Harvard vs NYU$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard or NYU (full ride)?

Harvard
28%
NYU
72%

Total votes: 133

Re: Harvard vs NYU$$$

Postby 03152016 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:05 pm

radcaster wrote:So what kind of people actually end up choosing H? I imagine a majority of admits get significant grants from other schools. If what I've heard in the thread is true, Harvard students are either people who qualified for significant grant aid, or people who foolishly gave up scholarship money?

not all students who get h have a ccn full ride on the table

can you explain your thinking? this doesn't seem like a remotely hard decision
you want biglaw. in nyc. and you have a full ride to nyu.
what would cause you to choose debt-financed sticker at H instead?

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:13 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
radcaster wrote:So what kind of people actually end up choosing H? I imagine a majority of admits get significant grants from other schools. If what I've heard in the thread is true, Harvard students are either people who qualified for significant grant aid, or people who foolishly gave up scholarship money?

1. Rich parents
2. Grant aid people
3. LRAP people
4. Some splitters who don't get good T14 money and say fuck it
5. Prestige whore/bad decision makers

1 and 5 probably count for the lion's share. Go for NYU.

radcaster

Postby radcaster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Brut wrote:

My thought process in favor of Harvard is the following:
rich parents
I don’t anticipate being in big law or even law forever. I imagine having an H degree carries over better to other fields and also internationally.
For NYU
what you guys said

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Well if your parents are going to pay for it, they can seriously afford it, and you don't mind taking money from them, then maybe Harvard is the way to go in your case. I would still give it some thought, though.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 pm

radcaster wrote:
Brut wrote:

My thought process in favor of Harvard is the following:
rich parents
I don’t anticipate being in big law or even law forever. I imagine having an H degree carries over better to other fields and also internationally.
For NYU
what you guys said

Look, we get why this seems like a hard decision right now, since you have the H stars in your eyes, but as any actual grad (whether of H or otherwise) will tell you, you need to clear your head of that in order to make a rational decision here.

Typically, one spends marginally more on one item over another when it has marginal benefits that justify the additional cost. You have said literally nothing that would justify paying that much extra. I'm serious when i say talk to grads. Tell them what your choices are and what your goals are. I'll bet you have a hard time finding a single one who says to pick H given what you have told us so far, and there is a reason for that.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:29 pm

HLS student here. Go to NYU. There are some benefits that Harvard may provide over NYU, but none of them are worth 200k.

The reasons that I took H over other schools are:
1) CCN only gave me half-scholly, which ended up being roughly the same as the need-based grant that H offered me. YP'ed at Virginia & Penn.
2) H provides institutional loans to international students, which was what ultimately led me to pick H over S.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 am

brianiac wrote:Since none of the other Harvard voters in the poll are stepping up to explain their votes, I will. We have three main reasons why OP would be foolish not to take Harvard.

1) OP you are being penny wise and pound foolish. Econ 101: if you earn more money you can pay off the debt faster. No school can match the earning potential of Harvard, firms place a premium on the Harvard name. Suppose you are a farmer buying a tractor. One tractor is free but you only earn $100 a day. The other tractor costs $1,000 but you earn $200 a day. The idiots in this thread want the free tractor. Sorry, but I'd want Tractor 2 and so should you.

2) Look at the network at Harvard. Harvard has Presidents, including the current one. Supreme Court justices. Congressmen. I'm going into politics and have done my homework on this. If you want to go into politics there are only three routes: you can go to the top schools Harvard and Yale, you can go to runner ups Stanford and Columbia, or you can go to the DC powerhouses Georgetown and GW.

3) People in this thread want to drag everyone down with them because they didn't get admitted to Harvard and never had a chance. I didn't get into Harvard either because I didn't apply, I could have but I have my reasons for wanting to be in DC. But the other posters are bitter and are taking it out on Harvard. Just use your head. I know you will make the right decision.

I've also done my homework, which is why I'm moving out to Californy to become an actor, then pursue politics later like my heroes Arnold and Reagan.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:37 am

RICH PEOPLE

If your parents are rich and willing to pay, then why are you asking this question? Or are they not legitimately rich (10 million in the bank)?

mustapha_mond

Postby mustapha_mond » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm facing the exact same decision as OP right now. The struggle is real.

I know it's illogical to even consider Harvard, but momentous life choices are often driven by emotion. I'm sure that for those of us who dreamed of a legal career as kids, we imagined beginning it at Harvard, not NYU. Harvard is just so sexy, and I think the sixth category of people who attend are those who are seduced by their dream.

