BU or BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mwallace930
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:35 am

BU or BC

Postby mwallace930 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Anyone else weighing these two options against each other? What are your thoughts? Is there something that grabbed you or repelled you about either?

User avatar
#caltrash
Posts: 2808
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby #caltrash » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Numbers? Amount of aid received? Goals?

mwallace930
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:35 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby mwallace930 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Amount of aid is roughly equal. A bit better at BU. Debt after, but not unmanageable. BigLaw. Not so much interested in hearing which one I should go to as much as which one other people prefer who are trying to decide between the two or one of them vs. the others. Just people's impressions after visiting the two. I think by seeing the two schools through other people's eyes, it might help me think of them in a new light. Or maybe not.

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:25 pm

mwallace930 wrote:Amount of aid is roughly equal. A bit better at BU. Debt after, but not unmanageable. BigLaw. Not so much interested in hearing which one I should go to as much as which one other people prefer who are trying to decide between the two or one of them vs. the others. Just people's impressions after visiting the two. I think by seeing the two schools through other people's eyes, it might help me think of them in a new light. Or maybe not.


BC unquestionably has a better Boston presence. i know this anecdotally, from personal experience, and I believe there are numbers somewhere to support this, as I have seen them at one point. BU's Boston presence is definitely weaker than BC's...but it's not really strong enough anywhere else to justify going to it over the comparable regional school of the city in question (example--why use BU to go to NYC when you could go to fordham)

The only reason BU remains where it is in USNews is specifically that reason, IMO--US news. people in your position see that BU has been ranked on that site higher for quite some time and conclude it's a better school, and as a result their entrance stuff is always a little higher. it's kind of a self-perpetuating thing, IMO. they also higher profs who get cited more frequently.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby Aeon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:37 am

According to LST Score Reports, BU has a slightly higher employment score, although a good portion of that comes from school-funded jobs. BC has more people in federal clerkships and BigLaw. But the numbers aren't hugely disparate. The campuses and locations are different, so if you've visited both campuses and decidedly prefer one to another, go with that one.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby baal hadad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:38 am

mwallace930 wrote:Amount of aid is roughly equal. A bit better at BU. Debt after, but not unmanageable. BigLaw. Not so much interested in hearing which one I should go to as much as which one other people prefer who are trying to decide between the two or one of them vs. the others. Just people's impressions after visiting the two. I think by seeing the two schools through other people's eyes, it might help me think of them in a new light. Or maybe not.

Neither for biglaw

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby objctnyrhnr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:53 am

Aeon wrote:According to LST Score Reports, BU has a slightly higher employment score, although a good portion of that comes from school-funded jobs. BC has more people in federal clerkships and BigLaw. But the numbers aren't hugely disparate. The campuses and locations are different, so if you've visited both campuses and decidedly prefer one to another, go with that one.


exactly--bu pays a bunch of grads to work. bc pays one.

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby MarkfromWI » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:28 am

objctnyrhnr wrote: The only reason BU remains where it is in USNews is specifically that reason, IMO--US news. people in your position see that BU has been ranked on that site higher for quite some time and conclude it's a better school, and as a result their entrance stuff is always a little higher. it's kind of a self-perpetuating thing, IMO. they also higher profs who get cited more frequently.


Hire

objctnyrhnr
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby objctnyrhnr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:55 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote: The only reason BU remains where it is in USNews is specifically that reason, IMO--US news. people in your position see that BU has been ranked on that site higher for quite some time and conclude it's a better school, and as a result their entrance stuff is always a little higher. it's kind of a self-perpetuating thing, IMO. they also higher profs who get cited more frequently.


Hire


hmmm seems i don't know my homophones. perhaps I'll warn the US District Court Judge for whom I draft decisions and maybe he'll edit my stuff more carefully from here on out.

prick

Gators23
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby Gators23 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 am

If your goal is Biglaw and there's not a contingency you'd be happy with/can afford, the answer is neither.

User avatar
reasonable person
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby reasonable person » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:22 am

BC. Cheaper housing, higher lay prestige, and better alumni network in Boston.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby cron1834 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:41 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote: The only reason BU remains where it is in USNews is specifically that reason, IMO--US news. people in your position see that BU has been ranked on that site higher for quite some time and conclude it's a better school, and as a result their entrance stuff is always a little higher. it's kind of a self-perpetuating thing, IMO. they also higher profs who get cited more frequently.


Hire


hmmm seems i don't know my homophones. perhaps I'll warn the US District Court Judge for whom I draft decisions and maybe he'll edit my stuff more carefully from here on out.

prick

Classic TLS.

Anyway, whichever is cheaper. Unless they're both more than $100k or something like that. Then, retake.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: houwangmagic and 3 guests