University of Florida $$ vs Bama $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rubberplant2020

University of Florida $$ vs Bama $$

Postby rubberplant2020 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:22 am

Hi all,

This is a really tough decision I have. I've been awarded a scholly to UF and Bama. For UF all I would have to pay is 2k+COL while for Bama I would have to pay 7k plus COL. I've visited Both schools and felt really at home at Bama, but I went to UF for UG and I live in FL. The thing I like about Bama is the job placement rate but it seems they r mostly clerkships in Bama and If I were median at Bama I probably wouldn't be able to get a job back in Florida.

I was wondering if any one had any extra insight into these schools or other things I should think about when making a decision.

KMart

Re: University of Florida $$ vs Bama $$

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:33 am

rubberplant2020 wrote: other things I should think about when making a decision.

You should consider where you want to practice. If it's Alabama, go to that school. If it's in Florida, go to that school.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:33 am

What & where are your goals? ATL and LST put UF and UA closer than USNWR would make it seem.

Did you apply to FSU as well?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 am

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 am

Based on the info you've given us, UF is a no brainer. UF places students into Florida, and it sounds like you have ties to FL and want to practice in FL. Given your ties, you will almost certainly have more opportunities in FL out of UF than you would in either FL or AL coming out of Bama.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:48 am

badaboom61 wrote:Based on the info you've given us, UF is a no brainer. UF places students into Florida, and it sounds like you have ties to FL and want to practice in FL. Given your ties, you will almost certainly have more opportunities in FL out of UF than you would in either FL or AL coming out of Bama.

Yeah. Unless you wanna get out of FL and could tolerate living in AL, then UF is the better choice for you.

Not to say you can't find a job in FL from Bama (especially the panhandle), but you'd just be making it harder on yourself if you want to be in FL long term.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 am

Based on what you've told us go to UF
that's a good price and it has a good rep in florida

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:14 am

we need more info but
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Based on what you've told us go to UF

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks for the advice all. Also the reason why this choice is harder than it seems is that while I was at UF for UG the people sucked and when I took a visit to the Law school the people sucked. When I visited Bama everyone was so friendly, not just the welcome people. Also at UF they have 100+ people per section. That seems absurd compared to Bama's 45 per section. My question is how much does this matter during law school.

Also UF has a crap load of people and don't guarantee clinics, but bama does guarantee every student will have the chance to participate in a clinic.

Also as far as my numbers I have seriously out performed them. My softs and life story have allowed for that. My goal is to make a lot of money or work for the government.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:Thanks for the advice all. Also the reason why this choice is harder than it seems is that while I was at UF for UG the people sucked and when I took a visit to the Law school the people sucked. When I visited Bama everyone was so friendly, not just the welcome people. Also at UF they have 100+ people per section. That seems absurd compared to Bama's 45 per section. My question is how much does this matter during law school.

Also UF has a crap load of people and don't guarantee clinics, but bama does guarantee every student will have the chance to participate in a clinic.

All the people sucked vs all the people were friendly? Seems silly but OK then. Still doesn't matter: this is an extremely important professional decision; your thoughts about the politeness of the people are far down on the totem pole. Section size is also pretty much irrelevant. Clinics are not a signfiicant factor in choosing a school, and if you can't beat out your classmates for spots in a clinic at either of these schools, you've got much bigger worries (ie getting a job).

These are all factors you can consider when all else is equal, but given your geographic preferences and the COA, all else is not very close to being equal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”