So far, the message I've gotten from talking to practicing attorneys can be summed up as: "There is no right answer. A Harvard degree is special and always receives special consideration, but that debt will limit your decisions for at least the next decade."

I can do math. I keep a budget. I pay my own bills. This is an adult decision, and I am painfully aware of just how much $200k debt will suck. I keep trying to remind myself of lapolicia's point about being able to actually buy a Manhattan apartment on NYC BigLaw salaries a few years after NYU. The prospect of achieving life goals like that sooner puts this decision and the debt in very real terms for me, but still I can't shake the allure of a Harvard JD!

Lawyers and lay people alike tend to assume you went to the best law school you could, and I can't put "turned down Harvard Law" on my resume. Maybe that's worth $200k of indentured servitude to OP and me? Which piece of paper in our offices for as long as we practice law

talk some sense in to me
</rant>

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm

mustapha_mond wrote:I'm facing the exact same decision as OP right now. The struggle is real.

I know it's illogical to even consider Harvard, but momentous life choices are often driven by emotion. I'm sure that for those of us who dreamed of a legal career as kids, we imagined beginning it at Harvard, not NYU. Harvard is just so sexy, and I think the sixth category of people who attend are those who are seduced by their dream.

So far, the message I've gotten from talking to practicing attorneys can be summed up as: "There is no right answer. A Harvard degree is special and always receives special consideration, but that debt will limit your decisions for at least the next decade."

I can do math. I keep a budget. I pay my own bills. This is an adult decision, and I am painfully aware of just how much $200k debt will suck. I keep trying to remind myself of lapolicia's point about being able to actually buy a Manhattan apartment on NYC BigLaw salaries a few years after NYU. The prospect of achieving life goals like that sooner puts this decision and the debt in very real terms for me, but still I can't shake the allure of a Harvard JD!

Lawyers and lay people alike tend to assume you went to the best law school you could, and I can't put "turned down Harvard Law" on my resume. Maybe that's worth $200k of indentured servitude to OP and me? Which piece of paper in our offices for as long as we practice law

talk some sense in to me
</rant>

Personally, I think you seem to have a pretty good handle on the factors in your decision. This is exactly the situation where you decide how much it's worth it to you to say you went to HLS.

For me? It wouldn't have been worth the debt (I turned down Harvard intending to accept the Ruby immediately after my HBS interview led to a ding). For others? It seems to be sometimes. All the uber-posters here will come to tell you there's only one obvious decision, but that's not necessarily true.

It seems to me as though you would prefer life with the NYU $$$, but care about what lay people think of you. I personally don't care what "the average person" thinks of me, so that would never have factored into my decision. For me, NYU$$$ > HLS would be the choice because other people being impressed with the degree the rest of your life at neighborhood parties and such isn't worth the restrictions of debt. ETA: If it really has been "the dream" your whole life...that's tough too. I would rather regret a fixable financial decision than regret not taking a leap when something I dreamed of for years finally became possible and I let it go because of the money.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:07 pm

mustapha_mond wrote:Lawyers and lay people alike tend to assume you went to the best law school you could, and I can't put "turned down Harvard Law" on my resume. Maybe that's worth $200k of indentured servitude to OP and me? Which piece of paper in our offices for as long as we practice law

talk some sense in to me
</rant>

The people whose opinion matters usually recognize that someone with a full-tuition scholarship to NYU was very likely qualified for admission to Harvard too. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether the student loan debt is worth the Harvard name. If you haven't already, you might find this thread instructive: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245100.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:11 pm

mustapha_mond wrote:My goal is to practice real estate and land use law in New York, and I would like to transition later in my career into state politics or the bench. I am from Buffalo, NY, but live now in NYC. I can see myself being in either city after graduation, but Buffalo salaries cannot service debt as well as an NYC biglaw salary. I know I will spend the rest of my life somewhere in New York.

With these goals you're going to find yourself at a biglaw firm in NYC 2L summer and after graduation, working alongside a whole bunch of other Harvard and NYU people. You can be one of those NYU people, able to pocket all that sweet cash, or one of the Harvard people, chained to your desk forced to use all that money to pay back your debt. Just know you are going to end up in the same place from either school.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:12 pm

mustapha_mond wrote:I'm facing the exact same decision as OP right now. The struggle is real.

talk some sense in to me
</rant>

go to H. trust me, there are no shortage of H admits ready to snap up your NYU money in an instant if you don't want it
you'll end up paying $437,091 on the $200k difference at graduation (standard 10 year plan, source: lawschool22's cost comparison caculator)
they'll invest the money saved, and through the magic of compounding interest, retire years and years earlier than you'll ever be able to
go to H. impress your friends. just don't try to rationalize it as a financially sound decision.

