UGA($) vs Notre Dame ($$)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA or Notre Dame

UGA
25%
Notre Dame
75%

Total votes: 12

liberalartslawyer

UGA($) vs Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 am

Last edited by liberalartslawyer on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

thebobs1987

Re: UGA($) vs Notre Dame ($$)? Leave spouse? Stay Married?

Postby thebobs1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 am

Last edited by thebobs1987 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Last edited by liberalartslawyer on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

metroidbum

Postby metroidbum » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Notre Dame only has a broader national reach in the sense that it can sometimes get you back to where you came from. This is more true for the Midwestern states +CA and NY than other places.

http://law.nd.edu/careers/career-map/

Play around with that for a bit. Notice how the vast majority of people working in Illinois (Chicago) are from Illinois or Indiana. Virtually everyone working in California is from California. Everyone working in Florida is from Florida, etc. Even NY, which is notable for not caring about ties, has primarily taken ND grads already from NY or MA.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 pm

liberalartslawyer wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Cost for either is just tuition. Spouse + savings will be covering living expenses (they have a pretty sweet stipend at both schools).

Chicago vs. Atlanta? Not really sure. The biggest difference between the two is weather, which I suppose Atlanta has on lock. As far as ND being regional, it is my understanding that they do OK in other parts of the North East (NYC?). Also looking beyond the first 5 years of practice, it would seem that a ND is more portable, but maybe not?

I guess what it comes down to for me is the marginally higher cost + inconvenient living situation + minimizing my spouse's career opportunities by going to ND worth it. I'm gunning for Big Law, and while ND doesn't have the best numbers, it's 28% is still 3x higher than UGA's which is my primary reason for having this dilemma.

If you want big law then you need to retake and go to a t14. While it definitely is possible from ND, it is not the likely outcome. What are your LSAT/GPA numbers? If you get median at ND you're looking at a salary around 60k and probably less than that at UGA. As the other poster said, ND has some portability, but not the same as a t14.

r1tlv50

Postby r1tlv50 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:25 pm

liberalartslawyer wrote:I guess what it comes down to for me is the marginally higher cost + inconvenient living situation + minimizing my spouse's career opportunities by going to ND worth it. I'm gunning for Big Law, and while ND doesn't have the best numbers, it's 28% is still 3x higher than UGA's which is my primary reason for having this dilemma.

For the personal reasons it seems like ND would be really tough. The scenario if everything goes right would be a couple years far apart while you're in school, followed by time at a big firm where you'll have limited time to spend together - it just seems like very little time together for 5-6 years. Plus if UGA has meaningful career advantages for your spouse that alone could make it the better choice

Alternatively, of course, retake ED AZ state.

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Last edited by liberalartslawyer on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:40 pm

liberalartslawyer wrote:If you want big law then you need to retake and go to a t14. While it definitely is possible from ND, it is not the likely outcome. What are your LSAT/GPA numbers? If you get median at ND you're looking at a salary around 60k and probably less than that at UGA. As the other poster said, ND has some portability, but not the same as a t14.

Terrible GPA -sub 3.0 - (my mom died in undergrad and it really fucked up my life for awhile) and an ok LSAT 166. I maxed out my tries and do not want to wait three years, plus I am apparently a shitty test taker. I self studied and was scoring 170-173 on all my timed, 5 section practice tests, of which I took about 20 all in all. If I don't make the cut for big law then I will be OK doing the "median" at either school.

If I am unable to pay back loans after a few years because of a shit job they will be taken care of. I would prefer to pay them myself (because pride), but I have a "back-up" plan for paying them off.

As for T14 - am currently "reserved" at Cornell, but am 1) unlikely to get in from here, and 2) The idea of spending 160k on tuition is a little nauseating.[/quote]

Yeah, don't pay sticker. If you're a splitter then I guess it is fine. Did you apply to any other schools that are splitter friendly? UIUC is giving full rides out like crazy right now and has roughly the same big law numbers as ND.

If just between the two, pick the one best for your personal life during law school and then where you want to end up after law school

Edit: Also note that I believe Atlanta is pretty ties sensitive, so if you don't have any ties there besides going to UGA it maybe difficult. I can really only talk about Chicago so someone with Atlanta knowledge can probably say more definitely

adil91

Postby adil91 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Did you apply to WUSTL or Emory?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:12 pm

liberalartslawyer wrote:Edit: Not planning on leaving spouse - just trying to get more feedback with inflammatory title.

Well it worked - only opened this thread because of the title :P

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Last edited by liberalartslawyer on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:18 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
liberalartslawyer wrote:Edit: Not planning on leaving spouse - just trying to get more feedback with inflammatory title.

Well it worked - only opened this thread because of the title :P

Haha, sorry for the troll-ish title. Glad it worked though :lol:

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:19 pm

metroidbum wrote:Notre Dame only has a broader national reach in the sense that it can sometimes get you back to where you came from. This is more true for the Midwestern states +CA and NY than other places.

http://law.nd.edu/careers/career-map/

Play around with that for a bit. Notice how the vast majority of people working in Illinois (Chicago) are from Illinois or Indiana. Virtually everyone working in California is from California. Everyone working in Florida is from Florida, etc. Even NY, which is notable for not caring about ties, has primarily taken ND grads already from NY or MA.

Thanks for the info - will def. check it out.

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Last edited by liberalartslawyer on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Assuming your spouse will then be trying to go into academia, I think you need to go to a national school (T14) so that you have more geographic flexibility depending on where your spouse ends up after the phd.

ETA: so I'd sit out/retake

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”