Loyola or Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
adbm29

Loyola or Davis

Postby adbm29 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:48 pm

So I've nailed it down to a choice of two.

Loyola - Full Ride Scholly (2.75 GPA Stip)
UC Davis - 28K Scholly (2.0 GPA Stip)

Was hoping to hear what TLS has to say on the matter. Leaning towards Davis at the moment. No major Big Law aspirations.

EDIT: Looking to work in SoCal or Nor Cal
Last edited by adbm29 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hand

Re: Loyola or Davis

Postby Hand » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

loyola sucks balls so prob davis either way

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:53 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

But by my rough calculations you're looking at >120K in debt at Davis, which is pretty much indefensible for its placement stats. If by Loyola you're talking about Loyola in LA, I would have a hard time seeing the value in going for free: it's a really bad school.

adbm29

Postby adbm29 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:55 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:

But by my rough calculations you're looking at >120K in debt at Davis, which is pretty much indefensible for its placement stats. If by Loyola you're talking about Loyola in LA, I would have a hard time seeing the value in going for free: it's a really bad school.

Loyola in LA*

g-rauf

Postby g-rauf » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:33 pm

I don't know if you have already, but try to negotiate for more money from davis. They ocassionally work with people. But if your only two acceptances are davis and loyala they probably wont, they look to similiarly ranked programs. Otherwise, I'd just wait and retake. Even if you're deadset on working in LA, Loyola can be pretty rough and unpredictable. Is your 28K an actual scholarship or does that include need based aid? Depending on your situation, Davis is pretty good with need based aid. Also, if you finish top 10% after 1L you get and extra 20K no stip. Hope that helps.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:48 pm

Off topic a bit, but I'm curious if your fully scholly from Loyola is the 129k Alumni Scholarship or a true full scholly. Just curious if they've already been handing out fulls this year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”