UCLA $$$ v. NYU/Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where?

UCLA ($$$)
61%
NYU
11%
Columbia
29%

Total votes: 38

Dog

Re: UCLA $$$ v. NYU/Columbia

Postby Dog » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 am

jbagelboy wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Forget God's will, it's you that's writing a check that your body can't cash. There's just no way that your choices should come down to CLS or NYU at sticker vs. UCLA for free given your numbers and goals. If you only applied to schools in big cities, sit out a cycle and come back next year with a better plan of attack. If you blanketed the T14, you should be looking at $$ from schools like Cornell or NU vs. a full-ride from BC/BU, which given your goals would put you in a much better position.

for lower GPAs there won't be any lower T14 full rides. A 3.8/171 is in a better position for that than a 3.5/174, who can scrape CLS and HLS but won't see as much $$ at Duke, Cornell, ect. It can be a sticky spot unless you get lucky (or you come from very low income family and cop enough need based aid to take the plunge)

I have virtually the same stats as OP (174 3.6). 150k at Cornell happens with those numbers, and it can also happen at NU with an ED. Full rides might not happen, but you can get pretty close to one.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Dog wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Forget God's will, it's you that's writing a check that your body can't cash. There's just no way that your choices should come down to CLS or NYU at sticker vs. UCLA for free given your numbers and goals. If you only applied to schools in big cities, sit out a cycle and come back next year with a better plan of attack. If you blanketed the T14, you should be looking at $$ from schools like Cornell or NU vs. a full-ride from BC/BU, which given your goals would put you in a much better position.

for lower GPAs there won't be any lower T14 full rides. A 3.8/171 is in a better position for that than a 3.5/174, who can scrape CLS and HLS but won't see as much $$ at Duke, Cornell, ect. It can be a sticky spot unless you get lucky (or you come from very low income family and cop enough need based aid to take the plunge)

I have virtually the same stats as OP (174 3.6). 150k at Cornell happens with those numbers, and it can also happen at NU with an ED. Full rides might not happen, but you can get pretty close to one.

175 - 3.6 - Butler and Darrow. I don't know how far off this is from OP's numbers but full rides can happen if you have work experience

MousAnony

Postby MousAnony » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:32 am

OP here.

MousAnony wrote:Considering:
UCLA or NYU/Columbia. Not so much asking for a rehash of the unending NYU v. Columbia debate, more of NYC vs. LA.

COA:
Full ride with no cost of living (due to family support) at UCLA. Literally nothing. Sticker price and paying my own cost of living at NYU/Columbia--which comes out to $288,027 according to the GULC calculator (LST NYU:$309,177, Columbia: $313,097)

How I'm financing:
Scholarship and family support for UCLA. Loans for NYU/Columbia, plus whatever little merit or need based comes my way.

From/Ties:
Where I'm from is irrelevant. Currently LA based. I have equal ties and professional connections in NYC and LA. Ultimately want to raise a family in Boston.

Goals:

LSAT/GPA:
174/3.59

Times LSAT:
Once

MousAnony wrote:
UCLA:Well I'm sure that there's some expenses (textbooks/fees). But tuition is covered and so is cost of living, just from different sources.
NYU/Columbia: Waiting to hear back on aid but I don't think I will get much if any.

Had my JS1, still waiting to hear back. But not holding my breath.

No flame.

MousAnony wrote:OP Here.

JFO1833 wrote:OP, would is the family support in LA living at home? If not, why wouldn't you get the same support in NYC?

Yes. In LA I have people and resources I can rely on, unlike in NYC.

dabigchina wrote:How effective is a full ride/ near full ride at ucla for negotiating wih ccn?

I'm interested in this too and can update--in the appropriate forum--once my NYU/Columbia packages (if any) arrive and I've had a chance to wheel and deal. I think NYU will be more receptive than Columbia but that neither will do much about it. No way are they comparable schools like USC v. UCLA. Still it can't hurt to try and I'm looking forward to it. Fingers crossed.

Tiago Splitter wrote:UCLA if worthless is Boston is the goal

It's a gamble and a risk, but I don't think it's worthless. I see where you're coming from though. T6 from NYC gets further in Boston than a T20 regional school from far away.

jbagelboy wrote: this is one of the tougher choices for a mid-range GPA candidate.

I lean towards NYU/Columbia over UCLA. Any money from the NYC schools--either as an initial offer or the result of negotiations--just pulls me further. The response from the poll is the other way--along with most of the comments.

I'm as debt-averse as the next TLSer, if not moreso. The thought of paying $300k for a school, even ones as good as Columbia and NYU, is a sobering one. It's like a mortgage without the benefit of a house. Nevertheless, in my mind the $300k (NYU/Columbia) vs. no debt (UCLA) is short-term consideration. Whereas the difference between the schools is a longterm consideration. Someday, insha'Allah, I will be debt free, whether that day is the first day after I graduate or five, ten, maybe fifteen years after I graduate. And when that day comes all that will be left to consider is UCLA vs. NYU/Columbia on my resume. I think that NYU/Columbia afford far greater opportunities and open more doors.

Many thanks for posting your input.

NYU just came through with $$. The choice is now UCLA no debt, NYU with $50,000.00 off sticker, and Columbia at sticker.

Currently waiting on Columbia's initial award so I can start negotiating.

Does the new information change the TLS hivemind's calculation regarding UCLA vs. NYU/Columbia?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 am

these are NW ED numbers btw

MousAnony

Postby MousAnony » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:these are NW ED numbers btw

Didn't ED, but did apply and was waitlisted.

wons

Postby wons » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm

MousAnony wrote:

NYU just came through with $$. The choice is now UCLA no debt, NYU with $50,000.00 off sticker, and Columbia at sticker.

Currently waiting on Columbia's initial award so I can start negotiating.

Does the new information change the TLS hivemind's calculation regarding UCLA vs. NYU/Columbia?

FWIW, my break even on CLS/NYU v. UCLA for CA biglaw would be at around $200k. I'd pay $200 to go to the NY schools, but likely not $250.

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:33 pm

wons wrote:
FWIW, my break even on CLS/NYU v. UCLA for CA biglaw would be at around $200k. I'd pay $200 to go to the NY schools, but likely not $250.

How do you figure?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”