Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
santiagom2
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby santiagom2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Because no matter what i do at this point im going to need to borrow money before i can make any! Thats my reality, regardless im obligated to take on debt. But to quit early now and not try to get a good legal education, just because some people on the internet say that 99% of law students in america are all totally screwed no matter, would be pretty friggin insane lol. Anybody going to grad school in america right now faces the same issue except for a privileged or super lucky 10% of american citizens. This is not just a situation for law students. Its a problem with the country and education in general. But that doesnt mean you just dont friggin try, and plus work ethic, connections, and determination go a long way. But how stupid would any person be to quit while they are ahead just because of what some people anonymously say on the internet?? Like seriously?

i understand the numbers, Ive seen them. I also know that going by statistics and not taking chances is not a way to live, and I find it very hard to believe that every single determined person right now studying in Duquesne, Pitt Law, Penn State, Drexel, etc is already doomed for life no matter what they do. You can always make a living if you apply yourself, you just gotta be wiling to take risks sometimes and know it might be a pain in the ass getting there. All I know is i have one opportunity right now to get into law school, I wanna do it, and honestly i might not have it again. And once im in a good school i can work hard and figure it out from there, one step at a time.
Last edited by santiagom2 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:I recommend tracking down a TLS poster named DaRascal and reading through not only his entire post history, but also the advice everyone has given him over the years and how people react to him.

I'm all for tough love, but that's a harsh prescription, dude.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:47 pm

santiagom2 wrote:But to quit early now and not try to get a good legal education, just because some people on the internet say that 99% of law students in america are all totally screwed no matter,

No one says this.


santiagom2 wrote:i understand the numbers, Ive seen them. I also know that going by statistics and not taking chances is not a way to live, and I find it very hard to believe that every single determined person right now studying in Duquesne, Pitt Law, Penn State, Drexel, etc is already doomed for life no matter what they do.

No one says this either.


santiagom2 wrote:You can always make a living if you apply yourself, you just gotta be wiling to take risks sometimes and know it might be a pain in the ass getting there. All I know is i have one opportunity right now to get into law school, I wanna do it, and honestly i might not have it again. And once im in a good school i can work hard and figure it out from there, one step at a time.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Good luck!

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:51 pm

santiagom2 wrote:But how stupid would any person be to quit while they are ahead just because of what some people anonymously say on the internet?? Like seriously?


You actually misused this phrase. You are supposed to quit while you are ahead. This advice is very applicable in your case.

santiagom2 wrote: All I know is i have one opportunity right now to get into law school, I wanna do it, and honestly i might not have it again. And once im in a good school i can work hard and figure it out from there, one step at a time.


Why wouldn't you have the opportunity to apply to law schools again? I'm not sure I follow why you won't have this chance again, when law schools will begin accepting applications again in September.

santiagom2
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby santiagom2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Thats what im trying to explain to you guys, i wont be able to apply again because applying to law schools and all this crap is an expensive process. I wasnt even sure if my family would be able to help financially support my application process this year, and they did but it required making cut backs. But i cant just throw away everything and tell my parents they made those sacrifices for nothing, especially considering im already accepted into two schools and am waiting for more responses. Im very afraid that they wouldnt be able to help me do this a second time, i was lucky i could do it the first time.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby Mullens » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:58 pm

santiagom2 wrote:Thats what im trying to explain to you guys, i wont be able to apply again because applying to law schools and all this crap is an expensive process. I wasnt even sure if my family would be able to help financially support my application process this year, and they did but it required making cut backs. But i cant just throw away everything and tell my parents they made those sacrifices for nothing, especially considering im already accepted into two schools and am waiting for more responses. Im very afraid that they wouldnt be able to help me do this a second time, i was lucky i could do it the first time.


LSAC gives out need based fee waivers and you should be able to apply to law school for free.

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby Jchance » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:05 pm

I just read this article, I think it's beneficial for you to realize how tough it would be to go to a lower-ranked law school. This is one of those situations that gun to my head between Creighton and Duquesne, I'd take the bullet. I suggest to retake until you get a really high LSAT score then reconsider law school options.

http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2015/03 ... .html#more

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3888
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby pancakes3 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:14 pm

santiagom2 wrote:This is not just a situation for law students. Its a problem with the country and education in general. But that doesnt mean you just dont friggin try, and plus work ethic, connections, and determination go a long way.

...

You can always make a living if you apply yourself, you just gotta be wiling to take risks sometimes and know it might be a pain in the ass getting there.


So why can't your work ethic, connections, and determination find a job right now with a biochem degree?

What difference is there in applying yourself, taking risks, and knowing that it might be a pain in the pass right now with a college degree vs. applying yourself, taking risks, and knowing that it might be a pain in the ass 3 years from now?

