Law schools for Baltimore/Annapolis (maybe DC)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dontrogerthat

Law schools for Baltimore/Annapolis (maybe DC)

Postby dontrogerthat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm not applying to law schools until next fall but I am trying to get a good sense of where I should be aiming. I have strong ties to the baltimore area, I don't mind Annapolis either but I'm guessing they have a very small legal market. What schools would be optimal for Maryland big law? I'm also open to DC but that seems like a hard egg to crack. Is UMD a strong regional school for the area at a good price? Or would I be better off going to a school like GULC or GW?

This is all barring that I don't get into a top t14 type of school...

Any help for Maryland big law aspirations is appreciated!

The Dark Shepard

Re: Law schools for Baltimore/Annapolis (maybe DC)

Postby The Dark Shepard » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:06 pm

All of the school in Maryland have terrible placement in Bar Required jobs to begin with, so I'd look elsewhere. Don't know what would be the best way of ensuring you could get back though

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:04 am

This is an interesting question and I can't remember ever having seen the Baltimore legal market discussed on TLS. To the extent that there is a legal market in Baltimore, I would guess that it is largely dominated by UMD grads as I doubt very many people from T14 schools are targeting Baltimore and UMD is definitely better than the University of Baltimore so there's not a whole lot of competition. But the Baltimore legal market is pretty small to begin with leading to pretty awful placement numbers for UMD. You don't specify what kind of work you're interested in. Is it specifically BigLaw, public interest, state/local government?

I think one way to get an idea of what schools place primarily into BigLaw firms in Baltimore is to do a lawyer search on their website, search by office, and look at where the lawyers in the Bmore office went to school. This will give you some idea of firm hiring patterns in Baltimore.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:22 am

UB actually places very well in baltimore. I'd say most big law in baltimore (venable, Saul Ewing, miles etc.) draws primarily from UMD and UB. It's a bit of an insular market. If you know for sure you want to stay in Maryland, I'd definitely favor a Maryland school with a big scholarship over one of the DC schools.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:36 am

lawschoolftw wrote:UB actually places very well in baltimore. I'd say most big law in baltimore (venable, Saul Ewing, miles etc.) draws primarily from UMD and UB. It's a bit of an insular market. If you know for sure you want to stay in Maryland, I'd definitely favor a Maryland school with a big scholarship over one of the DC schools.

I used my own advice and looked up where associates went to school at the largest Bmore firms and you're right, to the the extent that there is a BigLaw market in Baltimore, the University of Baltimore places well into it. Looking at the list of largest firms in Bmore linked below, though, the number of people that these firms have to hire each year has to be miniscule.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/bl ... l?page=all

If you look at the site for Whiteford, Taylor & Preston (fourth largest firm in Bmore according to above list), they only have 10 associates total. Think about how many people these firms in Baltimore can possibly be hiring if the fourth largest firm in the area only has 10 associates total. Out of those 10, I think it was like 6 that went to UB and 2 to UMD and 2 from elsewhere.

http://www.wtplaw.com/people?field_firs ... to_one=All

dontrogerthat

Postby dontrogerthat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Wow I'm surprised at the amount of Baltimore grads at the firms. Thanks for the info!

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am

As other posters have said, the problem is Baltimore + biglaw. Baltimore is located within a few hours of 3 major cities (plus Delaware) each with a huge amount of biglaw firms who are going to gobble up the in-state clients. There's not enough Maryland state court practice involving large commercial entities to support many Baltimore biglaw firms.

This is the largest biglaw firm in Baltimore. Do a search for associates from Baltimore. About 40% T14, 35% UMD+UB (and all summa/magna), 25% other. https://www.venable.com/professionals/L ... 454c5da16f

As you can see, you're going to have to make a choice. If you really want to do biglaw, then retake and apply to T14 is the correct answer. If you really want to practice in Baltimore (maybe start out in-house at the Baltimore PD, make major, then go out on your own as a criminal defense attorney) then UB or UMD with a hefty scholly. But trying to have it both is dangerous.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 pm

timbs4339 wrote:As other posters have said, the problem is Baltimore + biglaw. Baltimore is located within a few hours of 3 major cities (plus Delaware) each with a huge amount of biglaw firms who are going to gobble up the in-state clients. There's not enough Maryland state court practice involving large commercial entities to support many Baltimore biglaw firms.

This is the largest biglaw firm in Baltimore. Do a search for associates from Baltimore. About 40% T14, 35% UMD+UB (and all summa/magna), 25% other. https://www.venable.com/professionals/L ... 454c5da16f

As you can see, you're going to have to make a choice. If you really want to do biglaw, then retake and apply to T14 is the correct answer. If you really want to practice in Baltimore (maybe start out in-house at the Baltimore PD, make major, then go out on your own as a criminal defense attorney) then UB or UMD with a hefty scholly. But trying to have it both is dangerous.

Agreed with this to the extent that UB for pursuing exclusively big law isn't a great bet. That said, the implication that it's big law or the PD's office/solo criminal defense isn't exactly fair either. There are a lot of smaller to mid-size firms in Baltimore which hire almost exclusively from UB and Maryland. Admittedly, this is pure speculation, and I'm not sure if there's anyway to know this, but I'd venture a guess that UB has more lawyers gainfully employed than GW. Of course, GW will put more people in big law, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that overall, UB has placed better. Baltimore is a small, tight-knit market that favors its own, and for that reason, UB grads do well there.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:29 pm

lawschoolftw wrote: Admittedly, this is pure speculation, and I'm not sure if there's anyway to know this...

Luckily there is this super-helpful site, not that well known, that gives us lots of data about legal hiring:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... yers/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... yers/2013/

LST shows about 5% of UMD/Baltimore's class are getting jobs with firms between 11-100 attorneys. Now, it's true that about 9/15% respectively, get jobs with 2-10 attorney firms, but now we are talking personal injury, criminal defense, or even a bunch of solos banding together into a firm, with jobs paying 40-60K. Not the kind of corporate work that OP seems to want.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”