UCLA or Georgetown for Public Interest Law? HALP! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should Dipper go to law school?

UCLA
21%
Georgetown
36%
School w/ least debt
43%

Total votes: 14

Dipper

Bronze

UCLA or Georgetown for Public Interest Law? HALP!

Post by Dipper » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Last edited by Dipper on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hand

Gold

Re: UCLA or Georgetown for Public Interest Law? HALP!

Post by Hand » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:30 pm

I don't see why you should be paying extra to go to GULC instead of UCLA given your aims and preferences (in particular given the desire to be in CA).

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:34 pm

[...] impact litigation side. Short term, would love to clerk in a circuit court, but would be really happy in district court, too.
This is not in the cards unless you go to Yale. Having a sub-10% chance from either school at even a district court clerkship means retake/reapply is undoubtedly the best option.
I have a preference for being in California, but b/c of the legal market in CA I'd like my degree to be portable.
PI at either Georgetown or UCLA is going to be very regionally-focused. If you want a job in fedgov in DC, Georgetown for sure. If you want to stay in California and are willing to volunwork for a few years to make that happen, UCLA.
Not interested in living in D.C. after LS.
Do not, under any circumstances, go to Georgetown if you don't want to live in DC after you graduate.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:40 pm

These are substantial debt loads for a pure PI gunner. Also (no offense) but your goals are pretty out there for the kind of schools you're considering. COA clerkships and legit impact lit jobs go to the cream of the crop at the very top schools; at the least, I wouldn't, like, say these goals out loud to people in real life. You'll get a lot of eyerolls from your classmates.

I would say Gtown b/c of the LRAP, but if you're uninterested in DC long-term and prefer to be in California, that doesn't make sense. UCLA is probably best here, but that's still a lot of debt. I would have to think they would increase their offer when you have the same offer from GTTTown; don't let them off the hook there. Try getting more money and try the retake in June; can't hurt anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”