Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Penn$$ vs. NYU($?) For a Not-Super-Liberal Student

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:01 pm

OP, from the moment your mouth breathing could be detected in your first post, we all knew that it was you, as a person, that was insufferable, and not your views.

Take off the Fedora, shave the neck beard, and go to George Mason.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Has OP described what a public intellectual is yet?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 pm

bjsesq wrote:Has OP described what a public intellectual is yet?
Glenn Beck

earthabides

Bronze

Post by earthabides » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:08 pm

I consider myself liberal, especially in terms of American politics. But, everyone here is just proving OP's point. He really didn't say anything that cringe

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:08 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Take off the Fedora, shave the neck beard, and go to George Mason.
Not sure OP would get along with the Mercatus Center types either.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:09 pm

earthabides wrote:I consider myself liberal, especially in terms of American politics. But, everyone here is just proving OP's point. He really didn't say anything that cringe
derp

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:10 pm

earthabides wrote:I consider myself liberal, especially in terms of American politics. But, everyone here is just proving OP's point. He really didn't say anything that cringe
I consider myself a republican, and I think what he posted was really, really dumb. I think it is a parody, though. This isn't a real person.

earthabides

Bronze

Post by earthabides » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:
I consider myself a republican, and I think what he posted was really, really dumb. I think it is a parody, though. This isn't a real person.
public intellectual + socially debilitating reputation sure... fair concern in general though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 pm

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Mocking critiques of feminism did qualify as public intellectualism in 4th century Athens BCE and at the fourth vatican council

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 pm

OP - aside from the money issue, I think it's mostly that you sound… almost paranoid? Like you assume that at your undergrad the student body was out to get you and at NYU some sort of liberal cabal will be bent on ostracizing you the moment you walk in the door. Like we're all saying, seriously, don't think about vague "political orientation" when making this decision, it's not important and not how you actually make friends.

..and consider Cornell.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:48 pm

The smell of patchouli practically LEAPS at you from NYU and its moral relativism policy will soon make attendance a non-starter. You must go to Penn and save the brains of the masses, NYU is lost in a sea of shitlibs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

float55

New

Post by float55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:25 pm

float55 wrote:I also expect to be able to avoid taking out loans since my family can front me the money (though we're not *rich,* so COA is still very much an important factor).
TLS values brevity. That's why I didn't clog my OP with an acknowledgement of the privilege that my parents' savings and generosity afford me. The fact that it *is* a privilege that I ought to be enormously thankful for is the most obvious fact in the world, and, thus, a waste of space on a forum that's all about the efficient exchange of practical advice.

I said my family's not rich because......my family's not rich. Some of you are reacting as if I said something as contradictory as "My family is a three-sided polygon, but it is not a triangle." But the truth is that people *can* have a few hundred thousand bucks available to lend without being the kind of person that anyone would consider *rich.* In my parents' case, they are older than most parents of 0Ls, and they are getting ready to retire and collect social security and enroll in Medicare. The financial worries that they have concern the distant future, say, if one of them needs a live-in nurse someday. But that's all the more reason to help their son save money in the long run to spend on their medical care later in their lives, which means helping me (and thus helping the whole family) avoid paying interest on law school loans. So, while, again, of course they are in good financial shape compared to the average American, they are *not* in a position where money is simply a non-issue (as *is* the case for many parents who send their kids off the top law schools, as many of you well know). That was the distinction I was getting at when I said they're not rich.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:33 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:lol @ "very critical of feminism"

fyi you are rich. not owning that privilege is your problem
I think people have a hard time with the distinction between being rich and not having to worry about money.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:35 pm

float55 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:If you are turning people off on you because of your politics, than you are doing something wrong.
Have you read this thread? What have I done wrong?
Nothing in this thread. But the fact that your political views have apparently caused problems in your social life, so much so that you felt compelled to mention them in regards to a seemingly unrelated question of which law school offers better biglaw opportunities, makes me think that you have a situation a bit more then just your typical political wonk who might be occasionally annoying in class. There are plenty of conservatives at NYU and UC Berkeley and other schools that manage to complete 3 years of law school without getting into street fights with the local feminists. I'm not saying you have to pretend to be apolitical, but maybe its the delivery not the message. If that's the case, that's your problem, not the feminists'.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:37 pm

float55 wrote:
float55 wrote:I also expect to be able to avoid taking out loans since my family can front me the money (though we're not *rich,* so COA is still very much an important factor).
TLS values brevity. That's why I didn't clog my OP with an acknowledgement of the privilege that my parents' savings and generosity afford me. The fact that it *is* a privilege that I ought to be enormously thankful for is the most obvious fact in the world, and, thus, a waste of space on a forum that's all about the efficient exchange of practical advice.

I said my family's not rich because......my family's not rich. Some of you are reacting as if I said something as contradictory as "My family is a three-sided polygon, but it is not a triangle." But the truth is that people *can* have a few hundred thousand bucks available to lend without being the kind of person that anyone would consider *rich.* In my parents' case, they are older than most parents of 0Ls, and they are getting ready to retire and collect social security and enroll in Medicare. The financial worries that they have concern the distant future, say, if one of them needs a live-in nurse someday. But that's all the more reason to help their son save money in the long run to spend on their medical care later in their lives, which means helping me (and thus helping the whole family) avoid paying interest on law school loans. So, while, again, of course they are in good financial shape compared to the average American, they are *not* in a position where money is simply a non-issue (as *is* the case for many parents who send their kids off the top law schools, as many of you well know). That was the distinction I was getting at when I said they're not rich.
:roll:

Also, odd place for a *public intellectual* to use a *contraction* (***family's***). Save using *one space* and *one character* at the *cost* of ****general grotesqueness***.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:46 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
float55 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:If you are turning people off on you because of your politics, than you are doing something wrong.
Have you read this thread? What have I done wrong?
Nothing in this thread. But the fact that your political views have apparently caused problems in your social life, so much so that you felt compelled to mention them in regards to a seemingly unrelated question of which law school offers better biglaw opportunities, makes me think that you have a situation a bit more then just your typical political wonk who might be occasionally annoying in class. There are plenty of conservatives at NYU and UC Berkeley and other schools that manage to complete 3 years of law school without getting into street fights with the local feminists. I'm not saying you have to pretend to be apolitical, but maybe its the delivery not the message. If that's the case, that's your problem, not the feminists'.
On this note, I have many friends, both in law school and from college, that are more conservative than me, and many that are more liberal. When we disagree, if we care to discuss it, we have a good natured debate on the merits and either arrive at a consensus or agree to disagree and get piss drunk together. Someone whose political affiliations are so vitriolic and hypersensitive that it causes substantial discord among their peers has deeper issues than swaying to the right or left of the body politic.

(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Post removed.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:(Also I'm legitimately confounded by the use of the word "feminism" or "feminist" ITT. Feminism hasn't been an open question in the public discourse for decades. It's not a radical concept, it's like being "very critical" of the idea that cigarettes can cause lung cancer or "very critical" of ending segregation. Feminism doesn't mean femo-trotskyism or Anne Koedt or praying at the alter of Judith Butler; maybe OP is using the word to mean radical feminism?)
Sadly, there are still a lot of (uninformed) people who believe that any mention of the word "feminism" means something radical/terrible/probably involving riots and burning things. Or people that assume sort of basic "feminism" (cough basic equality) things are, in fact, radical and thus lead inevitably to the aforementioned riots and burning things.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:32 pm

did you really just call a *public intellectual* "*uninformed*"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:did you really just call a *public intellectual* "*uninformed*"?
Seems I did. Radical, I know.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Post removed.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:40 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:did you really just call a *public intellectual* "*uninformed*"?
Aspiring. ASPIRING public intellectual. He's just a private one right now.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:Are you just going to take all this feminist aggression and not stand up for yourself, OP?
Maybe he's just being chivalrous. Or, he's putting into practice what we have been saying about being polite with people who disagree with you. This could be personal growth and new self-awareness we're seeing here, guys.

lol and in college I was probably the least raging-feminist type I knew.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”