Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
float55

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby float55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:19 am

star fox wrote: Did you apply to Cornell btw?

I did, but now that I've got $75K from Penn, I really don't expect Cornell to be much of a contender, mainly because of the difference between Philly and Ithaca, but also because of their rankings and the range of job options the schools give their grads. Though I guess Cornell would be back in the game if they gave me a (near) full ride. Why do you ask?

NutellaDipity

Postby NutellaDipity » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:please tell me you're a gamergater lmao

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:42 am

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

float55

Postby float55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am

Aeon wrote:So long as you aren't too quarrelsome, you'll be fine.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think this thread is proof that being respectful won't ensure that I'll be fine at all. Unless saying that you're "very critical" of certain ideologies is inherently nasty (which it isn't), I don't think the barrage of shockingly obnoxious barbs that I've received can be attributed to any lack of civility on my part.

This is what I'm worried about. There are people who have been so sheltered from any kind of criticism, of, say, feminism and environmentalism, that they can only react to it by classifying it as the same kind of ignorant, bigoted drivel that they watch John Stewart, Bill Maher, and John Oliver mock almost every night of the week. It's incredibly frustrating and alienating, and it could have real consequences for my success, in every sense, in law school.

It's not about trying to avoid liberal ideas. It's about seeking out a mature, intellectually curious community that I can actually participate in.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:48 am

liberty is supposed to be pretty good for that

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:51 am

float55 wrote:

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think this thread is proof that being respectful won't ensure that I'll be fine at all. Unless saying that you're "very critical" of certain ideologies is inherently nasty (which it isn't), I don't think the barrage of shockingly obnoxious barbs that I've received can be attributed to any lack of civility on my part.

This is what I'm worried about. There are people who have been so sheltered from any kind of criticism, of, say, feminism and environmentalism, that they can only react to it by classifying it as the same kind of ignorant, bigoted drivel that they watch John Stewart, Bill Maher, and John Oliver mock almost every night of the week. It's incredibly frustrating and alienating, and it could have real consequences for my success, in every sense, in law school.

It's not about trying to avoid liberal ideas. It's about seeking out a mature, intellectually curious community that I can actually participate in.

The T14 recruit generally from the same applicant pool. While there are differences among the schools, the intellectual communities won't differ that much to sway your decision. And re the bolded: I'd expect you to feel frustrated and alienated beyond law school, and you should get used to it and suck it up.
Last edited by chuckbass on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 am

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 am

float55 wrote:
star fox wrote: Did you apply to Cornell btw?

I did, but now that I've got $75K from Penn, I really don't expect Cornell to be much of a contender, mainly because of the difference between Philly and Ithaca, but also because of their rankings and the range of job options the schools give their grads. Though I guess Cornell would be back in the game if they gave me a (near) full ride. Why do you ask?

Probably because rankings are meaningless, you said you wanted NYC biglaw, the biglaw numbers are almost identical, Cornell actually places more students in NYC than Penn, Cornell is likely to be cheaper, and, to top it off, Ithaca is probably more "car-friendly."

Is it more "tolerant" of various political views than Penn? I've never been to Penn, so idk. But I get along fine with people with diametrically opposing views.

If you prefer Philly to Ithaca, then you just have to decide how much that preference is worth to you.

~ Cornell student

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am

Some advice: If you are turning people off on you because of your politics, than you are doing something wrong. I've known both hardcore liberals and conservatives and it only starts affecting their social relationships when the behavior becomes really bad. Whatever you are doing, stop doing it. When you feel yourself rationalizing your behavior or saying to yourself "those people should just suck it up" stop thinking that. It will make for a much smoother career.

