Chicago ($), Cornell ($$$), or Berkeley (??)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sheishkabob

Chicago ($), Cornell ($$$), or Berkeley (??)

Postby sheishkabob » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Last edited by sheishkabob on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

downbeat14

Re: Chicago ($), Cornell ($$$), or Berkeley (??)

Postby downbeat14 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:25 am

I don't think Chicago has an edge over Berkeley for West Coast big law. At equivalent cost, I would pick Berkeley. I haven't seen many Cornell kids around here, but it could be self selection.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:33 am

Both of these are on the list for Berkeley's matching program. Depending on the money, I'd lean Berk.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 am

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 am

See what Berk offers and then ask again.

I don't think there's a point in picking Chicago over Berk for west coast BL unless Chicago is cheaper. It would definitely be worth it to pay more for Berk than Cornell considering how much you like the area and the fact that I do think it's easier to get west coast BL from Berk than Cornell. Not sure how much extra I'd pay though. Not $120,000 plus interest.

Phil Brooks

Postby Phil Brooks » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:57 am

Wait a minute, a 166 k-jd gets $120k from Cornell?! Either you are not disclosing something (i.e. you cured cancer/are URM) or the market for applications has REALLY tanked in the three years since I applied as a k-jd with the same stats.

In any case, congratulations for being special or for successfully taking advantage of the situation.

UofCforme

Postby UofCforme » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:06 am

Chicago will likely bump you to 45-50K range. That being said though, if Berkeley gets even close to matching Cornell you should go there.

Also, doesn't Berkeley not have grades or some crap like that? That sounds nice.

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:19 am

Last edited by sheishkabob on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:33 am

sheishkabob wrote:Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

Nooo, not a URM, and definitely didn't cure cancer. I don't really know what happened either...I have some solid work experience/leadership stuff, but I doubt that it's "special" considered to what everyone else has, especially after talking with students at Berk's ASW.

So you guys think it's worth a shot to try and negotiate with Chicago using Cornell's offer? I'm honestly worried they would get pissed and tell me to fuck off ahah

Also, what's the max extra that you guys would be willing to pay for a good quality of life? I know I would be happier in a big city (Chicago or SF), and I'm worried about the college-centered vibe of Ithaca. This might sound stupid...but I'm also not used to a snowy environment, and I'm worried it would decrease my motivation substantially (in Chicago or Ithaca, although at least Chicago has the city life). If need be I'm cool with sucking it up for a few years, I know Cornell is an awesome opportunity. Downbeat mentioned that 90k should be the minimum to pick Chicago or Berk over Cornell, is this the consensus? Would 60k be pushing it (hypothetically)? I agree with Lavitz that I definitely couldn't/wouldn't pay sticker for Berk if they didn't give me anything, although it would suck to officially say no

Berkeley isn't in SF, although it's across the bridge.

I'd go with the money, but it'd be helpful if you posted total COA over the 3 years. You may have to start working in New York and then lateral to California - but if you take the scholarship you may cut down your biglaw time by 2-3 years which is a TON OF TIME in biglaw. You have no idea how much biglaw sucks.

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Added estimated debt using the Georgetown calculator. Chicago's scholarship as of now makes it pretty much the same price as Berk because Chicago is a bit more expensive tuition wise.

Is it typically doable to switch from a big law location in NY to one in California (LA or SF) after a year or so?

Also, should USC be a contender in this? They offered 120k (the same as Cornell, although I could probably negotiate USC with the Cornell offer). I would ideally like to end up in SoCal, but would I still have to be in the top of my class for USC to get big law in SoCal, whereas I would have a bit more cushioning at Cornell? Or does Cornell not have a competitive advantage (in the LA market)?

Dog

Postby Dog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:47 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Added estimated debt using the Georgetown calculator. Chicago's scholarship as of now makes it pretty much the same price as Berk because Chicago is a bit more expensive tuition wise.

Is it typically doable to switch from a big law location in NY to one in California (LA or SF) after a year or so?

Also, should USC be a contender in this? They offered 120k (the same as Cornell, although I could probably negotiate USC with the Cornell offer). I would ideally like to end up in SoCal, but would I still have to be in the top of my class for USC to get big law in SoCal, whereas I would have a bit more cushioning at Cornell? Or does Cornell not have a competitive advantage (in the LA market)?

I don't think Cornell would have much if any advantage in SoCal. Maybe someone else knows more about that. A big advantage of Cornell is you would have a huge advantage in NYC as a fall back plan.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:05 am

Dog wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Added estimated debt using the Georgetown calculator. Chicago's scholarship as of now makes it pretty much the same price as Berk because Chicago is a bit more expensive tuition wise.

I don't think Cornell would have much if any advantage in SoCal. Maybe someone else knows more about that. A big advantage of Cornell is you would have a huge advantage in NYC as a fall back plan.

This. Cornell doesn't have an advantage outside of NYC IMO. But you could probably get NYC biglaw and then lateral after a couple of years.

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Last edited by sheishkabob on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:18 pm

sheishkabob wrote:So going to a So cal market is easier from USC vs. Cornell, there's just no back up plan if that fails with USC? So is cornell>USC?

What about Michigan vs. Cornell? Michigan offered 60k + $12,500 need based aid for a total of 72.5k

For LA biglaw it's not really easier it's just similar. For everything else USC is easier. If you'd be okay working in NYC for a few years then yes Cornell is better. The job prospects are significantly better for someone planning to start in biglaw. The "back up plan" for USC students is a job other than biglaw, which is fine for some people but maybe not for you.

No reason to take Michigan with 72,500 over Cornell with 120k

Also you should take the June LSAT and try to improve your score unless you don't care about the cost of law school and the job prospects

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Please retake. With your GPA, improving by just 4 or 5 points will likely be worth north of $100k.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”