T14 Quality of Life 2015 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Platinum

Re: T14 Quality of Life 2015

Post by 071816 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Morningside Heights isn't dangerous.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:Hahaha, someone got pwned by Penn. OP, you can't know what QOL is for any school other than your own, and even that's subjective. But just for fun.

Just no with your rankings. UVA is a fine school, but Charlottesville (though pretty) can get boring because of its very small size, plus the fratty social environment is definitely not for everyone. Michigan has a great student culture and looks like Hogwarts, too bad it's located in an arctic hellscape. I'd have the top 5 more like...

1.) Yale (no grades first semester and then no curve at all afterwards really dominates in quality of life). Most beautiful school by far. Also, New Haven is not bad at all and the food is the best.
2.) Stanford (Fantastic weather, chill West coast culture, and the best T14 football team by far. However, they do have first semester grades and Palo Alto is crazy expensive)
3.) Berkeley (same as Stanford up above, but more overall stress due to less jobs to go around)
4.) Harvard (it is a big class, but that lets it have more things to do. Plus the class doesn't hold you back in jobs. Cambridge and Boston is also awesome.)
5.) Northwestern (Chicago is amazing and Northwestern gets the better side of Chicago than UC. There you get to avoid Bad Leroy Brown.)

Duke, Penn, Michigan, UVA, NYU, and Chicago would make up the middle in some fashion.

12.) Columbia (Manhattan is incredibly expensive and many students have said it can be dangerous if you're not careful. Riverside Park is nice but they say not to go there at night. Up above 125th street can be rough as well. Finally, everyone knows how dangerous Morningside Park can be.)
13.) Cornell (Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do and it's known for being very competitive)
14.) GULC (I love DC, but the absolutely enormous student body and large class of transfers combined with the poorest employment scores would make it a very stressful environment.)
no
Weren't you aware of how New Haven is better than Greenwich Village?

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:58 pm

"Bad Leroy Brown" might catch your ass in Streeterville too boss. It's still the city up there.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:23 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:if you like large cities, then NYU/CLS would top the list followed by Chicago/Northwestern. If you like college towns and strongly dislike cities, then UVA, Michigan and maybe Duke at top, with the metropolitan schools near the bottom. Berkeley and Stanford would probably be #3 and 4 on any list. New england is meh all around, so the new england schools & ithaca would be middling at best. The rest would fall along those lines.
Bagel, your blindly pro-Columbia schtick is getting really old. You're proud of your alma mater. We get it. I'm from a incredibly poor area that's riddled in crime, and I'd agree the area around Columbia is questionable at best. New Haven just "isn't that bad", it's great. I would have NYU higher than Axe or the OP, but Columbia is shitty on so many levels. I believe any google would prove the two parks are rough at the best of times. Riverside has the highest crime of any public park in the northeast. I get the whole "Friends of Morningside" has tried to rehab that park, and it might be safer now, but even now the school warns women from walking through it. Columbia was also rated as one of the 20 most dangerous campuses in America. Scott, you can't exactly talk, since anywhere except Detroit has less crime and feels more safe than St. Louis.

I'd have Yale come in at around #4 since I really prefer the California style of life and would have NYU at 3. But Columbia should be even lower than 12.
Lol at new haven. Stockholm syndrome

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 pm

really it doesnt matter, for a million reasons. but palo alto is fucking paradise, and anyone who wouldnt put it at the top of their list is either a liar or retarded

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:if you like large cities, then NYU/CLS would top the list followed by Chicago/Northwestern. If you like college towns and strongly dislike cities, then UVA, Michigan and maybe Duke at top, with the metropolitan schools near the bottom. Berkeley and Stanford would probably be #3 and 4 on any list. New england is meh all around, so the new england schools & ithaca would be middling at best. The rest would fall along those lines.
Bagel, your blindly pro-Columbia schtick is getting really old. You're proud of your alma mater. We get it. I'm from a incredibly poor area that's riddled in crime, and I'd agree the area around Columbia is questionable at best. New Haven just "isn't that bad", it's great. I would have NYU higher than Axe or the OP, but Columbia is shitty on so many levels. I believe any google would prove the two parks are rough at the best of times. Riverside has the highest crime of any public park in the northeast. I get the whole "Friends of Morningside" has tried to rehab that park, and it might be safer now, but even now the school warns women from walking through it. Columbia was also rated as one of the 20 most dangerous campuses in America. Scott, you can't exactly talk, since anywhere except Detroit has less crime and feels more safe than St. Louis.

