ass off...I am a terrible test taker. With a bomb GPA. Strong softs as well- hoping I can get more $$ based on that.

Also maybe I should add a question: how much would you pay to attend these schools? These all seem like solid places to study law...

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:02 pm

bbrown90 wrote:
DportIA wrote:You should have framed all of these schools with their total cost to you. $57k scholarship over 3 years means nothing when you evaluate schools without putting that in context of what they actually charge in tuition.

Do that.

I figured. Thought I would try anyway. Here are the schools with total cost to me:

Emory and Tulane are neck and neck (around $120,000), Iowa (around $90,000). Possibility of getting more from Tulane.

How are you figuring Emory will be 120K? With a 60K scholarship it will probably be well in excess of 200K

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

OP, I'm a terrible test taker too, but I busted my ass in trying to beat this test. You can do it too! Please retake. GL!

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:07 pm

You sound like someone who is planning to go to law school because you're relatively smart, you enjoyed a liberal arts styled education, you're pretty good at reading and writing persuasively, you want to make decent money, you want to keep career options open, and you have no idea what else to do.

If that's you, then please don't go to law school. Those reasons we're good enough in 1995, they aren't good enough today. You are about to invest a lot of money and time into a specific career path. And at the schools you are looking at, you're really going to need to have a specific and attainable goal that you can hustle for from day one. If you don't have such a goal you have a very serious chance of being unemployed 9 months after you graduate - and your most likely bet is to be working in a small firm doing personal injury type work.

Don't go this cycle. Take some time to develop an attainable goal and a backup plan. And only go to a school where you have a reasonable shot of attaining your goal and a price that makes sense.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”