Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15476
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:28 pm

JDcandidate2018 wrote:How does that work in situations where they require a seat deposit? I think Georgetown requires the intent-to-enroll by 4/1 and deposit by 5/1.

You can always sit on waitlists even after depositing.

supersplittysplitter
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby supersplittysplitter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JDcandidate2018 wrote:How does that work in situations where they require a seat deposit? I think Georgetown requires the intent-to-enroll by 4/1 and deposit by 5/1.

You can always sit on waitlists even after depositing.


Yea I don't think the intent to enroll is binding because it's not even a deposit. The intent to enroll form gives you a choice of sending a deposit by May 1 OR a binding deposit waiver form. So I think the intent to enroll is only binding if you submit the binding deposit waiver form as well.

Also if you search old GULC threads a bunch of other posts claim that the intent to enroll is not binding.

JDcandidate2018
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby JDcandidate2018 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:14 pm

.
Last edited by JDcandidate2018 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Cornell. I would pay significantly more to go to Cornell over gtown; I wouldn't give gtown strong consideration at this point.

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby brianiac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Business Insider has Georgetown at #7. This means more long-term opportunity, and therefore greater earning potential. Also Georgetown has excellent placement in all corners of the legal universe. It does well with government, it does well with non-profits, it does well with firms. As one of the two DC Powerhouses, you'll be at the front of the line for DC jobs. But you really can't go wrong with either, Georgetown with $82.5k and GW with $120k are both excellent options.

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 pm

brianiac wrote:Business Insider has Georgetown at #7. This means more long-term opportunity, and therefore greater earning potential. Also Georgetown has excellent placement in all corners of the legal universe. It does well with government, it does well with non-profits, it does well with firms. As one of the two DC Powerhouses, you'll be at the front of the line for DC jobs. But you really can't go wrong with either, Georgetown with $82.5k and GW with $120k are both excellent options.

At the front of the line ahead of...who? American?

redsoxfan1989
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:48 pm

JDcandidate2018 wrote:Georgetown Law is up to $105,000.

Take this back to Cornell and ask them. If they don't beat it, still Cornell for the jerbs.

User avatar
zombie mcavoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:46 pm

brianiac wrote:Business Insider has Georgetown at #7. This means more long-term opportunity, and therefore greater earning potential. Also Georgetown has excellent placement in all corners of the legal universe. It does well with government, it does well with non-profits, it does well with firms. As one of the two DC Powerhouses, you'll be at the front of the line for DC jobs. But you really can't go wrong with either, Georgetown with $82.5k and GW with $120k are both excellent options.

What? No?

The fact that you say OP should consider GW over an equivalent scholarship at Cornell should completely discount everything you said, but I'll spell out my other concerns.

Georgetown's placement sucks compared to essentially every T14, and Cornell has fantastic placement numbers. On top of that, OP stated he is, at worst, equally interested in NY as he is in DC. Thus in the only universe OP should consider GULC over Cornell is one where GULC offers enough money to overcome the difference in employment statistics; remember, GULC fails to place a full quarter of its class in biglaw/fedclerks compared to Cornell. It's not a small difference.

Here, GULC is offering significantly less money -- even after seeing Cornell's offer -- and requires OP to pay significantly more in COL. GULC should be completely off the table.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10688
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm slightly less anti-GULC than zombie, but it's the CR in this case: every rank counts in the lower t14 for sure. I'm at GULC - I think it's fine but would have loved to have that much less stress at OCI.

Discussion point for the thread: is Cornell with $$ always better than NYU sticker?

redsoxfan1989
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Discussion point for the thread: is Cornell with $$ always better than NYU sticker?


I made this choice and I don't regret it.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15476
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:28 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:Discussion point for the thread: is Cornell with $$ always better than NYU sticker?


I made this choice and I don't regret it.

Why do 1L's always say this? What's there to regret?

redsoxfan1989
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:Discussion point for the thread: is Cornell with $$ always better than NYU sticker?


I made this choice and I don't regret it.

Why do 1L's always say this? What's there to regret?

Thankfully nothing yet?

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:27 am

JDcandidate2018 wrote:I think, at this point, I'm pretty much going for either Georgetown or Cornell. I'm going to use the 120k offer from Cornell to see if I can get Georgetown to move, then decide between those two offers. I contacted Georgetown to see if they would increase their offer; haven't heard back yet.

I also emailed Duke for an update to see if they were going to offer any money at all. Should hear back soon.


OP, do yourself a huge favor and stop considering GULC. Cornell gives you a FAR better chance of big law. GULC has a huge class size and you'll need significantly better grades there to be safe.

I'd say Cornell is worth at least $50k more than GULC. I'd rather pay off $150k in loans with big law, than face $100k as a strike out.

Ask yourself OP, do you want to feel safe at median going into OCI? Or would you rather be shitting your pants?

TheOnePercent
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby TheOnePercent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:59 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Ask yourself OP, do you want to feel safe at median going into OCI? Or would you rather be shitting your pants?

This. Do Cornell.

Penn/NU/Cornell are all undervalued in the marketplace (i.e. have most pronounced deltas in BL/FedClerk placement relative to mag rankings). Use 0L's ignorant reliance on USNWR rankings to your advantage by buying low on placement stats of annual "overperformers."

TheOnePercent
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby TheOnePercent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:08 am

brianiac wrote:GW [is an] excellent option.

~63% of GW's 2012 class failed to land BL or clerkship.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby nealric » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:59 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
JDcandidate2018 wrote:I think, at this point, I'm pretty much going for either Georgetown or Cornell. I'm going to use the 120k offer from Cornell to see if I can get Georgetown to move, then decide between those two offers. I contacted Georgetown to see if they would increase their offer; haven't heard back yet.

I also emailed Duke for an update to see if they were going to offer any money at all. Should hear back soon.


OP, do yourself a huge favor and stop considering GULC. Cornell gives you a FAR better chance of big law. GULC has a huge class size and you'll need significantly better grades there to be safe.

I'd say Cornell is worth at least $50k more than GULC. I'd rather pay off $150k in loans with big law, than face $100k as a strike out.

Ask yourself OP, do you want to feel safe at median going into OCI? Or would you rather be shitting your pants?


I think the anti-GULC stuff in TLS is a bit overstated, but I would give Cornell the edge here so long as you want to practice in the North East. Disclaimer: I'm a GULC (and biglaw) alum. For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily consider median at Cornell safe.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15476
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:03 pm

nealric wrote:For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily consider median at Cornell safe.

It probably wasn't when you went through hiring but it is these days. Cornell has absolutely killed it with hiring in recent years, and upwards of 10% of the class, all of whom are presumably at least above median, transfer out to higher ranked schools (8 to NYU alone last year!).

But you're right that its NYC-centric and the only way to take advantage of that strong placement is to interview with lots of NYC firms.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby nealric » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
nealric wrote:For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily consider median at Cornell safe.

It probably wasn't when you went through hiring but it is these days. Cornell has absolutely killed it with hiring in recent years, and upwards of 10% of the class, all of whom are presumably at least above median, transfer out to higher ranked schools (8 to NYU alone last year!).

But you're right that its NYC-centric and the only way to take advantage of that strong placement is to interview with lots of NYC firms.


Yes, but when I was choosing a law school anybody from a T14 got biglaw as long as they could avoid insulting the interviewer's mother. You never know what next year's market will be like.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15476
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown w/82.5k scholarship or GW/120k scholarship?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 pm

I mean I guess if you want to make decisions based on recessions that happen once every seventy years go for it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chili_davis, lawcapture, NavyNuke, Wipfelder and 6 guests