Chiller303

Postby Chiller303 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 pm

talk some sense in to me
</rant>

Disclaimer: I go to NYU. Five comments on what you've said. First, people do not always assume that you went to the very best school to which you were admitted. There's a lot of movement within the bands (Top 3, CCN) and more movement than you might assume (from the outside, as an applicant) within the T6 and T14. We have a not insignificant number of people here who got into YHS and opted for NYU because of scholarships (virtually every RTK, Furman and IILJ recipient and a fair number of Ann Bryce Scholars) as well as a smaller, idiosyncratic group that picked NYU for subjective reasons (either they liked the school better or had family ties). All of which to say, the data are not as cut-and-dry as "law students went to the best school to which they were admitted." Anyone who's been to a top law school knows that. Second, I'm more than a little surprised to hear that practitioners are telling you there's a meaningful difference between NYU and H degrees. The data we have on Biglaw and BigFed don't support that conclusion. NYU placed more students in Biglaw than Harvard this year, as it has for many years in the past. Columbia ranked first overall in Biglaw placement for the second year in a row. If you're look at the legal field (and your reference to practitioners makes me think that you are) there is simply no ground to believe that H is better than NYU. Anecdotally, I went through OCI (we call it EIW) in 2013, when the market was still depressed, and got a job at a V5 firm despite not being at the top of my class. I have no doubt that the outcome has little to do with me (except inasmuch as I had taken time off before law school and had work experience) and everything to do with a combination of luck and respect for the NYU degree in Biglaw. Third, and more to the point: your resume will indicate that you were recruited by NYU (I'm assuming you received the Vanderbilt Scholarship and will be able to write as much on your application materials) and that you could have gone to other schools, including H. If you're talking about lay people when you mention not being able to say that you got into Harvard (though they probably wouldn't see your resume, I imagine), that's a different story and seems to me to have more to do with pride (which I don't mean to delegitimize) than other substantive considerations. Fourth, portability: yes, outside of the legal field and abroad your degree from H will carry more prestige. That is undoubtedly true. I would ask you, though, to question the link between prestige and opportunity. As others have said in various threads, your professional reputation will account for much more of the opportunity you get mid-career than anything else. Prestige will be a component of professional reputation, but a vanishingly small part. Lastly, I can't quite figure out whether you actually believe that H is worth 200k more ("A Harvard degree is always special") or whether you prefer it subjectively ("talk some sense in to me"). I think you have to commit to one or another position and reason from there. If you prefer H for subjective or idiosyncratic reasons but try to defend your choice in cost-benefit terms, the argument will fare poorly because wrong.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:11 pm

brianiac wrote:I didn't get into Harvard either because I didn't apply, I could have but I have my reasons for wanting to be in DC.

bro, you're like the best troll on TLS right now - don't ruin it with such brazenly ridiculous statements!

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:18 pm

I voted NYU, because its a full ride. But if you parents are willing to finance it and they are rich enough that it doesn't matter to them, sure go to Harvard. I think its silly to do so, but its not my $.

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Okay, what about Harvard sticker vs NYU Dean's Scholarship of $105,000 (tuition for 3 years approx 166K at present rate)?

Poopface

Postby Poopface » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:05 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
brianiac wrote:Since none of the other Harvard voters in the poll are stepping up to explain their votes, I will. We have three main reasons why OP would be foolish not to take Harvard.

1) OP you are being penny wise and pound foolish. Econ 101: if you earn more money you can pay off the debt faster. No school can match the earning potential of Harvard, firms place a premium on the Harvard name. Suppose you are a farmer buying a tractor. One tractor is free but you only earn $100 a day. The other tractor costs $1,000 but you earn $200 a day. The idiots in this thread want the free tractor. Sorry, but I'd want Tractor 2 and so should you.

2) Look at the network at Harvard. Harvard has Presidents, including the current one. Supreme Court justices. Congressmen. I'm going into politics and have done my homework on this. If you want to go into politics there are only three routes: you can go to the top schools Harvard and Yale, you can go to runner ups Stanford and Columbia, or you can go to the DC powerhouses Georgetown and GW.

3) People in this thread want to drag everyone down with them because they didn't get admitted to Harvard and never had a chance. I didn't get into Harvard either because I didn't apply, I could have but I have my reasons for wanting to be in DC. But the other posters are bitter and are taking it out on Harvard. Just use your head. I know you will make the right decision.

I've also done my homework, which is why I'm moving out to Californy to become an actor, then pursue politics later like my heroes Arnold and Reagan.

You and everyone else on this site are the cynical bastards that would have died trying to convince young arnold and young reagan to not move to hollywood to follow their dreams. I also don't understand all the prestige whore haters- if someone wants to pay 200k to be able to hang a harvard degree in their office and tell all their friends and random lay people that they study at harvard law, wtf do you care? You ain't paying off that debt

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:46 am

This thread sucks

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 pm

Brianiac's tractor analogy was pretty epic. Such logic. TCR

wsag826

Postby wsag826 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:52 am

I think that, given your financial situation and the options presented, you should go with your gut. And I think, based on your previous posts OP, your gut is saying Harvard. Don't feel bad because debt-averse TLSers are scaring you away from monthly debt payments by pointing to employment outcomes.

YHS is a floor above CCN for a reason. YHS will give you more latitude to do with your career whatever it is you'd like to. Not saying NYU won't give you any latitude, but an HLS degree will certainly give you more. If your parents are OK with financing, there's no need to feel bad about turning down a full ride at a school with a lower reputation. I'm not dogging NYU, which would be an excellent choice. I'm merely saying that OP's financial situation does not necessitate the typical debt-averse "take sticker and you'll die" argument, so thus OP should consider the prestige, network, and reputation of HLS and NYU before deciding.

Financially, you will be fine with an HLS degree at sticker. Anyone who wishes to suggest that an HLS degree will push you into squalor or middle-class "mediocrity" can be my guest...but I think rational people know that an HLS degree will make you rich the same way an NYU degree does. Outside of the TLS bubble, it is my opinion that NYU over HLS with any financial package given your circumstances would be hard to rationalize.

Note that this is just me, a 0L, speaking for the minority here when I say that debt cannot always and should not always be the final consideration. You can be obsessed about money and maybe you'll always feel financially secure. Or you can take a risk to put yourself in a better position. Best case scenario, you control your destiny with an HLS degree. Worst case scenario, you have a degree from Harvard Law School and your loving parents will gladly incur monthly payments because they can afford to and because wisdom has told them that money cannot always be one's #1 consideration.

brianiac

Postby brianiac » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:17 am

wsag826 wrote:I think that, given your financial situation and the options presented, you should go with your gut. And I think, based on your previous posts OP, your gut is saying Harvard. Don't feel bad because debt-averse TLSers are scaring you away from monthly debt payments by pointing to employment outcomes.

YHS is a floor above CCN for a reason. YHS will give you more latitude to do with your career whatever it is you'd like to. Not saying NYU won't give you any latitude, but an HLS degree will certainly give you more. If your parents are OK with financing, there's no need to feel bad about turning down a full ride at a school with a lower reputation. I'm not dogging NYU, which would be an excellent choice. I'm merely saying that OP's financial situation does not necessitate the typical debt-averse "take sticker and you'll die" argument, so thus OP should consider the prestige, network, and reputation of HLS and NYU before deciding.

Financially, you will be fine with an HLS degree at sticker. Anyone who wishes to suggest that an HLS degree will push you into squalor or middle-class "mediocrity" can be my guest...but I think rational people know that an HLS degree will make you rich the same way an NYU degree does. Outside of the TLS bubble, it is my opinion that NYU over HLS with any financial package given your circumstances would be hard to rationalize.

Note that this is just me, a 0L, speaking for the minority here when I say that debt cannot always and should not always be the final consideration. You can be obsessed about money and maybe you'll always feel financially secure. Or you can take a risk to put yourself in a better position. Best case scenario, you control your destiny with an HLS degree. Worst case scenario, you have a degree from Harvard Law School and your loving parents will gladly incur monthly payments because they can afford to and because wisdom has told them that money cannot always be one's #1 consideration.

Finally someone with some perspective. IT IS NOT ABOUT DEBT, IT IS ABOUT LONG TERM OPPORTUNITY. TLS only thinks about the former but rarely the latter. Would you rather pay handsomely for a prize-winning stallion or get a discount on a mule. Both get you out of the gate. But only one gets you ahead in life. Thank you for raising this issue. I can see the hivemind's heads exploding now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:02 am

Did you hear that, CCN folks? Y'all bought mules.

brianiac

Postby brianiac » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:05 am

heythatslife wrote:Did you hear that, CCN folks? Y'all bought mules.

Sorry to break reality to you. But go ask a man on the street to name a top law school. I guarantee you they will not say Columbia. They will not say Chicago (if they've even heard of it). They will not say NYU. They will say Harvard. I call them like I see them.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 am

Because a man on the street is going to get you a job, right?

Anyway, I've no use for lay prestige, since I can't use it to get laid any more.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”