Help me choose

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hillz

Help me choose

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks all!!
Last edited by hillz on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sirius Blackstone

Re: Harvard sticker v. Chicago $$ v. UVA $$$ v. Michigan $$$

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:04 pm

UVA by a mile.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Voted Darrow without reading the OP because of the stipend, but then changed to UVA after reading your goals. Congrats on the great cycle!

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Yup, with your goals UVA is TCR. Congrats to you and good luck in law school!

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Hillz! You got some great options. I voted for UVA. Debt averse + cold averse + no desire for big law + a place for the dog to run around to me all suggest taking the $$$ at UVA.

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks so much, all! This is mostly what I've been suspecting, but I wanted to be sure that I am not foolishly turning down Harvard or the other schools. I suppose, like everyone else, that I want to be sure that I have the best possible shot at dream jobs as I can while weighing that with debt and quality of life.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Unless Ann Arbor is much better for your SO's career, I'd take the Dillard. Congrats on fantastic choices!

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:07 pm

If anyone thinks there's an argument to be made for a school other than UVA, could you please PM me or post?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Does your SO need to find a job? If so Chicago is defensible if that works better for him/her.

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Yep, he'll have to find a job. His field is tech, so Charlottesville seems to be the most difficult location. It's doable, but probably not as likely that he'll find an awesome gig aligned with his interests.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 pm

To play some devil's advocate:

HLS: (++) tops for fedgov/PI; (++) best geographic flexibility on your list; (+) I'm sure your SO could find a good tech job; (--) solid amount of debt; (-) cold

Chi: (+) good shot at fedgov/PI; (+) decently geographically flexible, but not as good as HLS; (+) good job for your SO; (+) good price for a U of C law degree; (-) cold

UVa (-) not as strong in fedgov/PI as HLS and Chi; (-) not as geographically flexible as the others; (-) tough for your SO to find a job; (+++) no debt; (+) no cold

Mich: not worth considering with these options.

If you're very debt averse, UVa is the way to go. Chicago at 73k is a solid price with great prospects but some debt and cold. HLS is not indefensible here given your goals and desire for geographic flexibility, and while 180k is a hefty debt load, the HLS LRAP might mitigate this to a certain extent. No bad options here, just depends how you value each factor.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Hillz, wouldn't you have money in the bank with the Darrow?

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Hillz, wouldn't you have money in the bank with the Darrow?

Yes, ultimately it should work out that way.

And thanks, quiver, for your thoughtful analysis! Each school does seem to have its pros and cons, though perhaps not all equal in weight, and that is what is making this decision a little difficult.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Chicago sounds the best for your SO, UVA the best for you

How are you calculating SO help into all this if he doesn't even have a job? Is pay uniform across the country? (Srs Q cuz my SO had like 10K a year differences depending on the city. Definitely affected the calculus)

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:09 pm

BigZuck wrote:Chicago sounds the best for your SO, UVA the best for you

How are you calculating SO help into all this if he doesn't even have a job? Is pay uniform across the country? (Srs Q cuz my SO had like 10K a year differences depending on the city. Definitely affected the calculus)

Oh yes, there are definitely big differences depending on the city. I went with the most conservative estimate and used it for all of the schools. It seemed like the safest thing to do, just in case he had to work a less than desirable job in any of the locations.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:12 pm

hillz wrote:

Oh yes, there are definitely big differences depending on the city. I went with the most conservative estimate and used it for all of the schools. It seemed like the safest thing to do, just in case he had to work a less than desirable job in any of the locations.

So Chicago might be even cheaper? And much more likely he gets to do what he wants to do?

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
hillz wrote:

So Chicago might be even cheaper? And much more likely he gets to do what he wants to do?

It seems that Chicago would have more opportunities related to his interests, but for whatever reason, median pay there is pretty low and only a few thousand more than Cville. Median pay in Boston is about 20k more, though COL is also expensive.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 pm

hillz wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Hillz, wouldn't you have money in the bank with the Darrow?

Yes, ultimately it should work out that way.

And thanks, quiver, for your thoughtful analysis! Each school does seem to have its pros and cons, though perhaps not all equal in weight, and that is what is making this decision a little difficult.

Just to add: I'd personally choose Chicago here. I think Chicago, for your goals and with your SO situation, is worth 73k more than UVa. I don't think HLS is worth 107k more than Chicago. Obviously, no debt at UVa is an incredible outcome, and I'm sure many people pay more for HLS than 180k, but my choice would be Chicago here.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:40 pm

UVA or Chicago. That's a conversation you have to have with your SO.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”