Unfortunately, you've picked a professional community that happens to lean progressive/liberal even in biglaw, so yes, there will be a double standard. Argue on the interwebz about politics to your heart's content, but keep it out of your professional life until you become well-established. Start training yourself now.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:44 am

lol @ "very critical of feminism"

fyi you are rich. not owning that privilege is your problem

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:49 am

jbagelboy wrote:lol @ "very critical of feminism"

fyi you are rich. not owning that privilege is your problem

I think people have a hard time with the distinction between being rich and not having to worry about money.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 am

flame

float55

Postby float55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Lavitz wrote:rankings are meaningless

So, this connects with the rest of this thread in a really interesting way. I actually share your dismissive attitude toward the rankings, and of course I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the "quality" of the average Penn and Cornell student. But, the thing is, because I tend to take controversial positions on some hot-button issues, I need to worry about people using the lowest, dirtiest tricks in the book to discredit me. If you noticed, somebody actually told me that I couldn't be a good public intellectual because I scored only a 169 on the LSAT. Prestige matters when people are incessantly scrounging for cheap shots to justify dismissing your ideas. If I were dealing with mature, honest, fair-minded people, that wouldn't be an issue. But, clearly, I'm not.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Not picking up on sarcasm also contributes to your problems I bet.

float55

Postby float55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 pm

timbs4339 wrote:If you are turning people off on you because of your politics, than you are doing something wrong.

Have you read this thread? What have I done wrong?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:09 pm

float55 wrote:

John Oliver and Bill Maher are only on once a week. Please check your sources.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:14 pm

float55 wrote:

Please explain your criticisms of feminism

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 pm

float55 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:rankings are meaningless

So, this connects with the rest of this thread in a really interesting way. I actually share your dismissive attitude toward the rankings, and of course I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the "quality" of the average Penn and Cornell student. But, the thing is, because I tend to take controversial positions on some hot-button issues, I need to worry about people using the lowest, dirtiest tricks in the book to discredit me. If you noticed, somebody actually told me that I couldn't be a good public intellectual because I scored only a 169 on the LSAT. Prestige matters when people are incessantly scrounging for cheap shots to justify dismissing your ideas. If I were dealing with mature, honest, fair-minded people, that wouldn't be an issue. But, clearly, I'm not.

I heard the shitlibs of NYU dirty tricks are in fact, the dirtiest.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:24 pm

float55 wrote:

The thing is that it was pretty clear by the assumptions embedded in your posts that you're a bona fide douchebag.

Nobody is going to dislike you for your views. Your problems are probably coming from presenting yourself as an asshole.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:42 pm

universityof wrote:
banjo wrote:Go wherever you get the most money.

You can't just ignore things like feminism when you make a decision like this

float55

Postby float55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
float55 wrote:

John Oliver and Bill Maher are only on once a week. Please check your sources.

You're right -- I should have said John Stewart, Bill Maher, *or* John Oliver. Thank you.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:10 pm

float55 wrote:I appreciate what you're saying, but I think this thread is proof that being respectful won't ensure that I'll be fine at all. Unless saying that you're "very critical" of certain ideologies is inherently nasty (which it isn't), I don't think the barrage of shockingly obnoxious barbs that I've received can be attributed to any lack of civility on my part.

ITT: Heavily privileged dude pretends like he's the victim.

LOL @ a family that can lend one of its children $50k/year "not rich."

I doubt 95% of the families in this country could do that.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:14 pm

JCougar wrote:
float55 wrote:I appreciate what you're saying, but I think this thread is proof that being respectful won't ensure that I'll be fine at all. Unless saying that you're "very critical" of certain ideologies is inherently nasty (which it isn't), I don't think the barrage of shockingly obnoxious barbs that I've received can be attributed to any lack of civility on my part.

ITT: Heavily privileged dude pretends like he's the victim.

LOL @ a family that can lend one of its children $50k/year "not rich."

I doubt 95% of the families in this country could do that.

Probably even less if we're talking cash.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:16 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Probably even less if we're talking cash.

Definitely less.

But, OMG, this guy's law school experience could be ruined by environmentalists!

This is so obnoxious, it has to be a troll.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:25 pm

What about UVA? It's probably the most conservative t14

Return to “Choosing a Law School”