U Chicago Ruby vs. NYU Vanderbilt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anthropocentric

U Chicago Ruby vs. NYU Vanderbilt

Postby anthropocentric » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:25 am

I'm in the extremely fortunate position of having a choice between two full-ride scholarship offers: the Vanderbilt at NYU and the Ruby at U Chicago.

I know the Ruby is worth more money (it has a $15k/year stipend, and the Vanderbilt does not), but I also have some personal reasons for preferring to be in New York over Chicago (close to home, good friends in NYC, etc.).

What I'm curious about is whether there are any differences in reputation and prestige between the two scholarships. I know that the Ruby has high name recognition, at least on this board. In contrast, I had never heard of the Vanderbilt scholarship at NYU until I received the award, and it's not even listed on NYU's JD scholarships website (http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/sch ... holarships). I imagine that this award doesn't have the same brand recognition as some of NYU's other named scholarships, like the Furman or the RTK.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Are all CCN full rides created equal, or does the Ruby have some intangible advantages aside from the stipend?

Tiago Splitter

Re: U Chicago Ruby vs. NYU Vanderbilt

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am

The Ruby is new as of a few years ago, so it doesn't really carry any prestige of its own. I think the extra 45k is too much to pass up but I can understand wanting to stay near family and friends in NYC. But there's no prestige boost in either direction so don't worry about that.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:31 am

where do you want to be long-term?

It's more than a 45K difference, too; COL difference between Hyde Park & Greenwich Village is huge.

anthropocentric

Postby anthropocentric » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to be on the east coast long term. Not necessarily NYC, but definitely in one of the northeast corridor cities.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:46 pm

NYU might be slightly better for northeast, but either school can get you basically anywhere.

Are these intangible elements worth an addition $60k or so(possibly more, I don't know NYC COL)? That's something I don't think we can answer for you as that is different for everyone. I wish I had picked a similar school in the same city as my undergrad, where most of my friends were. But it would have cost a decent chunk more(less than what you are looking at as a difference by a large amount though). I feel I might be enjoying my life more and having friends outside of law school would have been nice. Alternatively, my grades might not have been as high since I'd be more distracted from what is going on. It's hard to say. And again, I don't think its quantifiable in a situation like yours where you are getting full-rides at two T6 schools.

lapolicia

Postby lapolicia » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Unless your personal reasons are that you will be long distance from your wife/husband for 3 years or that you need to take care of your parents, I would take the Ruby in a heartbeat. The schools are basically identical in every way, and 45k will be an amazing amount of money to have in the bank when you start your career. You can literally buy a house less than one year out of law school.
Last edited by lapolicia on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:52 pm

How many more of these threads are we going to have? They make me feel bad. :(

yot11

Postby yot11 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Honestly 45-60k is a drop in the bucket. At the COA you are looking at, you can pay down your debt in 2 years at biglaw salary. Want to leave biglaw before that? No problem. Just cut your debt payment in half and still have your debt paid down faster than biglaw folks that paid sticker.

I would go with personal preference at this cost.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 pm

There's another thread discussing Hamilton v Rubenstein out there. While I don't think the decisions are identical, there are definitely some similarities

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 pm

NYU is a TTT in decline so I wouldn't go there.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Retake and ED Northwestern

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm

anthropocentric wrote:What I'm curious about is whether there are any differences in reputation and prestige between the two scholarships. I know that the Ruby has high name recognition, at least on this board. In contrast, I had never heard of the Vanderbilt scholarship at NYU until I received the award, and it's not even listed on NYU's JD scholarships website (http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/sch ... holarships). I imagine that this award doesn't have the same brand recognition as some of NYU's other named scholarships, like the Furman or the RTK.

This isn't the first time I've seen a poster laboring under the impression that this-or-that named scholarship is "prestigious." Perhaps these scholarships are prestigious within the law school itself. But when it comes to legal hiring (firms, clerkships, government jobs, PI), I seriously doubt anyone cares that you got a Ruby or a Furman or a whatever. It's great that you got your tuition paid and all, but, if I'm an employer, I'm looking at your fucking grades and experience.

I really, really don't think the "prestige" of your scholarship matters.

