Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
hdunlop wrote:And yet people don't call stuff gay here much. I guess the clinically retarded are significantly less likely to post on top law schools dot com so there's no posters to be like "dude don't say that," but I'm old enough to remember this exact same defense being used all the time to defend calling stuff gay. I'm not particularly PC-oriented and it's not a big deal but it's surprising is all.

Homophobic slurs are against the rules here, so people get banned for calling things gay and don't use it as a slur. Retard(ed) isn't on the bannable list, so people use it. I personally disagree with that and don't use it, but I can't unilaterally change the policy here (especially when some of the other mods are frequent users of the term). Basically there's consensus about homophobia but not about ableism.

Also bjsesq is a republican, so its all good in the white hood

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:01 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
hdunlop wrote:And yet people don't call stuff gay here much. I guess the clinically retarded are significantly less likely to post on top law schools dot com so there's no posters to be like "dude don't say that," but I'm old enough to remember this exact same defense being used all the time to defend calling stuff gay. I'm not particularly PC-oriented and it's not a big deal but it's surprising is all.

Homophobic slurs are against the rules here, so people get banned for calling things gay and don't use it as a slur. Retard(ed) isn't on the bannable list, so people use it. I personally disagree with that and don't use it, but I can't unilaterally change the policy here (especially when some of the other mods are frequent users of the term). Basically there's consensus about homophobia but not about ableism.

Also bjsesq is a republican, so its all good in the white hood

You bet your sweet ass it is.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:42 pm

The rule difference makes sense. I think it speaks to my point as well -- it's been less than a decade since folks would try to distinguish calling something gay and using a homophobic slur. As 'retard' gets purged from the public vernacular, it's jarring to see it used here. I don't know what this says about me but I probably hear stories about shit being rubbed on walls (not by the people doing the rubbing so much as the people who see, or have to clean, the aftermath) as often in real life as I hear retarded.

Anyway this is all a derail. Let's tie this back to the topic at hand by saying there's probably very few places where OP can intellectually rub shit on walls and not take some heat for it but if OP drops the attention-grabbing strawmen he'll be just fine wherever.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:35 pm

float55 wrote:
star fox wrote: Did you apply to Cornell btw?

I did, but now that I've got $75K from Penn, I really don't expect Cornell to be much of a contender, mainly because of the difference between Philly and Ithaca, but also because of their rankings and the range of job options the schools give their grads. Though I guess Cornell would be back in the game if they gave me a (near) full ride. Why do you ask?

So you're "only" going to owe what, 220k in loans?

How about don't go to law school unless your family has money and can pay for you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
float55 wrote:

I did, but now that I've got $75K from Penn, I really don't expect Cornell to be much of a contender, mainly because of the difference between Philly and Ithaca, but also because of their rankings and the range of job options the schools give their grads. Though I guess Cornell would be back in the game if they gave me a (near) full ride. Why do you ask?

How about don't go to law school unless your family has money and can pay for you.

i'm sensing a schtick.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:
float55 wrote:

i'm sensing a schtick.

Not a schtick - just a disgruntled biglaw attorney.

Are you practicing? If you aren't, then you just don't get it and I don't expect you to.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Literally my reaction to this entire thread

Return to “Choosing a Law School”