Help me weigh these options

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best Option?

FSU
2
10%
S. Carolina
4
20%
Wake
3
15%
Tulane
0
No votes
Baylor
2
10%
Charleston
0
No votes
Other?
9
45%
 
Total votes: 20

THESpecialSnowflake
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Help me weigh these options

Postby THESpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:24 am

deleted
Last edited by THESpecialSnowflake on Thu May 14, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 am

With your goals, I'd say your best bet would be to stay close to your ties. Either USC or UGA, but I wouldn't go to either unless I had a full ride or very close to it. I'd negotiate and see if you can get SC to raise that scholarship amount pretty significantly. If not, definitely retake. You have a solid gpa. If you can get a few more points on the lsat, I'd say you should be looking at much better prospects.

THESpecialSnowflake
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby THESpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:With your goals, I'd say your best bet would be to stay close to your ties. Either USC or UGA, but I wouldn't go to either unless I had a full ride or very close to it. I'd negotiate and see if you can get SC to raise that scholarship amount pretty significantly. If not, definitely retake. You have a solid gpa. If you can get a few more points on the lsat, I'd say you should be looking at much better prospects.



I have already sent a request for scholarship reconsideration to USC. However, they have typically not been open to scholarship negotiations. Also, from what I have read from others, they are a bit stingy with money, as they do not have a large amount to disperse. A lot of out-of-state applicants receive an in-state equalizer, but they don't seem to give much more to in-state recipients. Not that my scores are outstanding (I know they aren't, but for USC's standard, they are very good), but I am definitely a bit put off that the school has offered me so little when I have received better options from higher ranked schools (not that that really matters). Anyways, I'm hoping for an increase but I'm not overly optimistic.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:58 am

Weird that you aren't getting more money from South Carolina since you are a resident over both 75ths.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am

There are about a million reasons for you to wait a year. You're wasting your GPA with a 160 LSAT. Sit out a year, pay off debt, and raise your LSAT (very do-able. look at the LSAT guides on this site to help focus your study methods).

I think your best bet would be UGA on a full ride and it's very obtainable if you're smart about it.

THESpecialSnowflake
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby THESpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:46 am

pancakes3 wrote:There are about a million reasons for you to wait a year. You're wasting your GPA with a 160 LSAT. Sit out a year, pay off debt, and raise your LSAT (very do-able. look at the LSAT guides on this site to help focus your study methods).

I think your best bet would be UGA on a full ride and it's very obtainable if you're smart about it.



I have definitely considered waiting & retaking. I thought about retaking in June, but I figured that retaking so late would probably not be enough to help this cycle (seat deposits would already be past due, scholarship money would likely be drained, too close to the start of the semester to depend on the results, etc). Don't get me wrong, I undoubtedly see the benefit of waiting a year; a better score could easily decrease my law school debt. In the large scale of things, it's only a one year delay in starting my legal career, a delay that could significantly impact my financial future. It makes sense realistically.

However, I also am extremely hesitant to postpone law school further. I have already been out of undergraduate for 2 years (not a long break compared to other applicants), and I am ready to begin my legal career. As I stated in my post, I have been working a full-time job as a high school teacher. (shit money, shit location, shit lifestyle at the moment). I have already notified the school that I plan on attending law school and will not be returning (our letters of intent were due in January). I also am currently back at home living with my parents (again, shit lifestyle but I can't afford a place of my own) in my small, small hometown. There aren't really any decent job opportunities here, and I am not sure I could actually stand living here longer than this school year always. (It's bad....really bad...) Perhaps I should begin job hunting elsewhere with the intention of relocating for a job and relocating once again the next year for law school (at which time I would hopefully have a higher score). I'm not overly optimistic that I would be able to find a job where I could make enough money to pay bills & save up while only intending to stay at the job for a year.

Sorry for the huge all of text. I'm just panicking a bit and unsure where to go. It's nice to vent sometimes to more knowledgable strangers on the internet. :)

THESpecialSnowflake
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby THESpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:54 am

Winston1984 wrote:Weird that you aren't getting more money from South Carolina since you are a resident over both 75ths.


I agree. I guess I was being too optimistic & this scholarship put my ego in check in a way, but I was expecting much more (maybe even close to a full ride) from South Carolina for the exact reasons you mentioned. Opening the scholarship letter and reading $5,000 a year really stung. South Carolina has left a bad taste in my mouth for their treatment of accepted students, especially in-state residents. Literally the ONLY communication I have received from South Carolina has been that scholarship letter and the simple acceptance letter which looked more like a rejection letter to be honest. It's hard to even WANT to go now when other schools have been much more open, welcoming, and helpful throughout the process. Not to mention I sent a form for scholarship reconsideration and have yet to hear a word. I guess South Carolina knows that, as the only law school in the state (with the exception of Charleston which is an utter joke), it can be as shitty as it wants. It will get enough paying students regardless of the way it treats its applicants/admits so it does not waste the time, money, or effort. (Those words actually came from an alumni, not from me!)

Sorry, I know that last bit about Scar was very mean and probably a bit petty. I just don't think it's too much to ask for a school to show even a bit of interest to its accepted students since those students will be taking on debt to attend their university. Makes me question what treatment would be like once I actually commit and become a student....

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby sandwhich » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:06 am

Oh god don't go to Baylor, even for free.

THESpecialSnowflake
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby THESpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:10 am

sandwhich wrote:Oh god don't go to Baylor, even for free.


