What's the deal with Harvard students?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
skers

Re: What's the deal with Harvard students?

Postby skers » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Scotti, I think you're misunderstanding the plight of the $1MM home-owning/$300k-earning common man.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Agree that the definition of "upper middle class" is geographically dependent. In your case though, maybe what changes in the definition is whether or not you own property rather than how much money you make. As in "you don't live in the Virginian boondocks, so admit that 300k/yr is (at least) UMC." If you're dissatisfied with what it gets you that's fine. That 95% of Americans and 99.9% of the world would be envious of your position means that your position is not "middle class."

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:So everyone can just retroactively get a finance degree from Princeton and walk into Goldman Sachs and call it a day? There's some good shit to what you're saying, but it's drowned out by your flagrant disregard for tact and reality.

Princeton doesn't award an A.B in finance. Too preftigious for that shit

skers

Postby skers » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:15 pm

How do you not know that scotti? Obviously you're from Bumblefuck, VA.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:27 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Depending on how your parents managed their assets and spending, and how generous they are, and whether you're an only child, etc. said parents don't have to be extremely wealthy to afford law school. I had a friend whose single parent made around 80-90K/year (no spousal support or wealthy ex-spouse) and was able to pay for all of law school minus the money my friend made during the summers.

??? Probably inherited money.

or is from most of the country (eg not cities) where 80-90k for a single parent is plenty (and hard to get)

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Its so hard to foe BIGLAW ASSOCIATE
Last edited by bearsfan23 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 pm

skers wrote:Scotti, I think you're misunderstanding the plight of the $1MM home-owning/$300k-earning common man.

You should see 1 mil homes in Bay Area / MFH / DC. It's pathetic.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote: I'm GTFO-ing out of this expensive place relatively soonish because I realize if you aren't in finance making big money, you can't survive here.

We can get a huge place out in the burbs somewhere for 400k. You can't buy sh*t in a big city unless you are a multi millionaire and/or family helps. I'm telling you guys - lawyers don't really make that much, especially taking into account the super high COL where you have to work. This is why I find it funny when 0Ls talk about taking out huge loans to work a crappy job that pays relatively sh*t compared to the high COL and how much sweat/time you have to put into it.

But lawyers still make a shitload more than a lot of people.

Yeah but law school costs a shitload more than most people pay for schooling in general. Plus a lot of law jobs are in NYC or SF or DC, where the COL is like ten times the average amount in the US. Adjusted for COL, I'm not sure a biglawyer salary in NYC/SF/DC is worth more than a 60k salary of an average officer worker in bumblef*ck, Virginia. And you're certainly working a lot more hours for that salary too than the average office worker. Summary? The profession blows and is a scam. I think being a random office worker making 60k in a cheaper COL is better since you're likely working legit 9 to 5 and are a lot less stressed, fewer fire drills, etc.
Last edited by BiglawAssociate on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:45 am

What's the deal with BiglawAssociate?

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:50 am

scottidsntknow wrote:So everyone can just retroactively get a finance degree from Princeton and walk into Goldman Sachs and call it a day? There's some good shit to what you're saying, but it's drowned out by your flagrant disregard for tact and reality.

No, but why not start a business? A lot of the what you guys consider "mega rich" people I know didn't go to a "top school" and don't have grad degrees and have their own businesses. They pretty much all went to crappy state schools just for undergrad and then did something legit with their lives.

Plus, I think even working a 60k office job for 9 to 5 without student loans, etc. in a low COL is better than working law making "dem supposed big monies" in a big city. And those aren't that hard to get.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:56 am

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:56 am

Plus, I think even working a 60k office job for 9 to 5 without student loans, etc. in a low COL is better than working law making "dem supposed big monies" in a big city. And those aren't that hard to get.

So these "60k office jobs in low COLs that aren't hard to get"... what are you smoking?

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 am

twenty wrote:

So these "60k office jobs in low COLs that aren't hard to get"... what are you smoking?

Well you shouldn't have majored in English then.....

If you studied business/accounting/engineering/hard science/nursing (not bio) then it's pretty easy to find a 60k job. And half of those aren't "hard" by any measure.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:01 am

Just chiming in with my reasons for attending H at sticker:

For personal relationship reasons, I had to go to a school in the coastal NE, so I was realistically looking at HYCNP. Also, my parents are not wealthy and cannot help me except maybe to give me a short-term loan for rent or airfare at the end of a semester. Luckily, I have no other education loans. Got waitlisted at Y, got half scholarships from CCN. P got back to me at the very very last minute, no scholarship offer attending, so that was out. So tuition difference between H and CN was around $75k. Factor in the higher cost of living in NYC, and real difference is closer to $60k. I also have a deep and abiding hatred of NYC, so subjective factors would discount that difference even more, say, to $50k, and for the markets that I was considering working in (LA, Boston, and DC - def not NYC), H has a real leg up at median. So price was a wash. I'm also not the gunner type, so I preferred taking on more debt rather than taking on a greater risk of NYC biglaw or no job.

It's still horrifying to be taking out as much as I am, but I think I made the right decision still.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:02 am

sublime wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

No, but why not start a business? A lot of the what you guys consider "mega rich" people I know didn't go to a "top school" and don't have grad degrees and have their own businesses. They pretty much all went to crappy state schools just for undergrad and then did something legit with their lives.

Start up capital is a big issue.

True, but tons of people start their own businesses (especially immigrants who come over with nothing). If immigrants who don't have anything can do it, why can't we. I think we're just too scared and risk averse. Plus, and this I'll concede requires more specific knowledge/training, but if you know how to code, you don't really need any start up capital. A bunch of my friends in college who are engineers started their own companies straight out of college and made a good living.
Last edited by BiglawAssociate on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:02 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:If you studied business/accounting/engineering/hard science/nursing (not bio) then it's pretty easy to find a 60k job. And half of those aren't "hard" by any measure.

So business and accounting are immediately out because they're pretty far from 9-5. STEM/nursing might be TCR for high school kids, but telling people three years out of college to go back and major in computer science is not relevant here. Plus, not many in low COL areas to begin with.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:04 am

twenty wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:If you studied business/accounting/engineering/hard science/nursing (not bio) then it's pretty easy to find a 60k job. And half of those aren't "hard" by any measure.

So business and accounting are immediately out because they're pretty far from 9-5. STEM/nursing might be TCR for high school kids, but telling people three years out of college to go back and major in computer science is not relevant here. Plus, not many in low COL areas to begin with.

Accounting is 9 to 5 if you don't work for KPMG, PWC, etc. Also my friends who are financial analysts work 9 to 6...it ain't hard. The hours are really really easy compared to biglaw. That's like a half day for biglaw.

We've had people burn out of biglaw at my firm in a year and go back to consulting (not flame) because the hours are better.

A lot of nurses went back to school for a 2 year BSN at some cheap state school.

STEM requires more intelligence that I'm not sure lawyers have, so you might be right on that one.
Last edited by BiglawAssociate on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:05 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:

Why don't you just start a business then?

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:06 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

Planning on it actually

Law isn't sustainable long term for most people IMO.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

Planning on it actually

Law isn't sustainable long term for most people IMO.

What will your business do?

You seem like you would be a great motivational speaker

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:23 am

I wanna start a business where I tell people they're shit and hire scotti and bears fan to do the brass tacks

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:05 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:

Lol. Nobody works 9 to 5 except like government.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:13 pm

You don't even have to start your own business either. Buy a few subways an make like 200k a year. Or buy commercial real estate and lease it out. There are way less risky ventures than starting a business, as long as you have the capital.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:43 pm

star fox wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

Lol. Nobody works 9 to 5 except like government.

My parents work 9 to 5 at corporations.

Mainly only lawyers, bankers, doctors, etc. don't work 9 to 5.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:44 pm

starry eyed wrote:You don't even have to start your own business either. Buy a few subways an make like 200k a year. Or buy commercial real estate and lease it out. There are way less risky ventures than starting a business, as long as you have the capital.

I was thinking about this. Money probably a lot more well spent than going to law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”