Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Harvard vs nyu (100k) vs chicago (90k) vs duke (105k)

First time post- I am still waiting to hear back from Harvard about any potential scholarships, however I doubt I doubt I will get much in the way of need-based aid. My career goals are broad, and I can't say for sure what type of law I want to go into, but the idea of working 70 hours a week at big law isn't too thrilling for me. I think I'm leaning towards environmental law, possibly in government, but don't want to make a decision based on that since it may change. Just based on location, I would prefer nyu to Chicago since I want to stay on the east coast. I have 50k saved for school, but the remaining cost will be financed through student loans. I've never had student loans so I am a little wary of going into 200k in debt, but I am also having trouble with the idea of turning down Harvard. Help please…..

Extra info- still haven’t heard back from yale/Stanford, waitlisted at penn, on hold at Columbia. 176, 3.9

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 pm

.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15492
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

With those numbers and the scholarships already on hand you should have little trouble negotiating up to a full ride from somewhere in the T14. Do that.

ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Ok, so with the scholarships included total COA is


Harvard- 255k
NYU- 152
Chicago- 153
Duke- 129

(Just got these numbers from the student expense budget on each schools website, minus the scholarships). It seems like for every school in the T-14 the estimated COA per year is 78-85k.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:With those numbers and the scholarships already on hand you should have little trouble negotiating up to a full ride from somewhere in the T14. Do that.


Yup. Despite what some other people will tell you on this site, if you're interested in maximizing flexibility the best way to do so is to minimize debt. With your numbers there's no reason you should pay money to go to law school.

Nomo
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby Nomo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 pm

ryan77749 wrote:Ok, so with the scholarships included total COA is


Harvard- 255k
NYU- 152
Chicago- 153
Duke- 129

(Just got these numbers from the student expense budget on each schools website, minus the scholarships). It seems like for every school in the T-14 the estimated COA per year is 78-85k.


Tuition increases, loan origination fees, and interest that accrues during school (at 6.8 and 7.9%) will make the cost way higher. I would use the tool on Law School Transparency to calculate costs.

kingpin101
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby kingpin101 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Nomo wrote:
ryan77749 wrote:Ok, so with the scholarships included total COA is


Harvard- 255k
NYU- 152
Chicago- 153
Duke- 129

(Just got these numbers from the student expense budget on each schools website, minus the scholarships). It seems like for every school in the T-14 the estimated COA per year is 78-85k.


Tuition increases, loan origination fees, and interest that accrues during school (at 6.8 and 7.9%) will make the cost way higher. I would use the tool on Law School Transparency to calculate costs.

Yeah, Harvard at debt-financed sticker is probably over 300k.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Obviously the full ride would be TCR, but that doesn't happen for everyone. OP, did you not get anything from UVA? They were throwing out full rides like crazy earlier. If these were your final offers I would choose between NYU/Chi. Hopefully you can get these lowered though.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 pm

If you're unsuccessful at negotiating, I'd say NYU based on your preferences.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:12 pm

COL in hyde park is like half that of New York, something to think about at least

bklynlady
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby bklynlady » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:07 am

With those numbers, CLS might still come back with something, possibly a Hamilton! Many are turned down by people choosing Harvard and maybe they give them to others...good luck!

ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Nothing from uva, not even an offer of admission. I'm just really torn here because I know 90k seems like a lot now, but my friends who are lawyers keep telling me that Harvard is easily worth that compared to nyu (and I know conventional tls wisdom is to take the money and run)

bklynlady
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby bklynlady » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

ryan77749 wrote:Nothing from uva, not even an offer of admission. I'm just really torn here because I know 90k seems like a lot now, but my friends who are lawyers keep telling me that Harvard is easily worth that compared to nyu (and I know conventional tls wisdom is to take the money and run)

You still have time to make that decision. Go to ASW's if you can. Wait and see what other offers you get. As some applicants withdraw, new opportunities come up. Its only March 18!

ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:47 pm

True, I guess it's early. But some of the scholarships want an answer (seat deposit) by the end of April, so I guess I feel like I need to start making a decision. Maybe I'm missing something here

bklynlady
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby bklynlady » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 pm

I know, NYU wants an answer by April 20 (which is the Monday after there AS event). But you are in the process of making a decision, which is what you should be doing now; obtaining and digesting all the information. I'm sure by 4/20 you will have more clarity!

ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 pm

What I don't get, is that I may not even hear an admissions decision from Yale or Stanford until 4/20, so obviously any financial aid info would take another few weeks. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision without eve having all the info. Can you get extensions from schools like nyu and ask for another few weeks before you commit?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 pm

ryan77749 wrote:What I don't get, is that I may not even hear an admissions decision from Yale or Stanford until 4/20, so obviously any financial aid info would take another few weeks. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision without eve having all the info. Can you get extensions from schools like nyu and ask for another few weeks before you commit?


They will extend for you following a nicely worded email explaining your circumstances.

Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby Instinctive » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:30 am

ryan77749 wrote:What I don't get, is that I may not even hear an admissions decision from Yale or Stanford until 4/20, so obviously any financial aid info would take another few weeks. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision without eve having all the info. Can you get extensions from schools like nyu and ask for another few weeks before you commit?


Chicago (Ruby) didn't let me extend the deadline for my decision in spite of the same circumstances. Not sure what NYU or Columbia would do, as I turned down Columbia as soon as I heard about the Ruby and I didn't apply to NYU.

One thing to also consider: losing a seat deposit is not that big a deal. I lost mine at Yale when I got in here off the WL. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of money for a seat deposit is absolutely not enough that it should impact any later decision-making. As such, if that's the only thing that would hold you after committing to NYU...it's really not a big deal to change your mind if you get a Y/S acceptance later that you want to take. Obviously, if there is any more binding aspect to it, that changes things, but my deposit came with a form to sign that was like, "On this day with all the information I have, I plan to attend," or something similar to that in effect.

indo
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby indo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:35 am

Instinctive wrote:
ryan77749 wrote:What I don't get, is that I may not even hear an admissions decision from Yale or Stanford until 4/20, so obviously any financial aid info would take another few weeks. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision without eve having all the info. Can you get extensions from schools like nyu and ask for another few weeks before you commit?


Chicago (Ruby) didn't let me extend the deadline for my decision in spite of the same circumstances. Not sure what NYU or Columbia would do, as I turned down Columbia as soon as I heard about the Ruby and I didn't apply to NYU.

One thing to also consider: losing a seat deposit is not that big a deal. I lost mine at Yale when I got in here off the WL. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of money for a seat deposit is absolutely not enough that it should impact any later decision-making. As such, if that's the only thing that would hold you after committing to NYU...it's really not a big deal to change your mind if you get a Y/S acceptance later that you want to take. Obviously, if there is any more binding aspect to it, that changes things, but my deposit came with a form to sign that was like, "On this day with all the information I have, I plan to attend," or something similar to that in effect.


+1

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:06 am

indo wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
ryan77749 wrote:What I don't get, is that I may not even hear an admissions decision from Yale or Stanford until 4/20, so obviously any financial aid info would take another few weeks. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision without eve having all the info. Can you get extensions from schools like nyu and ask for another few weeks before you commit?


Chicago (Ruby) didn't let me extend the deadline for my decision in spite of the same circumstances. Not sure what NYU or Columbia would do, as I turned down Columbia as soon as I heard about the Ruby and I didn't apply to NYU.

One thing to also consider: losing a seat deposit is not that big a deal. I lost mine at Yale when I got in here off the WL. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of money for a seat deposit is absolutely not enough that it should impact any later decision-making. As such, if that's the only thing that would hold you after committing to NYU...it's really not a big deal to change your mind if you get a Y/S acceptance later that you want to take. Obviously, if there is any more binding aspect to it, that changes things, but my deposit came with a form to sign that was like, "On this day with all the information I have, I plan to attend," or something similar to that in effect.


+1


This is accurate, you can place a seat deposit so long as you aren't holding any other current offers or acceptances from other schools; if you were admitted to Stanford or Yale and received a generous aid package after you made a first deposit, you could re-deposit there and renege on the prior school without violating any LSAC rules. You could even re-negotiate your position with the first school with the new offer. And certainly don't let a $500 deposit sway you one way or another here.

ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

So I emailed duke asking to be considered for increased merit aid. Their response was that they would be happy to reconsider me, however it may not get done until mid/late April (April 20th is when I need to deposit at nyu). How am I supposed to have time to negotiate with chicago and nyu, if duke doesn't get back to me until then. It's not like I can ask duke to hurry up so I can use their scholarship to negotiate with nyu/chicago???? This whole process seems like a clusterfuck where students have to make decisions without all of their options on the table

stoopkid13
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby stoopkid13 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:40 am

ryan77749 wrote:So I emailed duke asking to be considered for increased merit aid. Their response was that they would be happy to reconsider me, however it may not get done until mid/late April (April 20th is when I need to deposit at nyu). How am I supposed to have time to negotiate with chicago and nyu, if duke doesn't get back to me until then. It's not like I can ask duke to hurry up so I can use their scholarship to negotiate with nyu/chicago???? This whole process seems like a clusterfuck where students have to make decisions without all of their options on the table


Well think about it from Duke's position--would you want to tie up scholarship money only to have your student leave you for another school? Duke wants to be the last school to make you an offer so you are more likely to matriculate at Duke. And the system is not set up so that students decisions with all possible options on the table; just as you are looking for the best school at the best price, schools are looking for the best students at the best price.

ryan77749
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$ Chicago $$ duke $$

Postby ryan77749 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:34 am

Yeah, but I guess what I was trying to find out is if there is a better way to go about the negotiating on my end. Because with all the deadlines, the whole "negotiating" seems unlikely.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, bowser, cavalier1138 and 5 guests