I'd have Yale come in at around #4 since I really prefer the California style of life and would have NYU at 3. But Columbia should be even lower than 12.
Lol at new haven. Stockholm syndrome
Also lol at me being called out for saying all city parks should be avoided at night.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Totally uninformed Top 5 (in no particular order):

Yale - no grades 1st semester, feeling of satisfaction w/self, lots of academic coddling, nice looking school
NYU - awesome location, laid back vibe
UT Austin - awesome location, warm, educated texas people seem to pretty fun to be around
Berkeley - great weather, lots of hippies
Stanford - no grades, great weather

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:14.) GULC (I love DC, but the absolutely enormous student body and large class of transfers combined with the poorest employment scores would make it a very stressful environment.)
Just wanted to point out that, at least as a 1L, I've found the large class size makes it less stressful in of itself. I'm pretty sure because the class sizes are so huge that we are not competitive amongst our selves at all. There are plenty of reasons to hate the large class size (which I personally do), and the employment figures definitely makes it stressful, but saying the large class size makes it more stressful is dumb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:07 pm

2014 wrote:"New Haven is not bad at all" sure sounds like a quality I want in my #1 QOL school
New Haven has a good amount of restaurants (if you like Thai, Indian, or hipster, it's great) for its size. Otherwise, imma be real, it's pretty terrible (I believe "armpit" is how I most often describe it), and you do have legit safety concerns. Anywhere you actually want to go in Connecticut--or really anywhere that isn't NYC, or Boston I suppose--you need to have a car for. For a few years there was no grocery store, although that's changed now.

Oh, and a large portion of the locals despise you for being a rich yuppie.

ETA: I forgot the pizza! New Haven pizza's fantastic.

gtown1212

New

Post by gtown1212 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 pm

New Haven is one of the shittiest towns in the world

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:00 pm

chimp wrote:Morningside Heights isn't dangerous.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:07 pm

ballcaps wrote:
chimp wrote:Morningside Heights isn't dangerous.
This. And let's not forget that CLS is just a 15-minute walk from Central Park.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:48 pm

If you want safety and restaurants, come to Cambridge. The police wear blazers. If you don't have a car, it's like Boston doesn't even exist.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:53 pm

pamphleteer wrote:UVA is a great school but having to spend three years of your life in Bumfuck, Virginia seems like the worst thing about it (although I guess that keeps COL down).
TITCR. This is why I'm studying abroad next year

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:54 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:If you want safety and restaurants, come to Cambridge. The police wear blazers. If you don't have a car, it's like Boston doesn't even exist.
the weather though

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:53 pm

These rankings done by people who have clearly never lived in suburbia hell are really enjoyable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 pm

xael wrote:These rankings done by people who have clearly never lived in suburbia hell are really enjoyable.
I've been waiting for you to comment :lol:

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
xael wrote:These rankings done by people who have clearly never lived in suburbia hell are really enjoyable.
I've been waiting for you to comment :lol:
BUT THE WEATHER IT'S SO GREAT

amw342

New

Post by amw342 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:11 am

I witnessed a shootout outside of a McDonalds on Penn's Campus.

Granted it was 3:00am on a Saturday night.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:18 am

amw342 wrote:I witnessed a shootout outside of a McDonalds on Penn's Campus.