NYSprague
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby NYSprague » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:22 pm

santiagom2 wrote:Because no matter what i do at this point im going to need to borrow money before i can make any! Thats my reality, regardless im obligated to take on debt. But to quit early now and not try to get a good legal education, just because some people on the internet say that 99% of law students in america are all totally screwed no matter, would be pretty friggin insane lol. Anybody going to grad school in america right now faces the same issue except for a privileged or super lucky 10% of american citizens. This is not just a situation for law students. Its a problem with the country and education in general. But that doesnt mean you just dont friggin try, and plus work ethic, connections, and determination go a long way. But how stupid would any person be to quit while they are ahead just because of what some people anonymously say on the internet?? Like seriously?

i understand the numbers, Ive seen them. I also know that going by statistics and not taking chances is not a way to live, and I find it very hard to believe that every single determined person right now studying in Duquesne, Pitt Law, Penn State, Drexel, etc is already doomed for life no matter what they do. You can always make a living if you apply yourself, you just gotta be wiling to take risks sometimes and know it might be a pain in the ass getting there. All I know is i have one opportunity right now to get into law school, I wanna do it, and honestly i might not have it again. And once im in a good school i can work hard and figure it out from there, one step at a time.


The flaw in this uplifting argument is that you are mortgaging your future here. You are being unrealistic in your chances of success and you are not willing to see you need to change your strategy.

It sounds like you decided to go to law school at the last minute. Why is that?

If you have a decent degree you should be able to find something else. You need to understand the reality of the advice you are getting. You can not rely on law school admissions to be truthful. You cannot expect that you will do well at law school.

Have you read the Vale of Tears thread?

I used to spend time arguing with people like you. There seems to be an almost unlimited supply of people willing to go to law school despite the now common knowledge that it is a terrible career choice.

If you won't be dissuaded, there isn't much more to tell you.

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:28 pm

NYSprague wrote:
santiagom2 wrote:Because no matter what i do at this point im going to need to borrow money before i can make any! Thats my reality, regardless im obligated to take on debt. But to quit early now and not try to get a good legal education, just because some people on the internet say that 99% of law students in america are all totally screwed no matter, would be pretty friggin insane lol. Anybody going to grad school in america right now faces the same issue except for a privileged or super lucky 10% of american citizens. This is not just a situation for law students. Its a problem with the country and education in general. But that doesnt mean you just dont friggin try, and plus work ethic, connections, and determination go a long way. But how stupid would any person be to quit while they are ahead just because of what some people anonymously say on the internet?? Like seriously?

i understand the numbers, Ive seen them. I also know that going by statistics and not taking chances is not a way to live, and I find it very hard to believe that every single determined person right now studying in Duquesne, Pitt Law, Penn State, Drexel, etc is already doomed for life no matter what they do. You can always make a living if you apply yourself, you just gotta be wiling to take risks sometimes and know it might be a pain in the ass getting there. All I know is i have one opportunity right now to get into law school, I wanna do it, and honestly i might not have it again. And once im in a good school i can work hard and figure it out from there, one step at a time.


Have you read the Vale of Tears thread?



santiagom2, in case you don't know what the Vale of Tears thread is and are curious, I'm linking it below if you'd like to read through it.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753&hilit=vale+of+tears

User avatar
lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm

santiagom2 wrote:I have a paralegal job right now in Scranton, PA. I get shit money right now, about 250 a week, and its arranged that Im giving this job to somebody else after the summer. My opportunities in this area are extremely limited. Its frickin NEPA lol

Out what fucking firm pays paralegals minimum wage.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Yeah doubling down and taking out a ton of loans to a subpar law school is real bad idea. Work on finding a better job and then retake (or find another profession that has lower barriers to entry).

also are you getting paid less than minimum wage?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby Clearly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Remember that time you went to college to get better options and study a hard science, and you worked real hard for four years and years and ended up making 250 a week in an unrelated field with no viable opportunities? You're about to do that again except this time you'll be buried in debt that you will never escape. Your odds of being the type of lawyer that makes enough money to pay it off are near zero. Girls won't want to marry into your debt. Banks won't want to give you a mortgage. Listen to me. Law school isn't out of the picture, but it is out of the picture this year. Find a better job, you have a car and a hard science degree. Then, buckle down and dedicate your life to the lsat. You can do it.

notgreat
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby notgreat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:48 pm

santiagom2 wrote:Because no matter what i do at this point im going to need to borrow money before i can make any! Thats my reality, regardless im obligated to take on debt. But to quit early now and not try to get a good legal education, just because some people on the internet say that 99% of law students in america are all totally screwed no matter, would be pretty friggin insane lol. Anybody going to grad school in america right now faces the same issue except for a privileged or super lucky 10% of american citizens. This is not just a situation for law students. Its a problem with the country and education in general. But that doesnt mean you just dont friggin try, and plus work ethic, connections, and determination go a long way. But how stupid would any person be to quit while they are ahead just because of what some people anonymously say on the internet?? Like seriously?

i understand the numbers, Ive seen them. I also know that going by statistics and not taking chances is not a way to live, and I find it very hard to believe that every single determined person right now studying in Duquesne, Pitt Law, Penn State, Drexel, etc is already doomed for life no matter what they do. You can always make a living if you apply yourself, you just gotta be wiling to take risks sometimes and know it might be a pain in the ass getting there. All I know is i have one opportunity right now to get into law school, I wanna do it, and honestly i might not have it again. And once im in a good school i can work hard and figure it out from there, one step at a time.


