UF Law instate Tuition + $20k Scholly v Georgetown Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law Instate w. $20k scholly v Georgetown Law @Sticker No $

University of Florida Law
73%
Georgetown Law
27%

Total votes: 15

UFlaw99

New

UF Law instate Tuition + $20k Scholly v Georgetown Sticker

Post by UFlaw99 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:51 am

I have UF law Admission with instate tuition + $20k scholly costing $36k total cost all 3 years OR should I go to Georgetown at Sticker costing me over $160k for 3 years tuition only.

Please help need to make a decision.
Last edited by UFlaw99 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheProdigal

Silver

Re: UF Law instate Tuition + $20k Scholly v Georgetown Sticker

Post by TheProdigal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:57 am

UFlaw99 wrote:I have UF law Admission with instate tuition + $20k scholly costing $36k total cost all 3 years OR should I go to Georgetown at Sticker costing me over $155k for 3 years.
Most are going to tell you no school is worth sticker. But we're really going to need more information about you, your goals, and your background to really answer this.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:01 pm

UFlaw99 wrote:I have UF law Admission with instate tuition + $20k scholly costing $36k total cost all 3 years OR should I go to Georgetown at Sticker costing me over $155k for 3 years.

Please help need to make a decision.
Those numbers don't seem right. Is that just for tuition?

What are your goals? LSAT and GPA?

UFlaw99

New

Post by UFlaw99 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:03 pm

TheProdigal wrote: Most are going to tell you no school is worth sticker. But we're really going to need more information about you, your goals, and your background to really answer this.
I am from South Florida. I am do not mind working for Big Law or Small Law. No preference. Not desperate to make big bucks! I like DC but hate the weather but love the beaches in South Florida but can live anywhere DC, NyC, Miami etc... Background is I have an MBA in finance from top 50 b school and want to transition to law. I am 30 years old. I do not want to retake LSAT. 168 but Ugpa was low at 2.89.

UFlaw99

New

Post by UFlaw99 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Gooner91 wrote:Those numbers don't seem right. Is that just for tuition?

What are your goals? LSAT and GPA?
LSAT 168 Upga 2.89

Those numbers $ are just for tuition only for all 3 years.
Last edited by UFlaw99 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:07 pm

This depends completely on your personal career goals, where you want to work, and where you have ties.

Also, how is Georgetown at sticker only going to cost you 155k? Even if tuition remains flat (it won't) you're looking at 159k in tuition alone. And what about living expenses, books, etc. And if you're paying with loans you've obviously got origination feels and interest that accrues in law school. Most people who go to Georgetown at sticker come out owing about 290k, not 155.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:09 pm

UFlaw99 wrote:
TheProdigal wrote: Most are going to tell you no school is worth sticker. But we're really going to need more information about you, your goals, and your background to really answer this.
I am from South Florida. I am do not mind working for Big Law or Small Law. No preference. Not desperate to make big bucks! I like DC but hate the weather but love the beaches in South Florida but can live anywhere DC, NyC, Miami etc... Background is I have an MBA in finance from top 50 b school and want to transition to law. I am 30 years old. I do not want to retake LSAT. 168 but Ugpa was low at 2.89.
You're going to have a preference for biglaw pretty quick if you pay sticker at Georgetown (unless you have some impressive financial resources you haven't mentioned). Where do you see yourself in five years?

UFlaw99

New

Post by UFlaw99 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Nomo wrote:This depends completely on your personal career goals, where you want to work, and where you have ties.

Also, how is Georgetown at sticker only going to cost you 155k? Even if tuition remains flat (it won't) you're looking at 159k in tuition alone. And what about living expenses, books, etc. And if you're paying with loans you've obviously got origination feels and interest that accrues in law school. Most people who go to Georgetown at sticker come out owing about 290k, not 155.
My grandparents in in DC and I will be living with them for free. The tuition costs will be about $160k or sticker with no $ scholarship.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:24 pm

prob UF

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:27 pm

You haven't said anything about COL for UF. I know Gainesville isn't expensive, especially compared to DC, but it's not an insignificant amount over 3 years. $17,330 per year is the school's current figure. So x3 is $52k. Plus your figure of $36k and you're now talking $88k in debt. That's roughly half what you're saying it'll cost you to attend G'town (which apparently assumes granny and grandpa are covering all of your costs of living in DC).

So you're looking at significantly less debt for a school that will largely restrict you to Florida, or a lot of debt for a degree that's more portable. No one will be able to tell you much more than that without additional information.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Given what you've said, I'd take Georgetown at 160k over UF at 36k (and definitely at the 88k as Cearulo put it). You don't seem too locked on Florida, and its a bad market anyways.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:44 pm

UFlaw99 wrote:
Nomo wrote:This depends completely on your personal career goals, where you want to work, and where you have ties.

My grandparents in in DC and I will be living with them for free. The tuition costs will be about $160k or sticker with no $ scholarship.
You're still not factoring in tuition increases. Tuition is a little over 53k this year. But its going to go up next year, and the year after, and the year after. And are your grandparents going to cover all of your living expenses? Free rent and some meals is nice, but most people are going to still need a few thousand dollars for other expenses.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:56 pm

160k at Georgetown is a lot of money, given the likely employment outcomes. 36k at Florida is also a lot of money, but at least its something that can be reasonably paid off with a typical legal job.

It sounds like you prefer living in Florida, and you're not that interested in making big bucks (the primary advantage Georgetown has over Florida). So I would go to Florida.

That said, I have serious doubts that you've calculated the true costs correctly. And any analysis is going to change drastically if the $$ changes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:34 pm

In -state at UF w/20k would be close to full tuition, right? COL + books etc. will almost certainly run you more than 36k, even in Gainesville. But with no apparent biglaw desires, I'd take UF over GULC at sticker for sure. At least you could drop out after first year if needed and not be up to your ears in debt.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Wow, how'd you get into GULC? Gives me some small hopes for my admission chances. Anyways I'd got with UF if I were you

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:43 pm

UFlaw99

New

Post by UFlaw99 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:00 pm

AT9 wrote:In -state at UF w/20k would be close to full tuition, right? COL + books etc. will almost certainly run you more than 36k, even in Gainesville. But with no apparent biglaw desires, I'd take UF over GULC at sticker for sure. At least you could drop out after first year if needed and not be up to your ears in debt.
Here is the breakdown:

UF: 3 yr Tuition: $36k + COL: $20k + Books $5k = Total Cost: $61k
Georgetown: 3yr Tuition: $160k + Living Free + Transport $3k + Books $5k = $168k

I do not mind working big law but not excited about it either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:09 pm

UFlaw99 wrote:
AT9 wrote:In -state at UF w/20k would be close to full tuition, right? COL + books etc. will almost certainly run you more than 36k, even in Gainesville. But with no apparent biglaw desires, I'd take UF over GULC at sticker for sure. At least you could drop out after first year if needed and not be up to your ears in debt.
Here is the breakdown:

Georgetown: 3yr Tuition: $160k + Living Free + Transport $3k + Books $5k = $168k

I think you're pretty grossly underestimating how much law school will cost you at either school.

What is not exciting about working in big law to you? What is exciting about working in other lawyer jobs that are not big law?

Why are you looking to change careers right now?

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:17 pm

UFlaw99 wrote:
Here is the breakdown:

There's no way you're going to be able to live in Gainesville (or any college town for that matter) for a total of 20K for 3 years. You probably can't even get 3 years' rent for 20k, let alone utilities, food, transportation, etc.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:45 pm

it depends on your goals
for some goals, i would take uf over gulc
for others i'd take gulc over uf
so why don't we start there

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”