TLS Advice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rokiv

TLS Advice

Postby rokiv » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:56 pm

Looking for some help deciding between my options. Currently have a 3.45/166. I recently started studying for a retake (my third time) in June and I am currently PTing around 170, hoping I can get that higher. I did not prep effectively for the test before, I know I'm a dumbass.

I am 1 year out of undergrad, so not by any means afraid to sit out another year but would like to start LS as soon as possible.

Goals are not ridiculously ambitious. I am definitely interested in big law (Chicago, NYC, DC) and bigfed. However, I would be fine ending up in a regional mid law fir or DA in my home state. Also have some experience working as a hill staffer and intern so would be interested in returning as a LA.

I am from AZ and will be financing primarily through student loans.

Options:

ND ($$$)- total COA (all 3 years) would be 100-125k
GWU($$)- total COA 160-190k
ASU($$$$)- total COA <40k

Also on the priority waitlist at GULC and reserve at Cornell. Extremely interested in both, but would probably be at close to sticker.

Thanks for any help/insight

Tiago Splitter

Re: TLS Advice

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:05 pm

rokiv wrote:Goals are not ridiculously ambitious. I am definitely interested in big law (Chicago, NYC, DC) and bigfed. However, I would be fine ending up in a regional mid law fir or DA in my home state.

If you were, you wouldn't be interested in big law. So let's correctly assume you'll be shooting for big law, and at the very least disappointed with other outcomes.

I lived in AZ before I went to law school. I had almost identical stats (3.49/166). I wanted biglaw, and thought I could go to a school like the ones you're in at, study super hard and finish at the top of the class. Eventually I realized that's not how this works. I retook for T-14 and things worked out.

What makes this even better for you is that it's now been four years since I first applied, and application numbers have cratered. These days, just pairing a 170 LSAT with your GPA means fairly significant scholarships in the T-14. So definitely gun that LSAT hard and you'll be in much better shape next year, graduating from a class of 2019 made up of maybe 30,000 graduates, compared to the peak class of 2013 that put out 48,000. The best part is that all of your current options will be on the table next cycle, but probably even cheaper than they are now.

For now, the only defensible option is ASU, but it makes no sense for your goals. The vast majority of its grads are either unemployed, employed by the school, employed in non-legal work, or working for small firms of just a few attorneys.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:06 pm

rokiv wrote:Looking for some help deciding between my options. Currently have a 3.45/166. I recently started studying for a retake (my third time) in June and I am currently PTing around 170, hoping I can get that higher. I did not prep effectively for the test before, I know I'm a dumbass.

I am 1 year out of undergrad, so not by any means afraid to sit out another year but would like to start LS as soon as possible.

Goals are not ridiculously ambitious. I am definitely interested in big law (Chicago, NYC, DC) and bigfed. However, I would be fine ending up in a regional mid law fir or DA in my home state. Also have some experience working as a hill staffer and intern so would be interested in returning as a LA.

I am from AZ and will be financing primarily through student loans.

Options:

ND ($$$)- total COA (all 3 years) would be 100-125k
GWU($$)- total COA 160-190k
ASU($$$$)- total COA <40k

Also on the priority waitlist at GULC and reserve at Cornell. Extremely interested in both, but would probably be at close to sticker.

Thanks for any help/insight

ASU is the only school that is worth the cost. ND at that number is just a little higher than I personally would go, but I am very debt-averse. No way in hell for GW at that price. But that doesn't matter since your goals don't match up to any of these schools. Take a year off, retake and get in the 170s and go to a t14 to match up with your goals

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:16 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:Take a year off, retake and get in the 170s and go to a t14 to match up with your goals

The WE & higher LSAT will only behoove you, just make sure you don't have a resume gap between now and law school.

rokiv

Postby rokiv » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Just out of curiousity, what would be an acceptable COA/debt-load at ND?

But I am definitely retaking, have been studying for a month 2-3 hours a day and paid the registration fee.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:36 pm

rokiv wrote:Just out of curiousity, what would be an acceptable COA/debt-load at ND?

But I am definitely retaking, have been studying for a month 2-3 hours a day and paid the registration fee.

I would get Notre Dame out of your head. Focus on the retake and next cycle.

rokiv

Postby rokiv » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:04 pm

I would get Notre Dame out of your head. Focus on the retake and next cycle.[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the response. I know you guys hear this all the time, but I'm definitely a little frustrated about having to sit out. Oh well, more reason to crush the LSAT. Any advice for applying next cycle?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Use the resources on TLS, crush the LSAT, and apply broadly and early.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm

There's something stomach-churning about the COA of GW even with $$ to still be 190k.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 pm

rokiv wrote:Alright, thanks for the response. I know you guys hear this all the time, but I'm definitely a little frustrated about having to sit out. Oh well, more reason to crush the LSAT. Any advice for applying next cycle?

I also sat out a year. Had to spend one extra summer in Phoenix haha. But while I was disappointed at first, that year was actually really nice because I had something to look forward to. So get the LSAT up, apply early and broadly, and enjoy this year while you plan out the next several.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”