Granted it was 3:00am on a Saturday night.
West Philadelphia born and raised and all that, u kno.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 am

The quality of life at any school far far exceeds the quality of life you'll have when you graduate. :|

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 am

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:18 am

No GULC love? What's not to love about a highly overpriced city with a bedtime, with a school smack dab in an 'up-and-coming' (read: boring/constantly under construction/run-down) neighborhood? Especially one with fantastic opportunities including, but not limited to:

- crazy traffic pretty much all the time
- angry drivers, angry pedestrians, AND angry cyclists - all fighting over too-narrow roads!
- a jam-packed Metro system that is just this side of breaking down completely (they seriously initiate PR advertising campaigns that amount to: 'seriously, we're trying guys.")
- tons of self-important stuffed shirts from this-or-that agency, getting coffee for this-or-that senator, or the ubiquitous 'consultants'
- sports teams that could probably perform better if they all just switched around which sports they were playing (I do like DC United, though, so props there, I guess?). Also, football name racism! Woo!
- taxes! So many taxes!
- Jury duty! Muchly jury duty!
- ham-handed gentrification! Got a favorite bar? Let's destroy it and slap a stadium on it! Somewhat affordable neighborhood apartments? Let's replace 'em with million-dollar condos!

In all fairness, I've been here for 11+ years and like DC, I'll just be damned if I know why. GULC is a fine enough school (not saying it's better than any other t14, guys, relax) - but I can't advocate coming here for the 'quality of life'.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 am

Let me just put this one to rest guys - got the comprehensive lowdown that, I think, manages to offend everyone while getting not one single fact correct. I AM TLS MADE FLESH.

Yale - Who would even go here. You have to deal with choosing federal clerkships, presitigious firm gigs, opportunities to actually change the world, academia, or just living off your trust fund. Who needs that stress? You won't be able to see the actual climate/living conditions beyond the haze of your lofty liberal ideas.

Harvard - Boston is essentially Antarctica invaded by angry Irishmen. Pass.

Stanford - It's amazing how safe and pretty you can make a town when you outlaw poor people or just hide them really well. Fantastic opportunities in the tech sector - make sure to study up on the 'law of shiny flashy bleep bloops,' kids!

Columbia - Fact: New York has a 100% per-capita murder rate. Everywhere. Columbia is the most prestigious university in New York at which to get decapitated and have your corpse violated. Also the city smells like dead prostitute in the summer.

Chicago - When it isn't cold and windy, it's inexplicably still Chicago. The buildings are too tall and their pizza is all wrong. It's not a contest to see how much sauce and cheese you can reasonably contain with crust, guys! You are not impressing anyone.

NYU - Still NYC AND you have to deal with those conservative self-important CLS jerks.

Penn - Killadelphia somehow has an even higher murder rate than NYC (they have to import victims at impressive levels), but the town smells like cheesesteaks and other fried things. This pretty much balances out. Also who even parks in the middle of the road on the divider,

Duke - The South! Genteel institutional racism and mint juleps, y'all! So humid and sitting just above a fully-loaded straight-up crazy South Carolina. No thanks.

UVA - Beautiful countryside scenery. But until you can distill picturesque landscapes into potent alcohol or something resembling a nightlife, count me out.

Berkeley - What doesn't smell like pot, smells instead like old patchouli. Best place to play my favorite guessing game: 'crazy, homeless, artist, or combination of the above?'

Michigan - Ann Arbor: I visited there once in July and it was too hot. Also got lost in UMich's library for a while. 0 out of 10 for man-eating libraries.

Northwestern - Still Chicago, see above. Also, there are many places that are more north and more west than you. Nice try.

Cornell - Ithaca is GORGES. Get it? Our best offerings are holes in the ground and our ability to make puns. Also, there is so much snow - you will at some point have to dig yourself out of your apartment using a perished roommate's femur.

GULC - See my above post: I think it's pretty clear that Georgetown is the best, except for all the reasons that is wildly untrue. DC - we elected a crack-smoking mayor/councilmember over and over again yet we claim we deserve some kind of voice in how we run our city.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”