Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 pm

float55 wrote:
middlebear wrote:
float55 wrote:
float55 wrote:My long-term hope is to focus on defending civil liberties as a practicing attorney, and ideally as a public intellectual as well.


Some people are pretending that this sentence proves I'm some kind of egomaniac who needs to be taken down a peg. Yes, the term "public intellectual" has a pretentious ring to it, but I tried to mitigate that by saying I "hope" to "ideally" become a public intellectual, thus acknowledging that it's a difficult status to achieve, and that it might not be in the cards for me. I could have said "I'd love to someday advocate for civil liberties in the public media."


OK, so this is coming from a "trying to help you so you know what you sound like" place, honestly not trying to be mean: in my honest opinion, that is the sort of thing you don't cop to.


Thank you -- I absolutely see your point, and I wouldn't say what I said about the whole public intellectual thing to my peers upon meeting them, since, yeah, it could sound obnoxious. But I hope that you'd agree that people on this thread are getting on my case about it mainly because they passed judgment on me over political stuff, and now they're looking for ways to attack me. And, so, this is what I'm worried about in law school: being maliciously scrutinized by self-righteous zealots who just can't wait for an excuse to attack my character. I'm hoping to find a mature, respectful community that gives people the benefit of the doubt when they say something iffy. But I guess that's even more naïve than trying to be the next Chomsky!


Your martyr shtick is tired as fuck, dude. I'm a republican and get along pretty well with people here and did so in law school too. Perhaps you're just a social dumpster fire.

User avatar
bretby
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby bretby » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Nathanael wrote:
float55 wrote:
Aeon wrote:So long as you aren't too quarrelsome, you'll be fine.


I appreciate what you're saying, but I think this thread is proof that being respectful won't ensure that I'll be fine at all. Unless saying that you're "very critical" of certain ideologies is inherently nasty (which it isn't), I don't think the barrage of shockingly obnoxious barbs that I've received can be attributed to any lack of civility on my part.

This is what I'm worried about. There are people who have been so sheltered from any kind of criticism, of, say, feminism and environmentalism, that they can only react to it by classifying it as the same kind of ignorant, bigoted drivel that they watch John Stewart, Bill Maher, and John Oliver mock almost every night of the week. It's incredibly frustrating and alienating, and it could have real consequences for my success, in every sense, in law school.

It's not about trying to avoid liberal ideas. It's about seeking out a mature, intellectually curious community that I can actually participate in.


Please explain your criticisms of feminism


Yes please do! I have my popcorn ready.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:14 pm

bjsesq wrote:Perhaps you're just a social dumpster fire.

User avatar
middlebear
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby middlebear » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:26 pm

float55 wrote:Thank you -- I absolutely see your point, and I wouldn't say what I said about the whole public intellectual thing to my peers upon meeting them, since, yeah, it could sound obnoxious. But I hope that you'd agree that people on this thread are getting on my case about it mainly because they passed judgment on me over political stuff, and now they're looking for ways to attack me. And, so, this is what I'm worried about in law school: being maliciously scrutinized by self-righteous zealots who just can't wait for an excuse to attack my character. I'm hoping to find a mature, respectful community that gives people the benefit of the doubt when they say something iffy. But I guess that's even more naïve than trying to be the next Chomsky!


I definitely think it's migrated away from the point, we're not here to discuss politics other than their effect on law school experience. I would just say that being respectful's a two-way street, both to you and everyone else here (phrases like "maliciously scrutinized by self righteous zealots" or the sort of political victim narrative--perhaps not your fault, but because so many conservative outlets constantly wave that flag, it just sounds like a knee jerk and immediately provokes an eye roll and dismissal. And calling people "self righteous zealots" isn't respectful). I would still be concerned that, if you felt you were isolated in UG, there might have been... communication problems, more than ideological clashes. I went to a very liberal UG, and we still had active 'right wing' parties that participated fully in on-campus political life and weren't socially ostracized.

Like others have said here, we're all older and hopefully a bit more mature when we go into law school; we're grown ups that (mostly) know how to play nice, so I do think you'll have a better experience.

