Not sure what to do Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WaysToGo

New

Not sure what to do

Post by WaysToGo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've taken the LSAT twice: 150 June, 156 September. Non-URM with what I think are pretty good softs (heavily involved on campus and held a few important positions)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.919, LSAC still has me at a 3.92 graduating in May.

So far I've gotten into ASU (State resident) with a scholarship, SMU with a scholarship, and Baylor with no money.

Denied from UT and BC, and wait listed at George Washington & BU. I'm still waiting on responses from a few schools, but this is what I'm working with right now.

Regarding COA, I am fortunate enough to have my family cover everything, with no need to worry about loans, etc. Since I'm in this position I didn't see the need to calculate COA, but if necessary I will go back and do it.

As for career, ideally I would love to work in sports, either as an agent, or for a pro-team within the MLB, NFL or NBA. Since this is a tough market to crack, working within the business realm would be the more realistic option.

Where I want to work work - I've enjoyed everything Texas has had to offer during my undergraduate career but think moving to to the D.C. area may be advantageous down the line due to connections that can be made. I have no problem going back to Arizona, but would rather do that as a last resort.

Will provide more information as/if necessary. I'm just unsure of what my best move would be at this point, and any responses are greatly appreciated!

Clearly

Gold

Re: Not sure what to do

Post by Clearly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:20 pm

How did you study for the LSAT? It'd be a disgrace to take any of these options with that GPA.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Please retake.

WaysToGo

New

Post by WaysToGo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Clearly - I took class with Powerscore leading up to both exams.

I'm honestly not good when it comes to standardized tests, as lame as an excuse as that may be

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Take a year off, figure out why that is, and master the LSAT. A lot of people have a hard time improving and then it clicks. If it doesn't, spend your family's money on something else, because none of these schools are worth anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:31 pm

ASU is only worth it if you want to be in Arizona the rest of your life. Same with SMU and Texas. And you need big $$ from them to be worth it

Retake with that GPA. Please. Study your ass off for half a year or something.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Given your goals and current options I don't think you should go to law school. You're first choice of a career wouldn't even be realistic if you were going to Harvard. Your second choice is incredibly vague. You sound like someone who wants to go to law school because you're pretty good at school; you like reading, writing, speaking, and arguing; you enjoy reading articles about the supreme court in The Atlantic; you would like to make decent money; and you don't know what else to do. If that's you, then you shouldn't be going to law school right now.

Before going to law school you need to have a very specific idea of what you want to do so that you can hustle after it all three years. And its particularly important to hustle when you're at one the types of schools you are currently looking at. You're wasting your time with the goal of being a sports agent or working in "the business realm."

Please don't go to law school right now. You are absolutely going to regret it.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm curious just how long a lurker you've been because judging from your post it seems like you've missed even the core concepts of TLS. For starters, you can't just say "Well, I took the prep class and I am what I am", then plow forward without readjusting or reassessing your situation.

You have a sterling GPA, a shit LSAT, and unfathomably unrealistic career goals. Thinking that you're going to be a sports agent with a law degree is like joining the air force and thinking that you'll become an astronaut. It's just not going to happen - especially not coming out of Arizona State. Or Baylor. Or GW. Even your fallback of "business realm" law is unrealistic.

1) You have to understand what jobs are actually available to JD's. You have to know what it takes to get those jobs. You have to be ok with that. Take a look at this really quick:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... yers/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/guides/ABA-Data-Terms/

2) You have to fully comprehend just how much law school costs. Even if your parents are willing to foot the bill, even with in-state, even with partial scholarship, it's going to cost a buttload of money. Baylor at sticker price will cost $287,000. Even if things pan out as best as you can hope for and you slide in off GW's waitlist, you're asking your parents to drop 300,000 cash.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/asu/costs/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... osts/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/costs/2013/

3) You have to understand what these different schools offer in terms of employment numbers, and opportunities from these schools. You don't get to just "move to the D.C. area" on a whim. People don't stay and chase ambulances in El Paso because they're too stupid to think to move to D.C. Hell, it's no guarantee that you could even find a job in Arizona out of Baylor.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... yers/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2013/

So yeah. Figure out if you want to be a lawyer. Figure out where you want to be a lawyer. Figure out what schools help you achieve those goals. Prep for the LSAT to the point where you are consistently scoring high enough that you know what your score will be - not just because the next retake has come up (this can/might/will require you to sit out for at least 1 application cycle). THEN retake the LSAT.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:Please retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”