ETA: I can see it mattering for 1L summer jobs, which you'll often get before grades are in. But even in that limited context, I doubt it matters much.

lapolicia

Postby lapolicia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:25 am

rpupkin wrote:
anthropocentric wrote:What I'm curious about is whether there are any differences in reputation and prestige between the two scholarships. I know that the Ruby has high name recognition, at least on this board. In contrast, I had never heard of the Vanderbilt scholarship at NYU until I received the award, and it's not even listed on NYU's JD scholarships website (http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/sch ... holarships). I imagine that this award doesn't have the same brand recognition as some of NYU's other named scholarships, like the Furman or the RTK.

This isn't the first time I've seen a poster laboring under the impression that this-or-that named scholarship is "prestigious." Perhaps these scholarships are prestigious within the law school itself. But when it comes to legal hiring (firms, clerkships, government jobs, PI), I seriously doubt anyone cares that you got a Ruby or a Furman or a whatever. It's great that you got your tuition paid and all, but, if I'm an employer, I'm looking at your fucking grades and experience.

I really, really don't think the "prestige" of your scholarship matters.

ETA: I can see it mattering for 1L summer jobs, which you'll often get before grades are in. But even in that limited context, I doubt it matters much.

RTK definitely has serious brand recognition for public interest organizations and government. But otherwise, your grades will be what matters for jobs. A fancy scholarship will be a minor soft.

Desporado

Postby Desporado » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:02 am

Believe it or not, I am actually in exactly the same position at exactly the same time. I too am torn between the Vandy and the Ruby for much the same reasons that the OP mentioned: 50-60k extra vs. staying close to family and friends. I too have tried to wrap my brain around the difference between the two schools, and have come to the conclusion that they are pretty darn similar.

Aside from size and location, the only thing that really seems to set them apart is the 1L curriculum. The quarter system seems either more or less stressful than the semester system at NYU: more stressful because there is more exam "crunch time" and less stressful because each period of exams is of ascending importance (they also only take 8 exams in the year, with a 2-2-4 pattern {and the first set is worth only 15%}). The Legal Research and Writing also seems more intellectually focused than NYU's "Lawyering" but the schools seem to have similar clerkship numbers.

How important is 60 thousand dollars? Kinda? Assuming you can wipe out half of it with some kind of summer job before you even have to start paying it off, it comes down to a 250 a month payment or something like that; on par with taking over your family's cell phone bill. If you go into biglaw you will definitely be able to wipe it out in two years and still be young enough to go clerk. Still, if you don't work in law school, and you don't want to do biglaw when you get out, you could face a moderately heavy debt burden on graduating.

As far as "this school is ascending!" "this school is in decline" is concerned, I think it's pretty much BS. The rankings from the last 15 years show the CCN schools switching places a lot, but letting no one in from below (or moving up, for that matter). NYU has risen to number 4 twice in that time.
http://www.lsatqa.com/charts/trends/rankings

The ATL ranks also bounce around, and rank all three CCN schools to within a percentage point of one another:
http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2014-law ... -rankings/

I'm interested to see what and how you have decided (if you have yet!), but for me it comes down more to soul searching than external research.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 am

There isn't a wrong answer here. Congrats on the great options, OP and desporado.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:18 am

Is it a good thing to remain near old friends & family while in law school ?

The first year of law school is an all consuming experience in which one should be open to making new friends. First years often tend to cling to one another because of the fear of the unknown. Everyone at NYU & Chicago was a top student at college, but law school is far less predictable & somebody ends up in the bottom third of the class. The first year of law school is usually a period of growth & insecurity for the student. Your old friends & family won't understand as well as your classmates what you're experiencing.

The neighborhoods are quite different from each other.

A personal choice with a potential $60,000 price tag.

P.S. This is a good problem to have. Congratulations !

Desporado

Postby Desporado » Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 am

I think I am going to NYU guys! I know enough about myself to know that the potential to get isolated and depressed out there in Hyde Park is a little too high for me!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 am

Desporado wrote:I think I am going to NYU guys! I know enough about myself to know that the potential to get isolated and depressed out there in Hyde Park is a little too high for me!

good for you!

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat May 02, 2015 9:22 am

If the new employment stats are anything to go by, Chicago seems the better choice

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sat May 02, 2015 10:17 am

Could you live with parents while going to NYU, even for a year or two? Could make the difference.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 02, 2015 10:42 am

never mind, you've made your decision.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:If the new employment stats are anything to go by, Chicago seems the better choice

No

Postby 2014 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:If the new employment stats are anything to go by, Chicago seems the better choice

No

But maybe

Return to “Choosing a Law School”