If you're still worried about NYU - maybe reach out to the FedSoc or other groups to ask about their experience? But like others have said on here, follow the money, and if they end up being about the same, you'll have great employment outcomes from either school, so go to the one you like best. I still think NYU could be a good option, if civil liberties advocacy is as PI as it sounds.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby Nebby » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:12 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:OP, what is your critique of feminism?


And, because I'm curious, environmentalism.

User avatar
DELG
Posts: 2936
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby DELG » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:00 pm

bjsesq wrote:Your martyr shtick is tired as fuck, dude. I'm a republican and get along pretty well with people here and did so in law school too. Perhaps you're just a social dumpster fire.

There were lots of not at all liberal and maybe downright racist people who went to school with us that kept it together well enough to get along. Then again there are the Schmravises of the world who couldn't get along with anyone.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 pm

DELG wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Your martyr shtick is tired as fuck, dude. I'm a republican and get along pretty well with people here and did so in law school too. Perhaps you're just a social dumpster fire.

There were lots of not at all liberal and maybe downright racist people who went to school with us that kept it together well enough to get along. Then again there are the Schmravises of the world who couldn't get along with anyone.

OP, take fucking notes.

float55
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby float55 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:
(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)


I would also like to know what the logic is here. Enlighten us, OP.


As everyone can tell, I don't want to get into this. But I'm willing to clarify -- though I'm surprised I *need* to clarify -- that my beef with feminism is not over the issue of "gender equality." There's a reason why only 20% of Americans identify as feminists even though 82% agree that "men and women should be social, political, and economic equals". Think about "The Patriarchy," "rape culture," "male privilege," "77 cents on the dollar," "Know Your IX," and "#YesAllWomen" to get a sense of how much more there is to feminism than the idea that women deserve equal rights, respect, and opportunities as men, which *of course* I believe. I'm also not completely denying the validity of all of the other things I just mentioned. But I just want to illustrate how the rhetoric and mission of feminism go far beyond the uncontroversial notion of equality.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll also mention that, for my first two years in college, I had a concentration in Gender Studies and was an active member of a feminist student group, so it's hard to argue that I'm ignorant of what feminist *really* is. I was steeped in it for years.
Last edited by float55 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ticklemesilly
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby ticklemesilly » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:46 pm

float55 wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)


I would also like to know what the logic is here. Enlighten us, OP.


As everyone can tell, I don't want to get into this. But I'm willing to clarify -- though I'm surprised I *need* to clarify -- that my beef with feminism is not over the issue of "gender equality." There's a reason why only 20% of Americans identify as feminists even though 82% agree that "men and women should be social, political, and economic equals". Think about "The Patriarchy," "rape culture," "male privilege," "77 cents on the dollar," "Know Your IX," and "#YesAllWomen" to get a sense of how much more there is to feminism than the idea that women deserve equal rights, respect, and opportunities as men, which *of course* I believe. I'm also not completely denying the validity of all of the other things I just mentioned. But I just want to illustrate how the rhetoric and mission of feminism goes far beyond the uncontroversial notion of equality.


Merriam-Webster definition:
noun fem·i·nism \ˈfe-mə-ˌni-zəm\
: the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:52 pm

float55 wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)


I would also like to know what the logic is here. Enlighten us, OP.


As everyone can tell, I don't want to get into this. But I'm willing to clarify -- though I'm surprised I *need* to clarify -- that my beef with feminism is not over the issue of "gender equality." There's a reason why only 20% of Americans identify as feminists even though 82% agree that "men and women should be social, political, and economic equals". Think about "The Patriarchy," "rape culture," "male privilege," "77 cents on the dollar," "Know Your IX," and "#YesAllWomen" to get a sense of how much more there is to feminism than the idea that women deserve equal rights, respect, and opportunities as men, which *of course* I believe. I'm also not completely denying the validity of all of the other things I just mentioned. But I just want to illustrate how the rhetoric and mission of feminism go far beyond the uncontroversial notion of equality.