Haha! I wasn't planning on it. The full tuition scholarship is nice, but even that cannot make up for the true horror stories. Law school is going to be hard enough; I do not embrace the idea of making it even harder by going to a school that prides itself on the fact that its students are the most competitive & cut-throat. I'm too nice & wouldn't survive haha. I'm not that much of a masochist! :) I thought that I would receive good money from the school & it is ranked comparably with & located in the same region as the schools that I do want to attend, so I thought it might help with negotiation.

User avatar
MistakenGenius
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am

Wow. South Carolina sounds like it needs a new admissions staff.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 am

THESpecialSnowflake wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Weird that you aren't getting more money from South Carolina since you are a resident over both 75ths.


I agree. I guess I was being too optimistic & this scholarship put my ego in check in a way, but I was expecting much more (maybe even close to a full ride) from South Carolina for the exact reasons you mentioned. Opening the scholarship letter and reading $5,000 a year really stung. South Carolina has left a bad taste in my mouth for their treatment of accepted students, especially in-state residents. Literally the ONLY communication I have received from South Carolina has been that scholarship letter and the simple acceptance letter which looked more like a rejection letter to be honest. It's hard to even WANT to go now when other schools have been much more open, welcoming, and helpful throughout the process. Not to mention I sent a form for scholarship reconsideration and have yet to hear a word. I guess South Carolina knows that, as the only law school in the state (with the exception of Charleston which is an utter joke), it can be as shitty as it wants. It will get enough paying students regardless of the way it treats its applicants/admits so it does not waste the time, money, or effort. (Those words actually came from an alumni, not from me!)

Sorry, I know that last bit about Scar was very mean and probably a bit petty. I just don't think it's too much to ask for a school to show even a bit of interest to its accepted students since those students will be taking on debt to attend their university. Makes me question what treatment would be like once I actually commit and become a student....


Look, it's a law school not a hotel resort. The more money they are spending on crap like making you feel good about doing something that thousands of people do per year, the higher the tuition or the less money they are spending on stuff that is actually important. Be pissed that they are stingy with scholarships, but don't be pissed that they aren't hiring a bunch of slick admissions office salespeople.

THESpecialSnowflake
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby THESpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:16 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
THESpecialSnowflake wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Weird that you aren't getting more money from South Carolina since you are a resident over both 75ths.


I agree. I guess I was being too optimistic & this scholarship put my ego in check in a way, but I was expecting much more (maybe even close to a full ride) from South Carolina for the exact reasons you mentioned. Opening the scholarship letter and reading $5,000 a year really stung. South Carolina has left a bad taste in my mouth for their treatment of accepted students, especially in-state residents. Literally the ONLY communication I have received from South Carolina has been that scholarship letter and the simple acceptance letter which looked more like a rejection letter to be honest. It's hard to even WANT to go now when other schools have been much more open, welcoming, and helpful throughout the process. Not to mention I sent a form for scholarship reconsideration and have yet to hear a word. I guess South Carolina knows that, as the only law school in the state (with the exception of Charleston which is an utter joke), it can be as shitty as it wants. It will get enough paying students regardless of the way it treats its applicants/admits so it does not waste the time, money, or effort. (Those words actually came from an alumni, not from me!)

Sorry, I know that last bit about Scar was very mean and probably a bit petty. I just don't think it's too much to ask for a school to show even a bit of interest to its accepted students since those students will be taking on debt to attend their university. Makes me question what treatment would be like once I actually commit and become a student....


Look, it's a law school not a hotel resort. The more money they are spending on crap like making you feel good about doing something that thousands of people do per year, the higher the tuition or the less money they are spending on stuff that is actually important. Be pissed that they are stingy with scholarships, but don't be pissed that they aren't hiring a bunch of slick admissions office salespeople.


I'm not expecting anything like the service of a hotel resort? As I said, I understand it is a business; however, the way that prospective/admitted students are treated IS telling. I am in no way complaining for not receiving things like shirts or cups or "gimmicky" stuff that is frankly a waste of money. I understand that completely. What I am unhappy with are things more important than simple 'sales tactics.' For instance, an obvious would be the stinginess with scholarships, particularly to in-state applicants. It also would be nice to reach out to the school and get a reply (I have received radio silence on multiple occasions both before and after my acceptance). It is also pretty shitty when you receive an attitude when calling to speak with admissions to discuss questions about school programs and even admitted students day. My experience overall has been unpleasant, ranging from complete silence to rudeness. None of these things make me feel like I, an admitted student with grades above the 75%, matter one bit.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby deadpanic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:09 pm

I have a couple friends from SC and they have said the same thing about the admissions office.

Your best option is to definitely retake. Outside of that, if you want to be in SC, then you gotta suck it up and hustle like hell at USC. I would spend every minute you can interning at a DA's office.

You already know this as a native, but SC is an extremely insular state, and even though you have ties, if you don't get top grades or get lucky, the jobs are going to go to the guy whose dad plays golf with the partner at the country club.

ETA: And yeah, I feel like you already know this as well, but don't go to Charleston. Best town in America, but that school is one of the worst law schools in the country, and that is saying something. It may not even be be in existence by graduation.
Last edited by deadpanic on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby rion91 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 pm

it pains me to say it but that gpa deserves better. retake!

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: Help me weigh these options

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:35 pm

rion91 wrote:it pains me to say it but that gpa deserves better. retake!


+1

Even just 4-5 more points would make a big difference for you with that GPA.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests