Best law school outside of HYS for LA biglaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JCDante

Best law school outside of HYS for LA biglaw?

Postby JCDante » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 am

Having been born and raised in LA most of my life and with practically all my family residing there, I am confident that I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

So outside of the Big 3, what's the best law school to attend if I want LA biglaw? Or better yet, what is the LA T14-esque tier list that firms here seek?

hearsay77

Re: Best law school outside of HYS for LA biglaw?

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 am

JCDante wrote:Having been born and raised in LA most of my life and with practically all my family residing there, I am confident that I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

So outside of the Big 3, what's the best law school to attend if I want LA biglaw? Or better yet, what is the LA T14-esque tier list that firms here seek?

UCLA

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:24 am

BoalTTT

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 am

Given your ties to the region, you should have a good shot at a 2L SA in L.A at most T14 schools. So, to answer your question, I guess Columbia since it's the best non-HYS school for biglaw.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 am

pamphleteer wrote:Given your ties to the region, you should have a good shot at a 2L SA in L.A at most T14 schools. So, to answer your question, I guess Columbia since it's the best non-HYS school for biglaw.

+1 all the CA people I know seem to do really well back in CA generally.

ETA: currently at Columbia

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 am

hearsay77 wrote:
UCLA Pepperdine

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 am

What would you do if you can't land LA Biglaw?

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:55 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
UCLA Pepperdine Loyola

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:13 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
UCLA Pepperdine Loyola People's College of Law

OP, come back when you have acceptance letters and $$$ offers so we can give you better advice.

JCDante

Postby JCDante » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

sesto elemento wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
UCLA Pepperdine Loyola People's College of Law

OP, come back when you have acceptance letters and $$$ offers so we can give you better advice.

Yes, I figured that after searching through older topics based on the same subject. Only problem is none of those topics provided a definitive answer: everybody made a good case for each side. :p

But in general, I should blanket the T14 (maybe minus Georgetown) for more opportunities to bribe USC/UCLA for more scholly money, correct? And for the most part there are four schools I cannot turn down 95 percent of the time right (HYS + Columbia). I figure Chicago, NYU, and Penn are schools I shouldn't turn down, but might be able to (and Berkeley because Cali), and Virginia/Mich/Duke are debatable. Then Cornell/Georgtown just apply for scholly offers, but with no intention of going, and Northwestern wouldn't look at me because I won't have meaningful work experience.

Oh and I'd be a second generation Trojan if that means anything for USC (although my dad was undergrad). I'm also very debt averse, but my dad makes a good amount of money (think of the ceiling of upper-middle-class) and insists he'll "find a way to pay for law school" as he says, but I don't think he's aware about how batshit insane law school tuition is, and I would prefer not to live off a parent's money after 21. Then there's the fact that I'm sure we're due for another recession in the next 4-5 years, and you never know what can happen to someone's job. Having said that, he'd likely refuse to let me go into massive debt, but I don't want that as a plan A .

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 pm

JCDante wrote:But in general, I should blanket the T14 (maybe minus Georgetown) for more opportunities to bribe USC/UCLA for more scholly money, correct? And for the most part there are four schools I cannot turn down 95 percent of the time right (HYS + Columbia). I figure Chicago, NYU, and Penn are schools I shouldn't turn down, but might be able to (and Berkeley because Cali), and Virginia/Mich/Duke are debatable. Then Cornell/Georgtown just apply for scholly offers, but with no intention of going, and Northwestern wouldn't look at me because I won't have meaningful work experience.

Columbia is not that obvious here. That's why I asked what you'd do if you couldn't land LA Biglaw, which is a reality for most people at USC/UCLA and a meaningful number from places like Columbia too. If you'd shoot hard for LA small/mid-law or local gov stuff if you struck out at OCI then go to USC/UCLA. If you'd prefer to do biglaw elsewhere in the country over LA smalllaw then go T-14

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JCDante wrote:But in general, I should blanket the T14 (maybe minus Georgetown) for more opportunities to bribe USC/UCLA for more scholly money, correct? And for the most part there are four schools I cannot turn down 95 percent of the time right (HYS + Columbia). I figure Chicago, NYU, and Penn are schools I shouldn't turn down, but might be able to (and Berkeley because Cali), and Virginia/Mich/Duke are debatable. Then Cornell/Georgtown just apply for scholly offers, but with no intention of going, and Northwestern wouldn't look at me because I won't have meaningful work experience.

Columbia is not that obvious here. That's why I asked what you'd do if you couldn't land LA Biglaw, which is a reality for most people at USC/UCLA and a meaningful number from places like Columbia too. If you'd shoot hard for LA small/mid-law or local gov stuff if you struck out at OCI then go to USC/UCLA. If you'd prefer to do biglaw elsewhere in the country over LA smalllaw then go T-14

I don't entirely agree. I think Columbia, Chicago and Berkeley would play strongest after Harvard and Yale (with Stanford obviously in the lead). Then Penn, then the rest & UCLA. I don't know about all firms in los angeles but for the two I have substantial recruiting experience with, the less selective one has a very generous cutoff for Harvard/Columbia students (it probably doesnt get many Chi) and a substantially stricter one for UVA/Michigan/ect; for the very selective one, it takes more students from CLS and Chicago than any school aside from HS. Other firms most likely fall inbetween.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I don't entirely agree. I think Columbia, Chicago and Berkeley would play strongest after Harvard and Yale (with Stanford obviously in the lead). Then Penn, then the rest & UCLA. I don't know about all firms in los angeles but for the two I have substantial recruiting experience with, the less selective one has a very generous cutoff for Harvard/Columbia students (it probably doesnt get many Chi) and a substantially stricter one for UVA/Michigan/ect; for the very selective one, it takes more students from CLS and Chicago than any school aside from HS. Other firms most likely fall inbetween.

I'm sure this is right but it only applies if price is no object. There is a pretty low chance of striking out from CCN, but a very real chance of striking out if you're only focused on LA. Shooting for LA Biglaw alone is like going to Georgetown for biglaw anywhere; you've got a decent shot but there's a serious risk of striking out. If the next option would be to shoot for LA small law if you do strike out, you're no better off at Columbia vs USC/UCLA. Is that difference in LA biglaw prospects worth something like 150k? Not for me

In OP's case it sounds like he's got a pretty big safety net via the family so it might make sense to take the better prospects (even for LA) from CCN.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I'm sure this is right but it only applies if price is no object. There is a pretty low chance of striking out from CCN, but a very real chance of striking out if you're only focused on LA. Shooting for LA Biglaw alone is like going to Georgetown for biglaw anywhere; you've got a decent shot but there's a serious risk of striking out. If the next option would be to shoot for LA small law if you do strike out, you're no better off at Columbia vs USC/UCLA. Is that difference in LA biglaw prospects worth something like 150k? Not for me

In OP's case it sounds like he's got a pretty big safety net via the family so it might make sense to take the better prospects (even for LA) from CCN.

Oh including money yes I agree completely.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:45 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I don't entirely agree. I think Columbia, Chicago and Berkeley would play strongest after Harvard and Yale (with Stanford obviously in the lead).

I agree with this except for the part about SLS. For Southern California, I think I'd almost rather be coming from HLS.

But after HYS, I agree that CLS/UChi/Boalt are about equal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”