That's radfem tumblr bullshit, and a significant portion of this site mocks it on a regular basis, with me being one of the biggest bashers. That bullshit is not THE representative of feminism, dude.

float55
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby float55 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:Merriam-Webster definition:
noun fem·i·nism \ˈfe-mə-ˌni-zəm\
: the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities


The dictionary is great for words like "circumlocution" and "pelf." It's not so great for ideological labels, and something tells me you already know that.

User avatar
DELG
Posts: 2936
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby DELG » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:59 pm

float55 wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)


I would also like to know what the logic is here. Enlighten us, OP.


As everyone can tell, I don't want to get into this. But I'm willing to clarify -- though I'm surprised I *need* to clarify -- that my beef with feminism is not over the issue of "gender equality." There's a reason why only 20% of Americans identify as feminists even though 82% agree that "men and women should be social, political, and economic equals". Think about "The Patriarchy," "rape culture," "male privilege," "77 cents on the dollar," "Know Your IX," and "#YesAllWomen" to get a sense of how much more there is to feminism than the idea that women deserve equal rights, respect, and opportunities as men, which *of course* I believe. I'm also not completely denying the validity of all of the other things I just mentioned. But I just want to illustrate how the rhetoric and mission of feminism go far beyond the uncontroversial notion of equality.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll also mention that, for my first two years in college, I had a concentration in Gender Studies and was an active member of a feminist student group, so it's hard to argue that I'm ignorant of what feminist *really* is. I was steeped in it for years.

Yeah I was gonna say, not completely denying the validity of male privilege and rape culture but also thinking some claims are worthy of skepticism sounds like someone bickering within the feminist movement rather than criticizing it from outside it.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Dude your use of asterisks is abhorrent. if you're going to be a public intellectual you'll need to learn to write more better. Caps lock isn't a good way to get your point across.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby Nebby » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:05 pm

bjsesq wrote:
float55 wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)


I would also like to know what the logic is here. Enlighten us, OP.


As everyone can tell, I don't want to get into this. But I'm willing to clarify -- though I'm surprised I *need* to clarify -- that my beef with feminism is not over the issue of "gender equality." There's a reason why only 20% of Americans identify as feminists even though 82% agree that "men and women should be social, political, and economic equals". Think about "The Patriarchy," "rape culture," "male privilege," "77 cents on the dollar," "Know Your IX," and "#YesAllWomen" to get a sense of how much more there is to feminism than the idea that women deserve equal rights, respect, and opportunities as men, which *of course* I believe. I'm also not completely denying the validity of all of the other things I just mentioned. But I just want to illustrate how the rhetoric and mission of feminism go far beyond the uncontroversial notion of equality.

That's radfem tumblr bullshit, and a significant portion of this site mocks it on a regular basis, with me being one of the biggest bashers. That bullshit is not THE representative of feminism, dude.

This.

Floater, it seems like your real issue is that you're critical of one-type of radical feminism, whereas there are multiple feminism. However, are you denying that concepts such as patriarchal cultures and male privilege are non-existent? Or was that just a lazy synopsis?

Also, what's your beef with environmentalism?

float55
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby float55 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:14 pm

bjsesq wrote:That's radfem tumblr bullshit, and a significant portion of this site mocks it on a regular basis, with me being one of the biggest bashers. That bullshit is not THE representative of feminism, dude.



#YesAllWomen had *millions* of tweets. The "77 cents on the dollar" factoid has been used by many politicians, including Obama, to trick people into thinking that women get paid 23% less than men for equal work. I meet people who seriously believe that all the time. Know Your IX has been having a major effect on discourse and policy towards campus sexual assault. "The Patriarchy," "rape culture" and "privilege" are central concepts in most-if-not-all feminist theory. How you could dismiss all of these things as "radfem tumblr bullshit" is beyond me.

(Again, I'm not saying that I 100% disagree with everything about Know Your IX and so on.)

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby Nebby » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:30 pm

float55 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:That's radfem tumblr bullshit, and a significant portion of this site mocks it on a regular basis, with me being one of the biggest bashers. That bullshit is not THE representative of feminism, dude.



#YesAllWomen had *millions* of tweets. The "77 cents on the dollar" factoid has been used by many politicians, including Obama, to trick people into thinking that women get paid 23% less than men for equal work. I meet people who seriously believe that all the time. Know Your IX has been having a major effect on discourse and policy towards campus sexual assault. "The Patriarchy," "rape culture" and "privilege" are central concepts in most-if-not-all feminist theory. How you could dismiss all of these things as "radfem tumblr bullshit" is beyond me.

(Again, I'm not saying that I 100% disagree with everything about Know Your IX and so on.)

Let's make things simple.

What are your misgivings with the concept of "male privilege?" Do you deny that concept completely or is it more nuanced?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Shanley Kane is a bitch, ergo feminism is garbage. QED

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm

OP, I'm genuinely curious, what are your issues with environmentalism?

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Sirius Blackstone wrote:OP, I'm genuinely curious, what are your issues with environmentalism?

greenpeace are terrorists

float55
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 am

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby float55 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Let's make things simple.

What are your misgivings with the concept of "male privilege?" Do you deny that concept completely or is it more nuanced?



There are absolutely some perks to being male, like that guys don't have to worry about being slut-shamed. But feminists all to often use charges of "privilege" against guys either out of general contempt for men, or because they're trying to silence men's perspectives.

For example, I had a feminist professor say that she gets mad at male scholars who mention their children during academic talks. According to her, that's an offensive use of male privilege, since, if a woman did that, she'd be stereotyped as a "mommy" and taken less seriously a scholar. But male scholars who talk about their kids aren't doing any harm. In fact, when men talk about their kids, it actually makes it *easier* for women to talk about their kids without being stereotyped, since, after all, guys do it too. So her appeal to "male privilege" was (likely) just an excuse to express some latent resentment of men. The same goes for when guys are accused of "using privilege" when they talk more in class than girls do, even if the girls have perfectly abundant opportunity to speak as much as they like. "Privilege" can be used to shame people for the benefiting from circumstances they have no control over.

It can also be used to insinuate that guys are corrupt and not to be trusted. I was once told that the economic studies that attribute big chunks of the wage gap to factors like number of hours worked and years of experience are untrustworthy because they are conducted by "privileged" men, and that my own privilege requires that I defer to women's perspectives on the issue.

Finally, "male privilege" is often used to say that males have some ubiquitous kind of advantage that they carry with them across all circumstances, when in fact there are plenty of circumstances where a male would be better off female (like when the waiter brings the bill, or the jury reads the verdict).

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:28 pm

float55 wrote:There are absolutely some perks to being male, like that guys don't have to worry about being slut-shamed. But feminists all to often use charges of "privilege" against guys either out of general contempt for men, or because they're trying to silence men's perspectives.

For example, I had a feminist professor say that she gets mad at male scholars who mention their children during academic talks. According to her, that's an offensive use of male privilege, since, if a woman did that, she'd be stereotyped as a "mommy" and taken less seriously a scholar. But male scholars who talk about their kids aren't doing any harm. In fact, when men talk about their kids, it actually makes it *easier* for women to talk about their kids without being stereotyped, since, after all, guys do it too. So her appeal to "male privilege" was (likely) just an excuse to express some latent resentment of men. The same goes for when guys are accused of "using privilege" when they talk more in class than girls do, even if the girls have perfectly abundant opportunity to speak as much as they like. "Privilege" can be used to shame people for the benefiting from circumstances they have no control over.

It can also be used to insinuate that guys are corrupt and not to be trusted. I was once told that the economic studies that attribute big chunks of the wage gap to factors like number of hours worked and years of experience are untrustworthy because they are conducted by "privileged" men, and that my own privilege requires that I defer to women's perspectives on the issue.

Finally, "male privilege" is often used to say that males have some ubiquitous kind of advantage that they carry with them across all circumstances, when in fact there are plenty of circumstances where a male would be better off female (like when the waiter brings the bill, or the jury reads the verdict).

:lol:

that was a *startling critique* if I've ever seen one

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:31 pm

float55 wrote:
Let's make things simple.

What are your misgivings with the concept of "male privilege?" Do you deny that concept completely or is it more nuanced?



There are absolutely some perks to being male, like that guys don't have to worry about being slut-shamed. But feminists all to often use charges of "privilege" against guys either out of general contempt for men, or because they're trying to silence men's perspectives.

For example, I had a feminist professor say that she gets mad at male scholars who mention their children during academic talks. According to her, that's an offensive use of male privilege, since, if a woman did that, she'd be stereotyped as a "mommy" and taken less seriously a scholar. But male scholars who talk about their kids aren't doing any harm. In fact, when men talk about their kids, it actually makes it *easier* for women to talk about their kids without being stereotyped, since, after all, guys do it too. So her appeal to "male privilege" was (likely) just an excuse to express some latent resentment of men. The same goes for when guys are accused of "using privilege" when they talk more in class than girls do, even if the girls have perfectly abundant opportunity to speak as much as they like. "Privilege" can be used to shame people for the benefiting from circumstances they have no control over.

It can also be used to insinuate that guys are corrupt and not to be trusted. I was once told that the economic studies that attribute big chunks of the wage gap to factors like number of hours worked and years of experience are untrustworthy because they are conducted by "privileged" men, and that my own privilege requires that I defer to women's perspectives on the issue.

Finally, "male privilege" is often used to say that males have some ubiquitous kind of advantage that they carry with them across all circumstances, when in fact there are plenty of circumstances where a male would be better off female (like when the waiter brings the bill, or the jury reads the verdict).


okay, I don't agree with all of this exactly, but yea, I'll grant that college students at elite liberal arts colleges can be extremely judgmental and jump to conclusions that aren't warranted in an attempt to radicalize, especially if they are trying to prove themselves or overcome an unfortunate upbringing e.g. parents took them to gaybashing church every sunday. And they can be hyper-sensitive or aggressive on these issues in an uncomfortable way. You aren't totally clueless.

that being said you shouldn't open with "very critical of feminism." That's bound to be inflammatory (because 'feminism' is pretty mainstream to an educated audience so you seem like a twat) and you know it is. so just keep your first impressions a little more guarded, lead with your reasoned intellect, not gut shot o'reilly factor bullshit, and you'll be fine.

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:43 pm

There, you've laid out your critique of feminism and only been mildly trolled about it. Now, environmentalism?

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21905
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:03 am

OP, critique environmentalism.

Is clean air or clean water going to be the downfall of mankind?

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Postby yomisterd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:
float55 wrote:There are absolutely some perks to being male, like that guys don't have to worry about being slut-shamed. But feminists all to often use charges of "privilege" against guys either out of general contempt for men, or because they're trying to silence men's perspectives.

For example, I had a feminist professor say that she gets mad at male scholars who mention their children during academic talks. According to her, that's an offensive use of male privilege, since, if a woman did that, she'd be stereotyped as a "mommy" and taken less seriously a scholar. But male scholars who talk about their kids aren't doing any harm. In fact, when men talk about their kids, it actually makes it *easier* for women to talk about their kids without being stereotyped, since, after all, guys do it too. So her appeal to "male privilege" was (likely) just an excuse to express some latent resentment of men. The same goes for when guys are accused of "using privilege" when they talk more in class than girls do, even if the girls have perfectly abundant opportunity to speak as much as they like. "Privilege" can be used to shame people for the benefiting from circumstances they have no control over.

It can also be used to insinuate that guys are corrupt and not to be trusted. I was once told that the economic studies that attribute big chunks of the wage gap to factors like number of hours worked and years of experience are untrustworthy because they are conducted by "privileged" men, and that my own privilege requires that I defer to women's perspectives on the issue.

Finally, "male privilege" is often used to say that males have some ubiquitous kind of advantage that they carry with them across all circumstances, when in fact there are plenty of circumstances where a male would be better off female (like when the waiter brings the bill, or the jury reads the verdict).

:lol:

that was a *startling critique* if I've ever seen one


zombie mcavoy REALLY IS just like a brainless Will McAvoy. Which I guess isn't that hard to accomplish.

OP either of those options have good BigLaw results. It's not worth considering things like politics because you will inevitably find people you want to hang out with and unless you are a troglodyte you will be fine. If you want to save your folks money, go to Penn. If you want to be in NYC and your folks are fine with you taking care of them in their old age, do NYU.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest