UVa at sticker vs Vandy scholly?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
omra

UVa at sticker vs Vandy scholly?

Postby omra » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 pm

At this point, I've heard back from all the schools I've applied to that I care about. And I thought I'd know by this point which one I'd want, or at least have more of an idea, but the decision is weighing on me.

Info:

- Debating between UVa and Vandy mostly. Got in to Duke and Penn, but they don't feel right (though if someone feels strongly that I should pick one of those, by all means, tell me why!)
- Going to Penn for undergrad, need out of philly for sure. Not opposed to cities in general though, just northern ones (no one ever smiles or serves good sweet tea!)
- From absolutely middle-of-nowhere-as-in-you-drive-three-miles-to-see-one-house, so I'm not scared of rural. But, due to reasons, I'll probably be staying in whichever state for at least five years, so the relatively nearby job potential is important.
- UVa's offering nada. Just sent me some info about taking out loans. Which is..daunting, to say the least.
- Vandy's offering 95k total. Still makes loans seem terrifying, but a little less so?
- What kind of career do I want? Hehe, well, I wish I was less indecisive. I'd love to go the public route, I just think it'd be a better fit for me, but having lived a life of constantly being dirt poor, I won't deny that something that's a little more lucrative is tempting. Especially when I think about how much in debt I'm going to be soon... But, I really don't know that I could do that, so let's just say public for now.

So, people of TLS, advice? Anything you could tell me about cost of living, job markets, quality of life, quality of education, or even just simply what you would choose would be appreciated!
(As a side note, I'm the 1st in my family to go to college let alone law school. So, forgive me if some of this I should already know. It's a lot to learn!)

runinthefront

Re: UVa at sticker vs Vandy scholly?

Postby runinthefront » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 pm

What's your GPA/LSAT and how many times have you taken the LSAT? Did Duke/Penn offer you anything? Did you apply to any lower ranked schools who offered you (significant) aid? Are you from the South, and, if so, would you be willing to work in the state where you're from if you don't land a job in TN or Virginia/D.C.? Are you diametrically opposed to NYC?

KMart

Postby KMart » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Sounds like Vandy, based on what you're telling me.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:44 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Also, Duke admitted you and did not offer any money? That seems like it rarely happens, Duke is very good about offering some scholarship money to everyone for the most part, especially applicants who are competitive to other T14s. Also, what other schools did you apply to in the T14?

In general, paying sticker anywhere is ill-advised. Operating in a complete vacuum devoid of any other information Vandy would be a better choice but it's all up to your risk tolerance and debt aversion. If you answer each of the questions listed above it will allow people to provide more detailed responses to your question.

butlerraider1

Postby butlerraider1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 pm

KMart wrote:Sounds like Vandy, based on what you're telling me.

Also, this is so true.
omra wrote:just northern ones (no one ever smiles

omra

Postby omra » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

On my phone, sorry for any typos

Lsat/gpa: 170/3.7, took it once

I'm from southern WV, which is probably the only place in the world that I would never consider living in at all. In general I tend to like the south more just because of the way of life and a few family ties, so while NYC isn't completely off the table, I feel like it would drain me even more than Philadelphia has.

I only recently was accepted at Duke, so maybe they'll offer me some money, but I'm not particularly keen on going there and at the current rate of things I'm not feeling optimistic either. Penn didn't offer me anything. I also applied to chapel hill, they offered me only 45k total.

I'm not afraid to take risks and accumulate debt if it's worth it. But, I don't know anyone I can ask that can tell me how much is worth it and how much is too much. At Vandy, I'll still be taking on a lot of debt, but it is less than I would at Virginia. At what point do I draw the line?

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Considering your numbers I'd expect a better cycle, did you apply super late or something?
Also, retake

omra

Postby omra » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:56 pm

PoopNpants wrote:Considering your numbers I'd expect a better cycle, did you apply super late or something?
Also, retake

I submitted everything by Halloween but was told afte Christmas that there was a problem with one of my recommenders. I got that sorted out pretty quickly but they said it'd count as a later submission date.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:21 pm

omra wrote:On my phone, sorry for any typos

Lsat/gpa: 170/3.7, took it once

I'm from southern WV, which is probably the only place in the world that I would never consider living in at all. In general I tend to like the south more just because of the way of life and a few family ties, so while NYC isn't completely off the table, I feel like it would drain me even more than Philadelphia has.

I only recently was accepted at Duke, so maybe they'll offer me some money, but I'm not particularly keen on going there and at the current rate of things I'm not feeling optimistic either. Penn didn't offer me anything. I also applied to chapel hill, they offered me only 45k total.

I'm not afraid to take risks and accumulate debt if it's worth it. But, I don't know anyone I can ask that can tell me how much is worth it and how much is too much. At Vandy, I'll still be taking on a lot of debt, but it is less than I would at Virginia. At what point do I draw the line?

UVA at sticker is a no-go, I think. I would suggest Vanderbilt at that price, while noting that you definitely foreclosed a lot of options by not applying as broadly as you could have; I'm assuming you didn't apply to NU/Cornell...both of which could have potentially offered you more money than Vandy and gotten you back to the South at a much deeper discount. If you're okay with sitting out a year (a 170 is a nice score, so it's up to you whether or not it's worth it), then re-take/reapply broadly.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Did you only apply to two schools? You should have more options, even with the late application date.

hartfordhockaloogies

Postby hartfordhockaloogies » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:40 pm

UVA > Duke > Vandy w/ $$$ - but you are underperforming your numbers. If no cash this cycle, I'd wait it out n reapply. I saw in another post a kid with a 169 and ~3.7 got 135k from Cornell.

rackylo

Postby rackylo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Did you apply for Cornell? Your numbers should get you a fat scholly from Big Red. Perhaps should wait till then to decide.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:35 pm

UVA sticker = 95%+ chance of huge regret

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:37 pm

Probably Vandy, but I'd reapply. I don't like any of these options.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 pm

3L at Vandy here.

Based on what you have, if you are set on going this year, Vandy is a defensible choice here, they basically offered you half tuition, which is about as high as they go unless you get one of the named scholarships. That still leaves a chunk for living and the other 55-60k of tuition. Expect at least 20K a year to live on, Nashville isnt super expensive (it can be, but doesnt have to be) but rent has gone up a lot in the last few years.

UVA at sticker is not a good idea. As others have said, your cycle seems off with those numbers. PM me if you want more specific thoughts or have any questions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”