Cornell JD/Master en Droit

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
0Droit

Cornell JD/Master en Droit

Postby 0Droit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 am

I've been accepted to this program and at the moment it is one of my top choices. My wife is French. She has a good job here and will likely be offered a 2-year leave for our time in Ithaca. My concern, however, is that the dual degree may limit my employment prospects. If the goal is BigLaw in a Paris office, is this program (and the similar track at Columbia) the best track for getting it? What's the path? Anyone with any experience or anecdotal evidence they could share are welcome.

0Droit

Re: Cornell JD/Master en Droit

Postby 0Droit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Anyone have experience outside of this program making the jump overseas with a JD?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:42 pm

If your goal is to work in Paris as a lawyer, why are you getting a J.D. in the US? Seems risky, expensive and unnecessary.

0Droit

Postby 0Droit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Teoeo wrote:If your goal is to work in Paris as a lawyer, why are you getting a J.D. in the US? Seems risky, expensive and unnecessary.

Because the salaries are higher in financial services for lawyers with an anglophone education. Do you have any knowledge of the market or are you here to flame?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:27 pm

The dual degree won't limit your employment prospects because you get to do AJF before you go; my biggest concern is that, and correct me if I'm wrong, as of this year, all new JD/Master en Droit students have to take on sticker debt for the entire program. Is that not the case? In any case, the degree seems highly unnecessary to me, although I know of people who've had heavy pre-existing ties to Paris nabbing Paris biglaw callbacks

0Droit

Postby 0Droit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:08 pm

runinthefront wrote:The dual degree won't limit your employment prospects because you get to do AJF before you go; my biggest concern is that, and correct me if I'm wrong, as of this year, all new JD/Master en Droit students have to take on sticker debt for the entire program. Is that not the case? In any case, the degree seems highly unnecessary to me, although I know of people who've had heavy pre-existing ties to Paris nabbing Paris biglaw callbacks

Thanks for your input.
I don't know about changes in price. I do know that the 2 yrs at the Sorbonne are charged at half tuition, so three years at Cornell is the same as 4 years at Cornell and the Sorbonne, less any difference in the half-rate of the yearly tuition increase.
JD/master en droit candidates receive scholarships too.
The program also has the added benefit that for French residents health care is covered during their time in Paris.

I am interested in your bold type. What is a heavy pre-existing tie? Have the people you've known done this or another program? Do they work as lawyers or in an advisory capacity on US legal matters?

rackylo

Postby rackylo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:26 pm

Having been a student at Paris for a year, I'd say that French healthcare (for students at least) cost about 200 EUR per year, so this benefit shouldn't add anything to your consideration, assuming that the French policy remains the same.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:20 am

There are so few people who do this program you are unlikely to find any on here. I'd ask the school for the contact information of a few recent alumni. If they don't help you out, PM me and I'll get on their asses.

0Droit

Postby 0Droit » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:42 am

Thanks Lincoln.

cesar84

Postby cesar84 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:48 am

[post removed]

Return to “Choosing a Law School”