Michigan no longer a T10 - run away all is doomed Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bowser

Bronze

Re: Michigan no longer a T10 - run away all is doomed

Post by bowser » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:14 am

what speculation? posters saw average grades of those getting callbacks, and found no difference b/t Michigan and Northwestern, Cornell, Penn, etc.

If everyone at T14s viewed NYC as a legitimate second option and acted accordingly, more of them would get jobs at OCI. But people tend to be stubborn about these things, even when they have the information in front of them.

PapaMolly

New

Post by PapaMolly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:35 am

Gotta chime in here as a Michigan student. The self selection out of BL is huge here. Some of my top classmates abstained from OCI because they're going for gov or public interest. These are people with 4.0's that could have walked into a V10 if they wanted. Not to mention a huge chunk of our class is from Michigan and wants to stay here, or at least nearby.

I know everyone knows people at their school like this, but I sincerely think its abnormally pervasive here. Bit of a different culture I guess. Just my 2 cents

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 am

PapaMolly wrote:Gotta chime in here as a Michigan student. The self selection out of BL is huge here. Some of my top classmates abstained from OCI because they're going for gov or public interest. These are people with 4.0's that could have walked into a V10 if they wanted. Not to mention a huge chunk of our class is from Michigan and wants to stay here, or at least nearby.

I know everyone knows people at their school like this, but I sincerely think its abnormally pervasive here. Bit of a different culture I guess. Just my 2 cents
Based on last years report Michigan placed 12% into PI and govnt jobs. Berkeley and UVA both placed 21%, so I think this argument would work better for those schools.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:49 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
PapaMolly wrote:Gotta chime in here as a Michigan student. The self selection out of BL is huge here. Some of my top classmates abstained from OCI because they're going for gov or public interest. These are people with 4.0's that could have walked into a V10 if they wanted. Not to mention a huge chunk of our class is from Michigan and wants to stay here, or at least nearby.

Based on last years report Michigan placed 12% into PI and govnt jobs. Berkeley and UVA both placed 21%, so I think this argument would work better for those schools.
well, for berk at least

berk 2010
4 long term school funded
17.5% long term gov't/pi

berk 2013
26 long term school funded
20.9% long term full time gov't/pi

uva 2010
1 long term school funded
11.8% long term gov't/pi lt

uva 2013
59 long term school funded
20.9% long term full time gov't pi

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:50 am

metroidbum wrote:Michigan's LST numbers are better than Berkeley and GULC, and just below Duke/Northwestern

But yeah, its a TTT
It's not a TTT but it's a terrible school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 am

This thread is just a melting pot of all of TLS's worst and most redundant conversations and it needs to die

(Also #michisthenewgulc, season 3 premiering on tls-netflix March 10)

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:00 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:

Agreed, an uncompelling answer. No different from NU's 10% JD/MBA cohort that predominately targets non-law jobs (yet NU BigLaw placement in the aggregate remains high).

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
metroidbum wrote:Michigan's LST numbers are better than Berkeley and GULC, and just below Duke/Northwestern

But yeah, its a TTT
It's not a TTT but it's a terrible school.
T8 is apparently the new t14

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”