(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
truthat

Postby truthat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Last edited by truthat on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Re: Michigan or UVA?

Postby Mullens » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 pm

truthat wrote:Hey guys,

I may be in the wrong forum (my apologies if that's the case), but I'm doing research into the schools to apply late this cycle or early next cycle. I'm deciding where to ED - UVA or Michigan.

Since I'm doing ED, I don't expect $ to be much of a factor - just trying to gauge which basket I should put my money into.

I have a question though - it looks like Mich/UVA are quite similar in terms of opportunities/placement (I'm most interested in NYC/DC/Cali biglaw), but some folks have mentioned that Michigan may be on a downswing while Virginia is locked in as a solid T-14. This makes me curious as, from my understanding, Michigan has enjoyed a very good historical reputation for a long time now. What are your thoughts on this? Why is Michigan suffering compared to its peers? Is this just an aberration or will the pattern hold?

If you're not worried about money at all, it wouldn't hurt you to apply this cycle (as late as it is) and not lose a year of opportunity cost. If you're paying for law school with loans, DO NOT ED either of these schools. Debt financing sticker is an awful idea.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm

These are two of the most generous t14s with aid

Why ED

Why

truthat

Postby truthat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Last edited by truthat on Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Stats?

If you gotta ed, and want biglaw, wuttabout penn and nyu?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Check out http://www.lawschooltransparency.com for job placement statistics. Feel free to try and piece together what is happening on your own, if you ask what might be wrong with Michigan it's going to turn into this big thing and you're going to hurt a lot of feelings. Maybe it's self-selection, maybe the students are failing the school, maybe the school is failing the students, nobody knows. There is some data there, do with it what you must.

These are kinda random schools to ED at.

What are your numbers?

Where would you prefer to live and work long term? (don't say anywhere or that you care about all 3 equally, what is your actual preference?)

Why do you prefer these schools over, say, Cornell? Or Duke? Or Northwestern?

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 pm

UVA has appreciably better biglaw hiring numbers than Michigan (all else being equal and with some variation from market to market and firm to firm); I don't know the exact extent to which UVA's 9 month fellowship job inflation program affects that, but any stats-juking doesn't change the fact that they're still a safer bet. I wouldn't pay 50k more to go to UVA, but some people might.

On a side note, EDing to either school seems like a phenomenally stupid move, but then again, there are always families with insane amounts of money to burn, and someone's gotta finance the retakers' scholarships. :lol:

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 pm

I'm not sure that ED is a great option.

I'd also like to remind you that your ability to get to CA is going to be heavily dependent on your ties to CA. If you don't have those ties you're unlikely to have a lot of success at OCI. Michigan has a bigger alumni network in CA so that's a slight advantage.

Your ability to get DC will depend heavily on your grades. Its the hardest market to crack grade-wise. Michigan sends a sizeable contingent to DC, but I think UVA has the larger alumni network in DC - so that's a slight advantage.

Beyond that, I think LST can tell you most of what you need to know.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm

I chose Mich over UVA. UVA is a little better, but Mich was much cheaper for me. This doesn't apply if you ED. Don't ED anywhere except NU.

Even if you have the money, don't just run it down the drain because you can.

truthat

Postby truthat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Last edited by truthat on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:07 pm

truthat wrote:Thanks for all the inputs! To clarify a little bit:

-I mentioned Michigan and UVA for ED as those schools seem like great fit for me - collegial environment/great tradition/location. And they seem splitter-friendly (3.2, 170) among T14.

-As far as markets go, my preference is CA > DC > NYC. Looking at the #s, it seems like UVA has a very small advantage in general, but Michigan is still very strong. So to me, that's a wash.

Hearing from you guys, perhaps ED is just not..smart? True, having $ for school is one thing, but taking myself out of any financial aid is another..but given my splitter status, who knows.

I don't think OP will get financial aid from these schools, so I'm not that opposed in theory to ED UVA, but who knows, its so much easier to get into law school/get scholarships now than it was even 2-3 years ago.

look at the scholarships people are getting with your numbers on LSN

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Stats?

If you gotta ed, and want biglaw, wuttabout penn and nyu?

Ya Penn especially is splitter and ED friendly and better papcement

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Historically, Michigan has given out scholarships to early decision applicants in the same amounts as to regular decision people.

And they don't keep it secret:
Early Decision Option wrote:Early Decision–admitted students are, however, eligible for our merit- and need-based financial grants on the same terms as every other admitted student.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”