Read the last post of this thread:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=242342&start=75.

Patent2014
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby Patent2014 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Here's an alternative option: pass the patent bar, get a position as a patent agent or technical advisor at a firm. This will get you experience and often times the firm will pay for you to go to law school if you do a part-time program. That way you get paid $70k+ along with free law school tuition. Then you have a guaranteed job lined up as well. However, if you have poor undergrad grades it will be tough to get a job like that. But if you do enough networking with firms it may be possible. You could also look at these positions in DC. I'll be working at a big IP firm in DC this summer that has those positions and did a lot of research on DC IP firms and it seems like most of them take patent agents/tech advisors since it's one of the biggest markets for IP.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 am

santiagom2 wrote:Thats what im trying to explain to you guys, i wont be able to apply again because applying to law schools and all this crap is an expensive process. I wasnt even sure if my family would be able to help financially support my application process this year, and they did but it required making cut backs. But i cant just throw away everything and tell my parents they made those sacrifices for nothing, especially considering im already accepted into two schools and am waiting for more responses. Im very afraid that they wouldnt be able to help me do this a second time, i was lucky i could do it the first time.


OP, you came in here for advice and have completely rejected what every single poster is telling you. It's clear you are only looking for someone to tell you that the decision you've already made was the right one. Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

The expense of "applying to law school" is absolutely nothing compared to the expense you're facing if you actually attend one of the dumpster fires you've listed. You claim to be terrified at your currently debt load. Imagine adding $250k+ to that.

Here's the reality: as other posters have said, your 3.0 bio-related BS will do NOTHING for you in the job hunt. Your job prospects from the schools listed are simply terrible if your goal is IP.

OP, go get a real job and be a grown up for a while. If after a couple years, you still want to be a lawyer, retake the LSAT until you break 170 and hope your work experience will allow Northwestern to overlook your abysmal GPA.

But come on, we all know you're just going to convince yourself that we're all wrong and you know better. You likely won't acknowledge the tremendous odds you're facing until it's too late. Best of luck.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 am

Yeah you obviously came here seeking validation, OP, then when you didn't hear what you wanted you said it would be stupid to listen to anonymous people on the internet (even though we all have been through this process and are hardly anonymous). It's your funeral buddy; we can't stop you from making a choice that--in all seriousness--is more likely to ruin your life than not, but at least you can't say you weren't warned.

clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby clintone88 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:39 pm

santiagom2 wrote:Personally, I want to be involved in a kind of law that allows me to utilize my science background and combine it with my love for writing and speaking. I have an honest passion for rhetoric, and I am seriously considering getting into patent law


Patent prosecution really does not match this description at all. The writing in patent law is intentionally terrible, and basic regurgitation of the same phrases over and over again. It sounds like you aren't very familiar with patent prosecution, so I would suggest going to google.com/patents and searching for some patents in a technology area you feel comfortable with, and then spend 10 hours a day reading those types of patents for the next week. If you still feel like that is what you want to do for the rest of your life, you may be happy in patent prosecution.

And, as everyone has already said, a B.S. in bio/chem is not very good for patent law. Firms want a phd, or a masters at least. It doesn't matter if you know a lot, you must have those degrees so they can tell their clients that a phd is working on it.

User avatar
antiworldly
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby antiworldly » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:48 am

clintone88 wrote:And, as everyone has already said, a B.S. in bio/chem is not very good for patent law. Firms want a phd, or a masters at least. It doesn't matter if you know a lot, you must have those degrees so they can tell their clients that a phd is working on it.


A good exercise for everyone looking at law school is to go look at the partners of firms you'd like to work for and ask what makes them special. What you'll find if you browse through IP firms is most of them have advanced degrees or significant industry experience and graduated from either a strong regional in the city the firm is in or from a top national program. Getting through law school and passing the bar isn't the key to a good job in IP, you've got to bring something else to the table.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3888
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:37 am

I think the OP has buried his/her head in the sand too deep to come back.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 am

santiagom2 wrote:I have a bachelors degree in Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology. Most law school advice online seems to be tailored towards BigLaw. Personally, I want to be involved in a kind of law that allows me to utilize my science background and combine it with my love for writing and speaking. I have an honest passion for rhetoric, and I am seriously considering getting into patent law (Plan B, health care). I am currently on my year off, working as a paralegal, trying to get into primarily a school in my state of PA.

Thanks guys![/b]


Having worked in-house at a pharmaceutical company, patent attorneys they hired are all PhDs, I've heard about the same requirement for firms (since you will be dealing with clients with PhDs). Just something to keep in mind.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Biochem Student Interested in Patent Law, Need Honest Help!

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu May 14, 2015 8:04 am

if u get phd and go to good LS/get good grades, ur pretty setup to do pharma/biosims at any big firm

firms in MFH cant get enough phds, esp immunology for biosims




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grades??, jjcorvino, phelpsy, vm223, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests