(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hellolaw

Postby hellolaw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Last edited by hellolaw on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombie mcavoy

Re: Am I crazy? Tell me I'm crazy.

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:51 pm

are you married to this soon-to-be doctor who will graduate with no debt? If yes I'd be more inclined to say fire away. Still would probably say that you're crazy though. Need more details, either way.

ETA if it's GULC then no fucking way
Last edited by zombie mcavoy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellolaw

Postby hellolaw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:54 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:GULC/GW probably? People on this website aren't going to tell you to go to GULC full COA
Last edited by hellolaw on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellolaw

Postby hellolaw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:are you married to this soon-to-be doctor who will graduate with no debt? If yes I'd be more inclined to say fire away. Still would probably say that you're crazy though. Need more details, either way.

Details such as?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

You're obviously considering GULC vs. GW. Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to repeat the conventional wisdom: you are crazy if you go to GULC at sticker or to GW with only a small scholarship.

I'll hedge just a little because of your PI focus. You should wait for people with actual PI goals and careers to weigh in. In law school, however, I did notice that a sizable percentage of those who started intending to do PI ended up not doing it.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:58 pm

hellolaw wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:are you married to this soon-to-be doctor who will graduate with no debt? If yes I'd be more inclined to say fire away. Still would probably say that you're crazy though. Need more details, either way.

Details such as?

doesn't matter anymore. See:

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Baseline rule is GULC for sticker is a bad idea. You should probably mentally cross everything else out after that first sentence.

GULC at sticker FOR govt/PI is not the worst idea. It has a decent LRAP (though that doesn't matter too much), pretty good institutional support for public interest, dedicated career services for PI, etc. etc. Like, that's all fine and dandy.

But:

1) You're moving after law school (most likely). This seems like the biggest problem with your plan - if she moves to, say, Chicago, and you take a job with some DC PI/govt shop, you're going to be stuck unless you can figure out how to get a job in Chicago. Normally, you would check back against this by gunning for a job in the locale that your SO will be in. But you don't know what locale your SO will be in. At that point, there's a good chance that even if you do get a public interest-y job, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to stay there more than a year or so due to your SO.

2) PSLF may not be around in X years. You take your chances here.

3) There's a solid chance you hate PI/govt work. It helps that you have volunteerism experience and whatnot, but it's significantly different from actual public interest legal work.

4) On the first day of class, you lock yourself into this career path. A lot of things can change; external circumstances and internal interests included. Thirteen years ago, you probably weren't even in high school yet. I dunno about you, but if you'd asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up at that age, I'd go with "super hero."

hellolaw

Postby hellolaw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:40 pm

twenty wrote:Baseline rule is GULC for sticker is a bad idea. You should probably mentally cross everything else out after that first sentence.

GULC at sticker FOR govt/PI is not the worst idea. It has a decent LRAP (though that doesn't matter too much), pretty good institutional support for public interest, dedicated career services for PI, etc. etc. Like, that's all fine and dandy.

But:

1) You're moving after law school (most likely). This seems like the biggest problem with your plan - if she moves to, say, Chicago, and you take a job with some DC PI/govt shop, you're going to be stuck unless you can figure out how to get a job in Chicago. Normally, you would check back against this by gunning for a job in the locale that your SO will be in. But you don't know what locale your SO will be in. At that point, there's a good chance that even if you do get a public interest-y job, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to stay there more than a year or so due to your SO.

2) PSLF may not be around in X years. You take your chances here.

3) There's a solid chance you hate PI/govt work. It helps that you have volunteerism experience and whatnot, but it's significantly different from actual public interest legal work.

4) On the first day of class, you lock yourself into this career path. A lot of things can change; external circumstances and internal interests included. Thirteen years ago, you probably weren't even in high school yet. I dunno about you, but if you'd asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up at that age, I'd go with "super hero."

Thank you so much for your legit response.

Yeah, my biggest hole is location also -- but there is a high chance that she'll have at least an idea of where she's heading in the beginning of M4, so I could gun for jobs in those places. Also, if I got an incredible opportunity here, she could rank DC high. For her, it's pretty much a residency and is equal across locations, so where I'm getting bites will likely be the biggest influence on med rank list.

So stressful.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”